PDA

View Full Version : Qb situation

msstate7
10-14-2014, 07:22 PM
Let's say we win it all, Dak gets heisman, and then he goes pro. Who you think gets the most snaps at qb next season?

smootness
10-14-2014, 07:25 PM
I don't care because I will be in a coma.

Political Hack
Big Staley vs Nicky Fitz.

msstate7
I don't care because I will be in a coma.

Haha nice

msstate7
10-14-2014, 07:28 PM

I'm thinking so too. Williams really saved our bacon against ark last season, but I'll be surprised if he ends his career here. 2 more qb's coming in next season so that would make 5 (6 if Dak stays). I have no preference though. I'd be happy with williams if he was the best

gravedigger
10-14-2014, 07:37 PM
Fitz would be my guess. But id also say that williams and staley will not let him fail to earn it.

Homedawg
10-14-2014, 07:46 PM
Staley by the time all is said and done.

Coach34
10-14-2014, 07:56 PM
I like Staley's chances- but Fitz is gonna make it tough. I honestly think we may end up playing both in 2015

At this point- I dont expect Dakota to return

JDog13
10-14-2014, 07:58 PM
I think Dak comes back. I think he can get better in his passing game, and his mom wanted him to get his degree. I know you can always come back and finish the degree.

Coach34
10-14-2014, 08:02 PM
4 years and 4 summers- how do you know he wont have a degree by Christmas???

1bigdawg
10-14-2014, 08:04 PM
Let's say we win it all, Dak gets heisman, and then he goes pro. Who you think gets the most snaps at qb next season?

Based on what the scouts are saying, Dak would be much better served spending another year in college. The only benefit to questions like this is to help those that are recruiting against us because they can say Dak will be gone, even msstate7 says so. Even though you just askedthe question, that's the way it will be presented.

Enjoy the season. Don't bring up potentially negative points about "next year."

msstate7
10-14-2014, 08:11 PM
Based on what the scouts are saying, Dak would be much better served spending another year in college. The only benefit to questions like this is to help those that are recruiting against us because they can say Dak will be gone, even msstate7 says so. Even though you just askedthe question, that's the way it will be presented.

I don't consider a NC, heisman, and a classy, young man (my favorite bulldog ever) being drafted as negative points. I hardly see any of these affecting recruiting in a negative way

JDog13
10-14-2014, 08:12 PM
4 years and 4 summers- how do you know he wont have a degree by Christmas???

Forgive me, wife is bein a douche nozzle. I totally overlooked the red shirt. You're right, seems like our fifth year guys have graduated at Christmas or the semester before.

smootness
10-14-2014, 08:16 PM

I sincerely hope people are trying to use our QB being a stud and leaving early to be a top draft pick, opening up more playing time, against us in recruiting.

msstate7
10-14-2014, 08:21 PM
I sincerely hope people are trying to use our QB being a stud and leaving early to be a top draft pick, opening up more playing time, against us in recruiting.

Well all those early entries kill lsu and bama's recruiting**

RougeDawg
10-14-2014, 08:26 PM
Either way, this would be an awesome problem to have.

starkvegasdawg
10-14-2014, 08:32 PM
Who would have ever thought we'd have a QB that could play pro ball at any level? Until Dak we were lucky to have one that'd make the practice squad for an arena league team. While I'd love to have him back next year, if he keeps producing at this level and a nfl team says we'd take you in the first round I say thank you, sir, for your services and how you represented the university. It was an honor to watch you play. Now go become a millionaire. Having players leave early in the first round only helps recruiting. Especially when those players were not highly recruited. That shows future recruits that you are developed and coached properly and that you can still make the show if you don't start with five stars by your name.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-14-2014, 08:36 PM
I think Dak comes back & Virgil is his successor in 2016.

BurgDawg
10-14-2014, 08:40 PM
Dak graduates in December I was speaking with his family before the auburn game very nice people might I add

msstate7
10-14-2014, 08:40 PM

Virgil is intriguing to me. He's obviously the most polished passer out of HS that we'll have signed. He's much smaller though. Would he hold up with all the inside running our qb's do?

deltadawg99
10-14-2014, 08:41 PM
Dak has gotten much better at passing but he still has a lot of room to improve. Another year would do him good.

msstate7
10-14-2014, 08:44 PM
Dak has gotten much better at passing but he still has a lot of room to improve. Another year would do him good.

I certainly want him back. If he can get drafted, I'd understand leaving though. Whatever team drafts him will be my new favorite

Westdawg
10-14-2014, 08:48 PM
Unless we have MAJOR attrition, there is no way Virgil sees anything but a redshirt year and them at least another year or more of signaling in plays from the sideline.

gravedigger
10-14-2014, 08:52 PM
The only benefit to questions like this is to help those that are recruiting against us because they can say Dak will be gone, even msstate7 says so.

In a week where it seemed impossible for anyone with a brain to exceed the level of dumbassedness that auburn fans are exhibiting, you pulled it off with this.

So, In your mind, a recruiter for an opposing school will tell a potential target of ours that a random msu fan on a message board believes dak will go pro and this will be taken NEGATIVELY to the point the recruit wont come to state.

