PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Butch Thompson!!

Thick
10-15-2014, 12:11 PM
National Assistant Coach of the Year for 2014.
http://ow.ly/2PaaCo

Political Hack
10-15-2014, 12:12 PM
nice. well deserved every year IMO.

BrunswickDawg
10-15-2014, 12:52 PM
I hope we are paying the man!

Homedawg
10-15-2014, 01:11 PM
I hope we are paying the man!

He's being well paid! When he leaves -and that's when not if, it will be to become a head coach. He's had opportunities, and won't just jump at anything, but he wants to be a head coach. He also loves it here and dearly wants a national championship.

DistrictDawg92
10-15-2014, 01:17 PM
I'm almost surprised no MLB teams have been in touch with him about being a pitching coach at the next level.

shoeless joe
10-15-2014, 01:52 PM
I'm almost surprised no MLB teams have been in touch with him about being a pitching coach at the next level.

Not saying he isn't capable of coaching pro ball but it really is quite a big difference. Moreso, in my opinion, than football or basketball. Prolly why coaches don't jump from college to pro as much as other sports.

DistrictDawg92
10-15-2014, 01:58 PM
Not saying he isn't capable of coaching pro ball but it really is quite a big difference. Moreso, in my opinion, than football or basketball. Prolly why coaches don't jump from college to pro as much as other sports.

What would the difference in a college pitching coaches pay check and a minor league pitching coaches pay check be?

MsStateBaseball
10-15-2014, 02:03 PM
Usually it is former pro pitchers who become pitching coaches.

I think he has two daughters in middle school, so I wouldn't think he is going anywhere until they are gone. My thoughts.

Todd4State
10-15-2014, 02:08 PM
What would the difference in a college pitching coaches pay check and a minor league pitching coaches pay check be?

In Butch's case, he would probably make significantly less in minor league baseball than he is at MSU.

Of course, you could make a case that you have more upward mobility in pro baseball than you do in college.

ScottH
10-15-2014, 03:55 PM
In Butch's case, he would probably make significantly less in minor league baseball than he is at MSU.

There are very few college head coaching jobs that pay more than what Butch makes.

Todd4State
10-15-2014, 03:58 PM
There are very few college head coaching jobs that pay more than what Butch makes.

Correct.

DawgPoundtheRock
10-15-2014, 04:13 PM
Still, it's always nice to see people associated with MSU getting recognition. Can't hurt recruiting either.

Todd4State
10-15-2014, 04:39 PM
Still, it's always nice to see people associated with MSU getting recognition. Can't hurt recruiting either.

Absolutely. Butch is one of the best pitching coaches in college to play for. And he has an understanding of sidearm/submarine mechanics too- which is something a lot of pitching coaches don't have. Lindgren will be up in MLB next year, and Stratton has a chance to be called up if he has a good year. And then Graveman made it up this year. All of those things help.