PDA

View Full Version : Dez Harris...

maroonmania
10-14-2014, 08:51 PM
Anyone know his injury situation? Came off the field last Saturday with a noticeable limp on the play where we muffed the punt.

bgover4
10-14-2014, 08:53 PM
Torn acl

DudyDawg
10-14-2014, 08:53 PM
Torn acl, done for year. Not the same one he tore in hs tho. Big bummer, hope he recovers well and uses this time to work on reading Ds, he will be big in the lb rotation in the middle next season IMO with Bmac gone

maroonmania
10-14-2014, 08:55 PM
Dang, he will be counted on next year. Would he be expected to be back at full strength by next Fall?

I seen it dawg
10-14-2014, 08:57 PM
Yes. It's a 9-10 month deal at most

DudyDawg
10-14-2014, 08:57 PM
I'm no doctor, but I believe it depends on the severity of the tear, which I don't know

Brad Stevens
10-14-2014, 09:01 PM
There are a lot of factors involved in recovery. The good thing being an athlete is he will more than likely have a great surgeon and excellent rehab. Every person's body can act different in the healing process, too. The graft choice (patellar tendon, quad tendon, hamstring tendon, cadaver graft) can all make a difference in recovery time and secondary deficits.

I seen it dawg
10-14-2014, 09:04 PM
I'm no doctor, but I believe it depends on the severity of the tear, which I don't know

Tear means it's torn. There isn't any in between with these.

DudyDawg
10-14-2014, 09:07 PM
Tear means it's torn. There isn't any in between with these.

Like I said, not a doctor. Thought it could be a partial or full tear though, and I don't remember reading either

I seen it dawg
10-14-2014, 09:13 PM
Like I said, not a doctor. Thought it could be a partial or full tear though, and I don't remember reading either

I understand. Full tear is a full tear. Partial tear in an athlete is a full tear (for you and me you can sometimes get away with not fixing it). In an athlete you have to either take it all the way down or if possible just replace one of the bundles (ACL is actually comprised of 2 bundles). Even if you replace one of the bundles it's still the same as a full ACL as far as the surgery goes and he graft having to incorporate into the body.

Eta: and even if the ACL is intact but it's function is compromised you still will take it down and do a reconstruction. During the surgery it may look decent but it's damaged enough to lose function. At that point it may as well have exploded.

DudyDawg
10-14-2014, 09:15 PM
I understand. Full tear is a full tear. Partial tear in an athlete is a full tear (for you and me you can sometimes get away with not fixing it). In an athlete you have to either take it all the way down or if possible just replace one of the bundles (ACL is actually comprised of 2 bundles). Even if you replace one of the bundles it's still the same as a full ACL as far as the surgery goes and he graft having to incorporate into the body.

Eta: and even if the ACL is intact but it's function is compromised you still will take it down and do a reconstruction. During the surgery it may look decent but it's damaged enough to lose function. At that point it may as well have exploded.

Gotcha. Should we expect him back by southern miss next year or is that greedy?

I seen it dawg
10-14-2014, 09:23 PM
Gotcha. Should we expect him back by southern miss next year or is that greedy?

With him having the injury Saturday the clock will start at surgery time. Depending on swelling and the dr philosophy he may have the surgery this week or could be in a month. Prob be closer to the former being that his quad strength(very important due to losing strength immediately after surgery-big part of rehab is gaining it back, obviously the stronger going in the quicker it comes back) will be outstanding due to him being a high performance athlete. If he has the surgery November 1 and with no setbacks we could, and should, conceivably see him at full strength by USM (10 months post op). Good part for him he's not a skill player and he doesn't have to cut as much so game speed should come back a little quicker as well. (What you hear about RBs taking a whole year after they come back to be back to what they were-if they get back. Unless they are Adrian Peterson)

DudyDawg
10-14-2014, 09:40 PM
Gotcha, as long as he gets back to full health and can help by the big stretches of next year I'll be happy. Thanks for the info, luckily I've never torn an acl. Knock on wood

dawgs
10-14-2014, 09:58 PM

Partial tears are grade 2 sprains.

I seen it dawg
10-14-2014, 10:05 PM
Partial tears are grade 2 sprains.

That's correct. Pushing the limits of a grade 2 however gets into the spot where the partial tear is enough where function is compromised and in an athlete a reconstruction is done. Grade 2s aren't really that common though. Usually the in between doesn't happen it goes to a 3 which is a full tear.
Eta: although with some grade 2s guys can try to play depending on the stability of the joint. If they are able to brace it and control the stability somewhat it's probably really a grade 1.

Dawg Tired
10-15-2014, 04:49 AM
One thing Mullen said in the press conference in response to the injury report was he doesn't like burning redshirts this late in the season but the coaches are evaluating it. Wonder if they are considering JT Gray?