PDA

View Full Version : Question for Coast Dawgs

Pescador
10-15-2014, 11:00 PM
I'm going to be in your area next week and will probably have some down time. Thought about bringing a rod and hitting a pier. Waste of time?

I'd appreciate any tips or recommendations on what to do.
The extent of my saltwater knowledge is a couple of guided redfish trips.

BeastMan
10-16-2014, 07:15 AM
Not a waste of time at all. Where are you going to be? You have options in BSL and Biloxi Bay I'd recommend

SpeckleDawg
10-16-2014, 09:56 AM
I would definitely bring it. As Beast said, Bay St. Louis and Biloxi Back Bay would both be great right now. Lots of great fishing in these areas this time of year. We'll get you some more details when we find out where you will be staying.

Pescador
10-16-2014, 01:01 PM
Not a waste of time at all. Where are you going to be? You have options in BSL and Biloxi Bay I'd recommend

So Biloxi Bay may be perfect. What should I throw this time of year?

Thanks for the help guys.

BeastMan
10-16-2014, 02:16 PM
I'd throw dead shrimp in the bottom. Sure fire way to catch fish. Redfish, black drum, croaker, white trout, ground mullet, and flounder all will eat dead shrimp. Trash fish like catfish & stingrays will hit it too. I'd do a Carolina rig w/a 3/4 ounce weight and a #1 size Khale hook.

Biloxi has a drive on fishing bridge that I've never fished but it's popular. Any pier in the Biloxi bay should be fine. The way people usually land fish off those high piers is a strong crab net on a rope. That way you scoop net the fish and pull it up.

Johnson85
10-16-2014, 05:58 PM
It may be getting cold enough that Speckle trout are moving back in toward the beach, so you might could do some wade fishing. Find some dark sports on google earth that are close in and you should be able to get close enough to cast from water that doesn't go far over your knees. Usually see people doing this in the spring as it's warming up and specs are gradually moving out to deeper water; no clue if it's a good method when they move back in.

BeastMan
10-16-2014, 06:40 PM
It may be getting cold enough that Speckle trout are moving back in toward the beach, so you might could do some wade fishing. Find some dark sports on google earth that are close in and you should be able to get close enough to cast from water that doesn't go far over your knees. Usually see people doing this in the spring as it's warming up and specs are gradually moving out to deeper water; no clue if it's a good method when they move back in.

It is

Johnson85
10-16-2014, 06:45 PM
It is

What would you use if you were wading out from the beach? Can you get live shrimp right now and is it worth it? Or can you get a bit on plastics?

Come down their fairly regularly but haven't done much fishing. Got a kayak just to bring with me down there and planned to start extending my trips by a day just to fish but just hasn't worked out yet.

BeastMan
10-16-2014, 08:11 PM
What would you use if you were wading out from the beach? Can you get live shrimp right now and is it worth it? Or can you get a bit on plastics?

Come down their fairly regularly but haven't done much fishing. Got a kayak just to bring with me down there and planned to start extending my trips by a day just to fish but just hasn't worked out yet.

When wading I use plastic under a popping cork a lot of the time. Jigs w/soft plastics are good too. Live bait would be good too, I've just never used it wading. I'm sure there are still some bait shops w/live shrimp.

EnterpriseDawg
10-17-2014, 10:47 AM
If you go fish in Biloxi Back Bay there is a old concrete pier on the south side by Keesler AFB. If you have a good tide there is a good current through there and I have caught some good flounder and trout in there, throwing with the tide to the east.

SpeckleDawg
10-17-2014, 02:06 PM
I'd throw dead shrimp in the bottom. Sure fire way to catch fish. Redfish, black drum, croaker, white trout, ground mullet, and flounder all will eat dead shrimp. Trash fish like catfish & stingrays will hit it too. I'd do a Carolina rig w/a 3/4 ounce weight and a #1 size Khale hook.

Biloxi has a drive on fishing bridge that I've never fished but it's popular. Any pier in the Biloxi bay should be fine. The way people usually land fish off those high piers is a strong crab net on a rope. That way you scoop net the fish and pull it up.

I mainly fish BSL these days, but I can guarantee what Beastman said above will be your best bet on either side of the Coast right now. Some dead shrimp on a carolina rig will surely catch you something. Check the tides and try to fish when there's some good movement.

SpeckleDawg
10-17-2014, 02:09 PM

I prefer using a soft plastics on jig heads, when wading. I have a lot of confidence in them and can cram several color combinations and spares, in a small fly box, in my wader pocket. You should be able to still get some live shrimp. I just don't like hauling around a bait bucket while wading. I try to take as few things as possible.

If you plan to fish down here with your kayak, I can point you to several of my kayak spots.

Pescador
10-18-2014, 08:37 PM
I mainly fish BSL these days, but I can guarantee what Beastman said above will be your best bet on either side of the Coast right now. Some dead shrimp on a carolina rig will surely catch you something. Check the tides and try to fish when there's some good movement.

Thanks guys. I'm pumped about going.