PDA

View Full Version : Less than a year ago many on this board...

BogeyGolfer
10-14-2014, 02:57 PM
Wanted to fire Mullen and hire Hud. Think on that for a minute... Damn

Dawgheadcheese
10-14-2014, 03:14 PM
Regardless of how many here were talking that crap, it was not the opinion of 97% of our fan base. And it is ridiculous for some of the sports programs to be mentioning the "hot seat" of Mullen last year as if it was the case - and how now only 12 months later our team is #1 for the first time in history. I can guarantee the none of the MSU brass had any thought in their mind of firing Mullen. Just silly crap that is said on internet boards. It's where the absolute worst of fans comes to the surface.

HoopsDawg
10-14-2014, 03:15 PM

Are you shsdawg from 247?

Lloyd Christmas
10-14-2014, 03:20 PM

I can admit that I was starting to board the Hud train at one point last year. Luckily our AD and most of our fanbase never did. Hell Mullen was given a contract extension last year BEFORE we went on the big run at the end of the season.

The fact is that last year Dan DID make some mistakes. The biggest two were the playing of Tyler Russell and Perkins over Dak and JRob when it was obvious who the better talents were. Irregardless, Dan has made me and many others look like idiots this season and I am thankful for that.

TheRef
10-14-2014, 03:21 PM
HUD HUD HUD HUD HUD HUD

Todd4State
10-14-2014, 03:33 PM
Well, most of the Hud people wanted Dan to play Dak and Robinson more and that was part of the reason for wanting him gone.

It's pretty funny for some of our fans to call out the Hud people when Dan is finally doing what most of the Hud fans wanted him to do last year and is winning with what many of us suggested.

In fact, if we had started Robinson we probably at a minimum beat Auburn and maybe Texas A&M. I say that having the hindsight of knowing that Dak was injured.

TrapGame
10-14-2014, 03:41 PM
Less than a year ago we looked like warm crap. Dak had not practiced in the Spring and was nowhere near 100% to replace a more banged up Russell and Robinson was seeing more bench time than field time.

Todd4State
10-14-2014, 03:43 PM
Less than a year ago we looked like warm crap. Dak had not practiced in the Spring and was nowhere near 100% to replace a more banged up Russell and Robinson was seeing more bench time than field time.

Not to mention our special teams has now gone from bad to average. Which I will certainly take at this point.

HoopsDawg
10-14-2014, 03:48 PM
Well, most of the Hud people wanted Dan to play Dak and Robinson more and that was part of the reason for wanting him gone.

It's pretty funny for some of our fans to call out the Hud people when Dan is finally doing what most of the Hud fans wanted him to do last year and is winning with what many of us suggested.

In fact, if we had started Robinson we probably at a minimum beat Auburn and maybe Texas A&M. I say that having the hindsight of knowing that Dak was injured.

We win the Gator bowl vs Northwestern if Mullen leaves Dak and Robinson in the game and build momentum for the 2013 season. Maybe Mullen didn't want the QB controversy, who knows. Water under the bridge.

blacklistedbully
10-14-2014, 03:52 PM
I cannot believe you are picking that scab AGAIN. i LOVE that Dan has turned it around, and am fully back on the Dan bandwagon, where I have been for all but a month or so of the entire time he has been here.

But don't think what he has done this year has completely whitewashed what he did last year. He made numerous BONEHEAD, ILLOGICAL decisions that absolutely warranted the talk that he needed to possibly go. He's come back this year and done such a good job it's overcome the really stupid shit he pulled last year. I hope it's more because he learned, rather than he just doesn't have Perk to fun up the middle time-after-time-after-time anymore. No, this year he has JRob to do that, the same JRob Dan had LAST YEAR that showed he could do that work that Perk couldn't last year, especially with a QB back there that is an equal threat to run & throw.