Congrats on surviving the lobotomy.

msstate7
10-14-2014, 08:55 PM
In a week where it seemed impossible for anyone with a brain to exceed the level of dumbassedness that auburn fans are exhibiting, you pulled it off with this.

So, In your mind, a recruiter for an opposing school will tell a potential target of ours that a random msu fan on a message board believes dak will go pro and this will be taken NEGATIVELY to the point the recruit wont come to state.

Congrats on surviving the lobotomy.

I'm just glad other schools' recruiters quote me. Really makes me feel like somebody*

Political Hack
10-14-2014, 08:56 PM
I don't think Dak goes pro, but if he starts drawing Russell Wilson comparisons during workouts, it could propel him up a round or two. I still do to see him as more than a 3 rd or 4 th round guy right now.

Coach34
10-14-2014, 09:01 PM
I agree that he is a 3rd-4th rounder right now. But those guys sign for 3 million over 4 years and that might be enough to draw him out. We'll see

I seen it dawg
10-14-2014, 09:02 PM
He needs to polish his passing skills during th off season. His draft stock would rise staying another year. That being said you can't put anything on him he can't handle and excel at. I could totally see him win the Heisman, NC and then between January and the combine work his way from a 3rd rounder to low first by blowing away scouts and nfl people in workouts, interviews, and combines. You can't put limits on this kid. He's just different. He has what manziel doesn't.

gravedigger
10-14-2014, 09:06 PM
Well. Just to be on the safe side, better not be too supportive of dak graduating in December.

Recruits families could think their kids could get an education. Would be devastating.

Mstate7, take a vow of silence.

And figure out a way to ride with me and tusk to tuscaloosa in November.

ShotgunDawg
10-14-2014, 09:09 PM
I think Dak needs to stay another year as well, but the damn kid keeps getting better every game. By the time the season ends, there's no telling how good he could be.

msstate7
10-14-2014, 09:11 PM
Well. Just to be on the safe side, better not be too supportive of dak graduating in December.

Recruits families could think their kids could get an education. Would be devastating.

Mstate7, take a vow of silence.

And figure out a way to ride with me and tusk to tuscaloosa in November.

I'll see what I can do

CadaverDawg
10-14-2014, 09:12 PM
Dak will be back next year UNLESS we win it all and/or he wins the Heisman. Even then he might be back...but I think he definitely comes back if we don't do either of those.

SDDawg
10-14-2014, 09:37 PM
Dak will come back because he'll have a chance to make history, he likes playing here and playing with Dan and he can only improve his stock for 2016. I could be wrong, but I'll be surprised if Dak doesn't stay for his 5th year.

War Machine Dawg
10-14-2014, 09:58 PM
He needs to polish his passing skills during th off season. His draft stock would rise staying another year. That being said you can't put anything on him he can't handle and excel at. I could totally see him win the Heisman, NC and then between January and the combine work his way from a 3rd rounder to low first by blowing away scouts and nfl people in workouts, interviews, and combines. You can't put limits on this kid. He's just different. He has what manziel doesn't.

This is pretty much exactly how I see it playing out, should it happen. He's a freak of nature and is getting better every week. And as you point out, he'll MURDER the interview portion of the combine. Ian Rappoport tweeted 2-3 weeks ago that a GM told him Dak "is Tim Tebow, but he can actually throw. Interesting prospect." You're kidding yourself if you don't think NFL scouts and GMs aren't seriously intrigued with Dak.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-14-2014, 10:22 PM
Virgil is intriguing to me. He's obviously the most polished passer out of HS that we'll have signed. He's much smaller though. Would he hold up with all the inside running our qb's do?

He wouldn't do the inside runs that we have with Relf & Dak. If you can think back to Mullen 1st year & Tyson Lee's qb runs. They were all on the perimeter & with Virgil's speed he should be effective at it. After a spring & rs year in the weight room you're prolly looking at 6'2" 210lbs which would be plenty big enough.

War Machine Dawg
10-14-2014, 10:30 PM
He wouldn't do the inside runs that we have with Relf & Dak. If you can think back to Mullen 1st year & Tyson Lee's qb runs. They were all on the perimeter & with Virgil's speed he should be effective at it. After a spring & rs year in the weight room you're prolly looking at 6'2" 210lbs which would be plenty big enough.

He'll run inside some, it just won't be the power runs. Think Nick Marshall for the best comparison. Mostly outside runs, but occasionally inside to keep the D honest.

Todd4State
10-14-2014, 10:41 PM
If I were Dak, I would be leaning towards coming back at this point. I would focus on mastering the passing game and get to where I could be a first round pick without any question. I think if he comes back for his senior season, he could be the top pick in the draft.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-14-2014, 10:49 PM
He'll run inside some, it just won't be the power runs. Think Nick Marshall for the best comparison. Mostly outside runs, but occasionally inside to keep the D honest.

