PDA

View Full Version : Next SEC Commissioner?

Political Hack
10-14-2014, 02:14 PM
Within hours I've already heard Herb Vincent's name floated. I think he left LSU a year or two ago to join the SEC, so it makes sense that it could be him. May have been succession planning???

I've never heard a bad word about this guy. Have some friends of friends that know him personally and all like him a lot. Could be an interesting choice.

Jack Lambert
10-14-2014, 02:17 PM
I think it will be Condoleezza Rice or Archie Manning.

EdDawg
10-14-2014, 02:24 PM
Mullen to SEC Commissioner?*

ShotgunDawg
10-14-2014, 02:25 PM
Greg Sankey will most likely be the next commish

http://www.alumni.msstate.edu/s/811/index.aspx?pgid=1193

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/03/sec_promotes_greg_sankey_to_ov.html

http://www.alumni.msstate.edu/s/811/images/editor/apsec_2012/sankeyc.jpg

Political Hack
10-14-2014, 02:27 PM
I think it will be Condoleezza Rice or Archie Manning.

No way it's Condi. No ties.

I cant see them potentially being interested in Archie, but I can't see Archie giving up his free time to manage all sports rather than just football. I think he's he chairman of the national football foundation and has a seat on the selection committee as of now. He still got his CBS gig too? He'd have to give all that up to manage basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball, etc...

JDog13
10-14-2014, 03:16 PM
I heard they have had some Dialogue with Bjork. He doesn't want to try to hold everything together after Freeze goes to UF.

Political Hack
10-14-2014, 04:06 PM
would be crazy to see a State alumn get named the SEC Commish after we win the Natty.

ShotgunDawg
10-14-2014, 04:08 PM
would be crazy to see a State alumn get named the SEC Commish after we win the Natty.

Sankey isn't state alum

Political Hack
10-14-2014, 04:11 PM
Sankey isn't state alum

then why the hell is he on our alumni page? weird.

It_Could_Happen
10-14-2014, 04:24 PM
It's Sankey.. He came and spoke to a class I was in last year and basically said he was in line to take over when slive retired.

FlabLoser
10-14-2014, 05:11 PM
Greg Byrne for commish.

Dawgcentral
10-14-2014, 05:20 PM
How much does it pay? I'm open for a change. I'm not qualified, but I'm a quick study.

Ralph
10-14-2014, 05:31 PM
Bracky Brett**

DawgPoundtheRock
10-14-2014, 05:51 PM
Anybody but Templeton

msstate7
10-14-2014, 05:53 PM
Anyone worried that new commissioner won't have a policy of not allowing HCs to move around sec?

ShotgunDawg
10-14-2014, 06:22 PM
Anyone worried that new commissioner won't have a policy of not allowing HCs to move around sec?

Not really. I think if we survive this off season with Mullen still being our coach, then he is here for good, unless he has NFL aspirations. His stock simply will likely never be higher, even if he replicates this season.

I actually think it is a very good rule for the conference. There are plenty of good football coaches in this country that can win at Florida, and it should be up to Florida to find that coach, not just take a known quantity from another SEC school.

When coaches move from one conference school to another, all you are doing is reassigning the problem, while also creating a competitive gap in your conference. This is what Texas didn't realize, it is best for your conference be strong and have parody, because it makes TV games more attractive, there are far more competitive games and bigger games, and the rising tide raises all ships.

So long as MSU is willing to pay Mullen the same as Florida, the commissioner shouldn't allow the move. Now, if MSU was only willing to pay Mullen 2 million and Florida was offering 5 million, then the commish should allow Florida to take him.

Political Hack
10-14-2014, 06:32 PM

why in God's name would you even type that?

First off, no. I don't think that. it's a great rule that's served the SEC well. changing it would be a HUGE risk to the overall health of the conference. Second, Slive isn't retiring until July so it does not matter.

msstate7
10-14-2014, 06:35 PM
why in God's name would you even type that?

First off, no. I don't think that. it's a great rule that's served the SEC well. changing it would be a HUGE risk to the overall health of the conference. Second, Slive isn't retiring until July so it does not matter.
Yeah I wasn't thinking about the timeline. For some reason I was thinking slive was stepping down at season's end which is wrong

msstate7
10-14-2014, 06:36 PM
Not really. I think if we survive this off season with Mullen still being our coach, then he is here for good, unless he has NFL aspirations. His stock simply will likely never be higher, even if he replicates this season.

I actually think it is a very good rule for the conference. There are plenty of good football coaches in this country that can win at Florida, and it should be up to Florida to find that coach, not just take a known quantity from another SEC school.

When coaches move from one conference school to another, all you are doing is reassigning the problem, while also creating a competitive gap in your conference. This is what Texas didn't realize, it is best for your conference be strong and have parody, because it makes TV games more attractive, there are far more competitive games and bigger games, and the rising tide raises all ships.

So long as MSU is willing to pay Mullen the same as Florida, the commissioner shouldn't allow the move. Now, if MSU was only willing to pay Mullen 2 million and Florida was offering 5 million, then the commish should allow Florida to take him.

Good points

War Machine Dawg
10-14-2014, 06:42 PM

The Big 12 has plenty of parodies. What they could really use is some parity.