Dan sat JRob on the bench last year and badly misused Perk in a role that we can see was IDEAL for JRob. That was really bad coaching last year, period! Dan also took his foot off the gas way too early and way to often last year. This year he did it once (LSU) and admitted he did, then made adjustments. I bet part of that has to do with the shitstorm that started to develop last year, and Dan learned.

Damn you for trying to bring this BS up yet again, just when everybody is happy that it has turned around and nobody is complaining much about Dan. And SCREW this idea that those of us who were fed up last year are somehow proven wrong for our opinions last year. WE WEREN'T! Dan is just doing a much better job this year to go along with all the positives we loved about him, even when we were pissed last year.

Please stop trying to bring up this crap again, now that we're all pulling in the same direction. Those who spent time last year ready for Dan to go had solid reasons, just as we have solid reasons for being really happy he stayed and got his shit together.

MadDawg
10-14-2014, 03:58 PM
It's obvious the "FIRE DAN! HIRE HUD!" folks are who caused Mullen to re-learn how to coach. If not for them, we might be 2-4 right now. ***

Lloyd Christmas
10-14-2014, 04:00 PM
I cannot believe you are picking that scab AGAIN. i LOVE that Dan has turned it around, and am fully back on the Dan bandwagon, where I have been for all but a month or so of the entire time he has been here.

But don't think what he has done this year has completely whitewashed what he did last year. He made numerous BONEHEAD, ILLOGICAL decisions that absolutely warranted the talk that he needed to possibly go. He's come back this year and done such a good job it's overcome the really stupid shit he pulled last year. I hope it's more because he learned, rather than he just doesn't have Perk to fun up the middle time-after-time-after-time anymore. No, this year he has JRob to do that, the same JRob Dan had LAST YEAR that showed he could do that work that Perk couldn't last year, especially with a QB back there that is an equal threat to run & throw.

Dan sat JRob on the bench last year and badly misused Perk in a role that we can see was IDEAL for JRob. That was really bad coaching last year, period! Dan also took his foot off the gas way too early and way to often last year. This year he did it once (LSU) and admitted he did, then made adjustments. I bet part of that has to do with the shitstorm that started to develop last year, and Dan learned.

Damn you for trying to bring this BS up yet again, just when everybody is happy that it has turned around and nobody is complaining much about Dan. And SCREW this idea that those of us who were fed up last year are somehow proven wrong for our opinions last year. WE WEREN'T! Dan is just doing a much better job this year to go along with all the positives we loved about him, even when we were pissed last year.

Please stop trying to bring up this crap again, now that we're all pulling in the same direction. Those who spent time last year ready for Dan to go had solid reasons, just as we have solid reasons for being really happy he stayed and got his shit together.

Bravo.

Coach34
10-14-2014, 04:07 PM
It's obvious the "FIRE DAN! HIRE HUD!" folks are who caused Mullen to re-learn how to coach. If not for them, we might be 2-4 right now. ***

Yep- Mullen needed that competition to elevate himself

sleepy dawg
10-14-2014, 04:19 PM
We go from Fire Dan to We Believe back to Fire Dan back to he's okay, back to fire dan, to maybe we should start considering a statue.

We are MSTATE.

BogeyGolfer
10-14-2014, 04:24 PM

You and many others were wrong. Deal with it and admit it.

FISHDAWG
10-14-2014, 04:26 PM
hey ... he still tried a fake punt on our own 30 yd line when we were up 21 points with momentum ....that is a boneheaded call

Really Clark?
10-14-2014, 04:38 PM

To be fair though, there was a large segment who had solid reasons, from their point of view, that he should be retained regardless and they were right as well. And as far as specific personnel, some of his decisions were valid even though the fan base disagreed, he was right. Not us. Not across the board anyway and I do believe he purposefully changed some this offseason but he had the benefit of making decisions from inside the program and we don't. Don't forget the segment upset over the playtime of two specific DT. That was absolutely the right call from him.

