PDA

View Full Version : CBS Mock Draft: Dak in 2nd Round

Lloyd Christmas
10-15-2014, 01:24 PM
Currently projected as late second rounder at 58th overall:
http://www.elitedawgs.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=842&d=1413397219

McKinney projected as mid first rounder.

ShotgunDawg
10-15-2014, 01:28 PM
Any NFL mock draft that has Bo Wallace being drafted, is inaccurate.

TheRef
10-15-2014, 01:29 PM
Look where Bo is.....but...but...but.....HE'S THE BETTER QUARTERBACK!!!!

DistrictDawg92
10-15-2014, 01:35 PM
Dak ain't 6'1", don't know where that is coming from

Coach34
10-15-2014, 02:02 PM
This is going to be Dakota's last year in Sville

starkvegasdawg
10-15-2014, 02:07 PM
Just saw an article linked on a FB board saying that Dak is quoted as saying if he is projected first round he will declare. Supposedly on NFL.com. If true, then all you can say is thank you for your service to MSU. It's been a real pleasure. Anybody that plays football would be an idiot to to not go pro if they can be drafted in the first round. This is one sport where you can lose your career before you know it.

gtowndawg
10-15-2014, 02:08 PM
This is going to be Dakota's last year in Sville

I will officially give my blessing.

Todd4State
10-15-2014, 02:10 PM
Anyone know where Kiper and McShay have him rated?

TrapGame
10-15-2014, 02:11 PM
Hugh Kellenburger has been trying his hardest the last article to throw Bo in the Heisman talk. It's like saying Harvey Updyke really wants to be a tree surgeon.

Dawg496
10-15-2014, 02:12 PM
Damn. Didn't expect this. If he continues to improve his passing, no doubt he'll be a 1st rounder if he's already graded at round 2.

MafiaDawg
10-15-2014, 02:14 PM
Any reason why you completely ignore that Mullen says he would be "totally shocked" if Dak left? Don't you think he has a better grasp on it then you? If he's a first round grade, you absolutely go. But as great as he is, he has lots of NFL skills to improve on, most importantly accuracy and zip on his passes.

Political Hack
10-15-2014, 02:16 PM
Dak ain't 6'1", don't know where that is coming from

I know. right?

he's probably about 5'10".

Political Hack
10-15-2014, 02:17 PM
Dak ain't ready to go pro. Would be a bad decision. Also, any mock draft that has Petty behind Dak as an NFL
prospect isn't worth reading. Just like any Heisman list that has Petty before Dak isn't worth reading.

DistrictDawg92
10-15-2014, 02:43 PM
Let's look at this way. If Manziel got drafted in the first round, then Dak has too. At this point through the season Dak and Manziel( the year he won the Heisman) have almost identical rushing and passing stats. However, Dak's passing yards are different, he isn't getting the dink and dunk completions over and over again, He's throwing the ball down field and completing NFL back shoulder throws. I'm telling you, Sumlin creates system quarterbacks, look back to his QB's at Houston and Manziel and Hill, they all put up MONSTER numbers, but only because of the system, not because they are NFL passers. Also, Dak has size on Manziel, and his running style will be much more effective than JFF's in the league. Dak also has the intangibles and stays the hell out of trouble. Also, Dak is well on his way to doing something Manziel never did, which is winning something much bigger than the freakin Cotton Bowl. IMO, if you want to compare Dak to someone in the NFL, look no further than Colin Kaepernick. If Dak keeps it up this season he is gone and will be a top 20 pick, in fact, I believe Drew Brees is getting a little old, please dear Lord let this happen!

RossDawg82
10-15-2014, 02:59 PM
Let's look at this way. If Manziel got drafted in the first round, then Dak has too. At this point through the season Dak and Manziel( the year he won the Heisman) have almost identical rushing and passing stats. However, Dak's passing yards are different, he isn't getting the dink and dunk completions over and over again, He's throwing the ball down field and completing NFL back shoulder throws. I'm telling you, Sumlin creates system quarterbacks, look back to his QB's at Houston and Manziel and Hill, they all put up MONSTER numbers, but only because of the system, not because they are NFL passers. Also, Dak has size on Manziel, and his running style will be much more effective than JFF's in the league. Dak also has the intangibles and stays the hell out of trouble. Also, Dak is well on his way to doing something Manziel never did, which is winning something much bigger than the freakin Cotton Bowl. IMO, if you want to compare Dak to someone in the NFL, look no further than Colin Kaepernick. If Dak keeps it up this season he is gone and will be a top 20 pick, in fact, I believe Drew Brees is getting a little old, please dear Lord let this happen!