Yea I agree with that just saying he won't be doing all the inside running taking that pounding.

justwin
10-14-2014, 11:34 PM
Mullen is going to play both of them......and it's going to be glorious

Johnson85
10-15-2014, 08:57 AM
I agree that he is a 3rd-4th rounder right now. But those guys sign for 3 million over 4 years and that might be enough to draw him out. We'll see

If that's guaranteed, I'd honestly probably tell him to go for that. Him not being an idiot takes a lot of the pressure off though. On the one hand, if he gets $3M guaranteed over four years and doesn't get another contract, he's smart enough and polished enough that he will have a nice little nest egg before he starts his after football career. On teh other hand, if he stays another year and the dead indians strike, between being likable and all the good will he has built up from his time at state, he'll still be more than ok. Hell, he wins the heisman and he might make more money selling home and auto insurance in Jackson or Starkville than he would being a backup qb in teh NFL.

Johnson85
10-15-2014, 08:59 AM

I know Virgil is good, I just find it hard to believe he's going to pass Staley, Fitzgerald, and Williams with one year in the program. If he is really speedier than the other three, I think his only time as a RSFr or true sophomore will be as a change of pace QB with a package of plays.

Political Hack
10-15-2014, 12:42 PM

no doubt that's a lot of $, but he would go from $3M over 3 years to about $2M a year over 4 years if e can get to the first round. A 2nd contract isn't gauranteed, so he needs to make sure he's wet with the first. I can't see him being a 1st rounder with his skill set/meausrables, but he could potentially be a 2nd rounder.

Itll be interesting to see where he's being slotted at the end of the year and then talk about his top end spot the following year.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-15-2014, 12:53 PM
I know Virgil is good, I just find it hard to believe he's going to pass Staley, Fitzgerald, and Williams with one year in the program. If he is really speedier than the other three, I think his only time as a RSFr or true sophomore will be as a change of pace QB with a package of plays.

He would have had 2 springs,2 summers, & 1 full season to have developed physically & mentally in terms of learning the offense & leading the team. It's not too much of a stretch.

Johnson85
10-15-2014, 01:07 PM
He would have had 2 springs,2 summers, & 1 full season to have developed physically & mentally in terms of learning the offense & leading the team. It's not too much of a stretch.

I guess I'm wondering what people are seeing him do to make them think he will pass two other good prospects in Fitz and Staley. He'll most likely be a RFr at that point. If he's not a special talent as in JFF or Jameis Winston talenet, it just seems unlikely that he's going to pass both of them, especially when they both have great good measurables also.

Covercorner2
10-15-2014, 01:19 PM
http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/10/14/mississippi-state-dan-mullen-inside-read

I think this link explains what we need to know about Dak's draft situation...

ShotgunDawg
10-15-2014, 01:23 PM
http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/10/14/mississippi-state-dan-mullen-inside-read

I think this link explains what we need to know about Dak's draft situation...

I read that.

It's amazing how much more coverage you get when your number 1.

I mean, what QB wouldn't leave school if they were a projected 1st rounder? Dak should absolutely leave if offered that opportunity.

That being said, Ian Rappaport just quoted an anonymous GM that said Dak needs anothe year. Either way, it's great for MSU.

msstate7
10-15-2014, 01:24 PM
I guess I'm wondering what people are seeing him do to make them think he will pass two other good prospects in Fitz and Staley. He'll most likely be a RFr at that point. If he's not a special talent as in JFF or Jameis Winston talenet, it just seems unlikely that he's going to pass both of them, especially when they both have great good measurables also.

Virgil is killing highest division of TX football with his passing. He's a much more polished passer. His running will make or break him here though.

notoriousdog
10-15-2014, 01:37 PM
We'll see how the rest of the year plays out. He definitely needs to improve his accuracy. His completion percentage has been around 60% his entire career, which is good, but 60 is the new 50 with the way offenses are run.

DawgPoundtheRock
10-15-2014, 02:23 PM
The scouting reports that I've seen say Dak needs another year of college to work on his passing technique. He's fine on the short and intermediate throws, but drops his elbow on the deep throw which causes the ball to sail.

However, if he can get a $3M payday, it may be difficult to turn down. Every play he runs next year increases the chance of injury and possibly no payday in the pros.

defiantdog
10-15-2014, 02:39 PM
Virgil is killing highest division of TX football with his passing. He's a much more polished passer. His running will make or break him here though.

He's not in the highest division of TX football.... he's 5A

msstate7
10-15-2014, 02:41 PM
He's not in the highest division of TX football.... he's 5A

My bad. Heard wrong. Thanks

quickstrike2
10-15-2014, 03:04 PM
Obviously would want Dak, but I could understand him leaving and would definitely thank him for his service and all the great moments that came with it.

Very intrigued by Fitz, heard good things, and think he could be a strong bodied qb to run the spread. Also, very intrigued by Staley, seems like a natural to run the spread with great height. Williams would be the 3rd option from my viewpoint, not that he's bad, just think the others may have more potential.

defiantdog
10-15-2014, 03:04 PM
My bad. Heard wrong. Thanks

All good man.... he's in the same division Fred Ross was in. So we at least know the type of talent he'll be contributing.