Johnson85
10-14-2014, 04:47 PM

No, not many others. Very few people wanted Dan to be fired. They wanted him to perform. If anybody wanted to fire Dan before the Arkansas game or thought he should be fired at the end of the season regardless, then they were wrong. I don't really remember anybody saying that. I don't really remember many people saying they wanted Dan fired if he lost to UM and went 5-7. I think a lot of people thought Dan's seat should be warm for the next year if he finished like that, and it probably would have been.

HoopsDawg
10-14-2014, 05:06 PM
No, not many others. Very few people wanted Dan to be fired. They wanted him to perform. If anybody wanted to fire Dan before the Arkansas game or thought he should be fired at the end of the season regardless, then they were wrong. I don't really remember anybody saying that. I don't really remember many people saying they wanted Dan fired if he lost to UM and went 5-7. I think a lot of people thought Dan's seat should be warm for the next year if he finished like that, and it probably would have been.

The truth is, there wasn't a single person that wanted Dan fired after the Ole Miss game. After the Rice game with Dak playing the whole game, we saw what we could be in 2014 and now it's coming to fruition.

There would have been a good bit of people wanting him fired if we lost to Arky and OM, but we didn't so it's a moot point.

Todd4State
10-14-2014, 05:14 PM
The truth is, there wasn't a single person that wanted Dan fired after the Ole Miss game. After the Rice game with Dak playing the whole game, we saw what we could be in 2014 and now it's coming to fruition.

There would have been a good bit of people wanting him fired if we lost to Arky and OM, but we didn't so it's a moot point.

Thank you.

Really Clark?
10-14-2014, 05:18 PM

Wow! I suspect we can find more than a few that made statements on this board alone that wanted Dan fired before Arkansas game. It wasn't a majority but it was more than a few.

Johnson85
10-14-2014, 05:24 PM
Wow! I suspect we can find more than a few that made statements on this board alone that wanted Dan fired before Arkansas game. It wasn't a majority but it was more than a few.

Why suspect? There is a search function that lets you only search posts before the Arkansas game, so it shouldn't be hard to find them if they exist. Unless there was an in-game thread where people were flipping out, I'm guessing there were fewer than 3 people that really said they wanted him fired before the Arkansas game (and that's going by the generous definition of wanted him fired after the season regardless of performance against Ark and UM).

Really Clark?
10-14-2014, 05:37 PM
Why suspect? There is a search function that lets you only search posts before the Arkansas game, so it shouldn't be hard to find them if they exist. Unless there was an in-game thread where people were flipping out, I'm guessing there were fewer than 3 people that really said they wanted him fired before the Arkansas game (and that's going by the generous definition of wanted him fired after the season regardless of performance against Ark and UM).

Yeah you are way way off on that number. Just a quick search showed three different threads with multiple people wanting him fired just in the middle of Sept last year. And these were not game threads.

DownwardDawg
10-14-2014, 06:37 PM

Ding ding ding!!! We have a winner!! I was on the HUD train and am very thankful it worked out the way it did for us. I've supported Dan but his personnel decisions were ridiculous last year! Thankfully we had some certain players graduate.

LC Dawg
10-14-2014, 08:07 PM
What is this "last year" of which you guys speak? I don't remember last year.

Percho
10-14-2014, 09:10 PM
I do believe we all have learning curves. I would think Dan will be a better coach relative to his talent with each year that passes. We all are products of trial and error.

DancingRabbit
10-14-2014, 09:15 PM
Regardless of how many here were talking that crap, it was not the opinion of 97% of our fan base. And it is ridiculous for some of the sports programs to be mentioning the "hot seat" of Mullen last year as if it was the case - and how now only 12 months later our team is #1 for the first time in history. I can guarantee the none of the MSU brass had any thought in their mind of firing Mullen. Just silly crap that is said on internet boards. It's where the absolute worst of fans comes to the surface.

Ridiculous for some so-called legitimate media to be blabbering about Dan being on the hot seat last year because of a handful of messageboard coaches.