You also have to take into account how many more butts Manziel will put in the seats. That is the only reason that Manziel and Tebow were first round picks. Dak is a great leader and a great player but he is not the kinda figure that will raise season ticket prices like a Manziel. With that being said, IF he gets a 1st round grade, Mullen will be the first person to say it was a great pleasure coaching you and good luck.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-15-2014, 03:06 PM

I love Dak just as much as the next guy but Dak & Kaepernick aren't comparable at all. Kaep is 6'4" 230lbs & ran a 4.53 40 at the combine. He also has a cannon on his right shoulder. Kaep runs away from guys Dak is at his best running over guys. The physical running style that Dak posseses doesn't translate to the NFL at all. You don't want your QB taking the licks he receives in college in the NFL. The only QB who remotely runs physical like that is Cam & he's 6'6" 250lbs & he's starting to stay nicked up & injured too. Dak has a chance to move up in the 1st rd next year bc it won't be as many high profile QB's in that draft & he can work on his deficiencies for another year.

thf24
10-15-2014, 03:10 PM
Going with a first or second round grade might be the best short term decision, but for Dak, I think staying another year would really benefit him long term. He could use all the refinement on his passing that he can get in order to build some staying power in the NFL, and he would get more reps over a year as the starting QB of a college team than as a 2nd or 3rd QB with a pro team. QB's in the NFL tend to fade away or become stuck as a permanent 3rd stringer if they aren't a starter or clearly heir-apparent within two years, and I just don't see Dak right now as a sure-fire candidate to make one of those roles in that period of time. Maybe it's just a result of wishful thinking that he stays, but that's the way I see it.

DistrictDawg92
10-15-2014, 03:14 PM
You also have to take into account how many more butts Manziel will put in the seats. That is the only reason that Manziel and Tebow were first round picks. Dak is a great leader and a great player but he is not the kinda figure that will raise season ticket prices like a Manziel. With that being said, IF he gets a 1st round grade, Mullen will be the first person to say it was a great pleasure coaching you and good luck.

I see what your saying but Dak is becoming what Tebow and Manziel were as a national figure. It's hard for us to see that bc we have known of him all along. But turn your tv on and you will see him every day on ESPN, he was on the front page of yahoo.com and now the cover page of SI. His story with his upbringing and his mothers passing has now been featured twice on college gameday. He is the biggest name in college football right now, and if he can make postseason noise and win the heisman he will be just as much as a household name as JFF or Tebow. It's hard for us to see this bc we are living in Mississippi but it is happening, the whole sporting world is rooting for our Dak Prescott.

On a funny side note, id be willing to bet more people in America know Dak Prescott's name than the St. Louis Rams starting QB Austin Davis's name.

lachepas565
10-15-2014, 03:15 PM
Does anyone know his family's money situation? Because unless his dad needs some money, I would advise him to stay (if I was asked). Now, if his dad needs some money, how can you fault the kid for going for it. 2nd round money makes a big difference if your family is in a tight.

However, looking at some of the QBs ranked ahead of him, it wouldn't surprise me if he moved up some boards. Winston is being taken off some boards completely and Hundley has shown no pocket presence. Cook may make a decent pro, but I haven't seen it.

QB is about the only position that I think should stay and grow. RBs, especially need to keep the hits off their body as much as possible until they're getting paid for it - wouldn't surprise me if Robinson declares.

drunkernhelldawg
10-15-2014, 03:16 PM
Hopefully, he'll want to stay another year. I doubt it, but I have hope. Manziel may never perform as expected, just like a lot of great college qb's who never got the pro rhythm going. It's surprising to me that these guys keep getting drafted so high with the track record, but I guess it's worth it on the chance of scoring a Luck or Newton. RGIII had a great first year, but look at the disaster that's brought on the redskins now, not to mention countless fantasy teams that are SOL.

TopDog58
10-15-2014, 03:19 PM
Anyone know where Kiper and McShay have him rated?

McShay had a blurb not too long ago, couple of weeks, saying that he thinks that Dak needs another year of college football. But at this point he'd grade him out as a 3rd or 4th rounder.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-15-2014, 03:20 PM
He is the biggest name in college football right now.

Jameis Winston & it's not close.

DistrictDawg92
10-15-2014, 03:25 PM
Jameis Winston & it's not close.

For all the wrong reasons, when your considering play on the field Dak is the biggest name in college football right now. Robert Sterling may have been the biggest name out of all the NBA owners last year, but he definitely wasn't the best, and definitely no one was rooting for him.

TopDog58
10-15-2014, 03:25 PM
Most 3 round Mock Drafts out there floating around now don't even list Dak. A few have Sean Mannion going in the 3rd, who is listed well below Dak according to CBS. Just not sure how accurate that CBS list is. Connor Cooks is not going in the first round either. That looks more like a wishful thinking list than an actual projection.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-15-2014, 03:27 PM
Most 3 round Mock Drafts out there floating around now don't even list Dak. A few have Sean Mannion going in the 3rd, who is listed well below Dak according to CBS. Just not sure how accurate that CBS list is. Connor Cooks is not going in the first round either. That looks more like a wishful thinking list than an actual projection.

I've seen Connor Cook's name in the 1st rd in most mock drafts that are out right now.

Political Hack
10-15-2014, 03:42 PM

Mannion is a better NFL prospect. People need to realize Dak will not bowl over NFL LBs and Safeties like he does in college. That LSU Heisman moment doesn't happen against an NFL S. He's a GREAT college player... may end up having one of the better seasons in the HISTORY OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL... ever.... but, he has to be able to work from the pocket 95% of the time in NFL and he's got more work to do there.

Most QBs who grade out in the 3rd or 4th their Jr seasons come back. I wouldn't expect Dak's decision to stray from the norm.

deltadawg99
10-15-2014, 03:57 PM
Dak needs to stay to improve his passing, but if he gets a first or second round grade he needs to go.

Manziel was a much more polished passer than Dak when he came out.

defiantdog
10-15-2014, 04:19 PM
Dak will go after this season. Especially if he finishes the season out strong and wins the heisman. There's a reason Dan has loaded us up at the QB position next year

DancingRabbit
10-15-2014, 04:20 PM
What is the difference in 1st and 2nd round money? Are the contract lengths standardized?

In a Mullen-type college offense Dak is awesome. He doesn't quite look like an NFL QB to me yet. But if he could go somewhere that's a good situation and be able to sit for a year, that would be as good for his development as playing another year here.

When these high profile college athletes get insurance policies covering injury possibilities, who can pay for that? Can MSU pay for it?

Thanks for any answers.

solodawg
10-15-2014, 04:31 PM
Dak will go after this season. Especially if he finishes the season out strong and wins the heisman. There's a reason Dan has loaded us up at the QB position next year

I think Dak would be crazy not to go if he is assured of the first round. I would hate to lose him early but I believe we have in Dan, one of the best developers of qb's in college football.

Political Hack
10-15-2014, 04:32 PM
What is the difference in 1st and 2nd round money? Are the contract lengths standardized?

In a Mullen-type college offense Dak is awesome. He doesn't quite look like an NFL QB to me yet. But if he could go somewhere that's a good situation and be able to sit for a year, that would be as good for his development as playing another year here.

When these high profile college athletes get insurance policies covering injury possibilities, who can pay for that? Can MSU pay for it?

Thanks for any answers.

rookie contracts are 3-4 years. depending on where you're taken the difference between 1st and 2nd round can be millions over that period.

I think they can arrange delayed payment to come from 1) their initial signing bonus or 2) out of the insurance payment if they get hurt. Not sure what happens in a flop case, but those type guys usually don't get insured regardless.

Coach34
10-15-2014, 04:34 PM
I dont want Dakota to leave- but I'm telling you- if he is going to get drafted in the 1st 3 rounds be prepared for him to leave.

He is not going to get taller.
He already has a cannon
He wont have to run the ball 185 times in the NFL next year

How many players have left that should have stayed and learned??? If he stays- awesome. I'm just saying get prepared.

Coach34
10-15-2014, 04:35 PM
NFL rookie contracts for 2014:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/5/18/5727546/nfl-rookie-contracts-signed-2014-draft

ShotgunDawg
10-15-2014, 04:52 PM
I'm not worried abou this in the least. Mullen has had tremendous success letting the right people go pro (Fletcher Cox) and getting the right people to come back (Banks). Dak has a tremendous head on his shoulders and, if past history is any indication, will be properly advised by our coaching staff.

Obviously Mullen, currently, believes Dak will be back or he wouldn't have said what he said. Dak is a very smart individual and will have all the resources and support to make the right decision.

Todd4State
10-15-2014, 04:53 PM
NFL rookie contracts for 2014:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/5/18/5727546/nfl-rookie-contracts-signed-2014-draft

To me in general it looks like you make twice as much if you are drafted in the first round plus you get the option for a fifth year. The lesson there to me is make darn sure you are drafted in the first round.