One of those media idiots, Gary Parish, had Strick on last week. Of course Strick said something to the effect that he had heard of some fan grumbling but that Dan was certainly not on the hot seat with him or Keenum.

Dan has built this program for the long haul, like he plans to be here a while. Some of his personnel decisions that get questioned may be short term sacrifices for the longterm health of the program. We seem to have very good team chemistry and very few players creating distractions or getting in trouble.

Here's the Stricklin interview podcast:

http://media.espn929.com/a/97828265/mississippi-state-ad-scott-stricklin-10-09-14.htm

blacklistedbully
10-15-2014, 09:14 AM

No, we weren't, you are. You are also a complete ass for bringing this bullshit up again. You're so damned desperate for validation (which you don't get anyway because you're wrong) that you bring this ridiculous, childish, "I told you so" thread up at the worst possible time. Beyond the fact that your whole point it wrong anyway, your need & willingness to stir this pot again is pathetic.

If you were interested in putting our team ahead of you own personal need for attention, this kind of crap wouldn't be coming up again & again, and in a time we should all just be positive and pulling for our team.

Deal with it and admit it.

Dawgheadcheese
10-15-2014, 09:31 AM
No, we weren't, you are. You are also a complete ass for bringing this bullshit up again. You're so damned desperate for validation (which you don't get anyway because you're wrong) that you bring this ridiculous, childish, "I told you so" thread up at the worst possible time. Beyond the fact that your whole point it wrong anyway, your need & willingness to stir this pot again is pathetic.

If you were interested in putting our team ahead of you own personal need for attention, this kind of crap wouldn't be coming up again & again, and in a time we should all just be positive and pulling for our team.

Deal with it and admit it.

With all due respect, if MSU was sitting at 2-4 right now you (and several others) would be crowing about how you were one of the "enlightened" ones last year when suggesting Dan should be gone. So yeah, this thread is poorly timed with things as they are - but don't act like you wouldn't be guilty of it as well if things were going the other way.

MadDawg
10-15-2014, 10:07 AM
With all due respect, if MSU was sitting at 2-4 right now you (and several others) would be crowing about how you were one of the "enlightened" ones last year when suggesting Dan should be gone. So yeah, this thread is poorly timed with things as they are - but don't act like you wouldn't be guilty of it as well if things were going the other way.

BINGO

Johnson85
10-15-2014, 11:10 AM
Yeah you are way way off on that number. Just a quick search showed three different threads with multiple people wanting him fired just in the middle of Sept last year. And these were not game threads.

Links?

drunkernhelldawg
10-15-2014, 12:15 PM
You could say that about any program that had a turnaround. Fans are always wanting to fire coaches, usually over some accidental or nitpicky detail. I imagine that coaches get a ton of laughs from the expert advice they receive from thousands of the better coaches in the cheap seats. Nobody's ever made a meaningful decision that couldn't be second guessed on some level. Those who create nothing are the world's worst at verbally besting those who do. Hahaha. Good thing we got rid of Stans; now we can play some REAL basketball, with motion and everything . . .

Really Clark?
10-15-2014, 12:32 PM
Links?

Just do what you instructed me to do. Use the search function up top. Dang dude you made the smart butt statement but I'm not going to do the research for you to. Don't be lazy it's all right on this site. Just from memory I knew it was a lot more than 3 people who wanted him fired before the Arkansas game. Crap I just pulled a random page from the middle of September and found 3 threads about firing him or he needed to resign right then.

Todd4State
10-15-2014, 01:59 PM
Ridiculous for some so-called legitimate media to be blabbering about Dan being on the hot seat last year because of a handful of messageboard coaches.

One of those media idiots, Gary Parish, had Strick on last week. Of course Strick said something to the effect that he had heard of some fan grumbling but that Dan was certainly not on the hot seat with him or Keenum.

Dan has built this program for the long haul, like he plans to be here a while. Some of his personnel decisions that get questioned may be short term sacrifices for the longterm health of the program. We seem to have very good team chemistry and very few players creating distractions or getting in trouble.

Here's the Stricklin interview podcast:

http://media.espn929.com/a/97828265/mississippi-state-ad-scott-stricklin-10-09-14.htm

And Scott as ADMINISTRATOR shouldn't have had him on the heat seat even when we were 4-6. Him putting pressure on Dan would have been counterproductive and possibly hurt us if we did indeed have to go find another coach. I guarantee you it would have been different if we finished 4-8 or 5-7. At that point when much of the grumbling was occurring you still have to let the season play out and see what happens before you do anything drastic. That's what we did and we finished 7-6 with a bowl win. Scott handled it correctly from his standpoint.

That said, that doesn't mean that fans on the Internet shouldn't discuss what they see on the field. MOST of us said Dan should be gone IF he didn't turn it around. He did. Good for him and good for us.

The fact of the matter is most of the time when a coach makes the decisions that Dan did last year you don't maximize what your team can do- and most coaches don't change what they do for whatever reason. And let's be honest- the Arkansas and Ole Miss games shouldn't have even gone to OT with the talent that we have. We were very, very close to going 4-8. I'm glad we didn't and that's not to take away from what the team did- but those games certainly could have gone either way if not for some individual heroics in OT that overcame our special teams fails that got us to OT in the first place.

Todd4State
10-15-2014, 02:05 PM

If we were 2-4 right now- which would mean that we lost to UAB or South Alabama most likely as well FWIW- I would have totally understood why we brought Dan back. We finished the season on a high note and certainly showed a ton of promise the last three games of the year. Are you seriously suggesting that many of us would be questioning why we brought back a head coach that blasted a 10 win Rice team in the Liberty Bowl after being 4-6?

Just like I said I understood why we brought Jackie back in 2002 after we finished 2001 strong.

The scenario you are discussing is basically what happened to Croom during his last season. And I don't think very many people thought he should be fired after winning the Liberty Bowl in 2007.

Dawgheadcheese
10-15-2014, 02:17 PM
If we were 2-4 right now- which would mean that we lost to UAB or South Alabama most likely as well FWIW- I would have totally understood why we brought Dan back. We finished the season on a high note and certainly showed a ton of promise the last three games of the year. Are you seriously suggesting that many of us would be questioning why we brought back a head coach that blasted a 10 win Rice team in the Liberty Bowl after being 4-6?

Just like I said I understood why we brought Jackie back in 2002 after we finished 2001 strong.

The scenario you are discussing is basically what happened to Croom during his last season. And I don't think very many people thought he should be fired after winning the Liberty Bowl in 2007.

That's not the point. The poster that I responded to was badmouthing the guy that started this thread - in effect saying it was terrible timing to be bringing this up now in the midst of a great season. My only point was that if things were going poorly, the posters last year suggesting Mullen should be fired would be on here claiming they were the ones that were correct and hooting about it.

Todd4State
10-15-2014, 02:23 PM
That's not the point. The poster that I responded to was badmouthing the guy that started this thread - in effect saying it was terrible timing to be bringing this up now in the midst of a great season. My only point was that if things were going poorly, the posters last year suggesting Mullen should be fired would be on here claiming they were the ones that were correct and hooting about it.

I understand your point, but I don't think you are correct in that assumption because of how we finished last year.

It would just be people talking about how we should probably replace Dan with whomever more than anything.

blacklistedbully
10-15-2014, 03:39 PM

You don't know me at all. But, even if you were correct, that's a whole different ballgame compared to starting this crap again when we should all be staying positive. If we were 2-4, threads criticizing Dan would be numerous.

We have things going our way, a TON of positive energy, and then this shit comes up again from a guy who thinks it's more important to take shots at other Bulldogs than it is to be united as a fan base. This same thing came up after the Egg Bowl, at least once, and it was a negative thing back then as well. Why pull this crap now?