PDA

View Full Version : At the halfway point of the season - unchartered territory

starkvegasdawg
10-14-2014, 02:06 PM
While I hate Ole Miss with a fiery passion and wished they?d lose every game they play in every sport, they did do us a favor by beating A&M Saturday. Their loss virtually eliminated them from being in contention in the West race. They now join LSU and Arkansas in the try again next year club.
We would now have to lose at least 4 conference games for Arkansas to get ahead of us and 3 games for LSU and A&M to get back ahead of us. We?d also have to lose 2 games for Auburn to get ahead of us. I don?t have to say how important those tie breakers are?unless you are TSUN and you hang a banner anyway, but I digress.
This basically narrows the West race down to three teams and just having to worry about two other teams is much better than having to worry about three or four more teams. And if you think Auburn will beat Alabama (as I do) then it now becomes basically a two team race between us and the bears.
I know, I know. Just keep winning and everything else will take care of itself. Couldn?t agree more. But I also like to know how alternate scenarios shape up in case we do end up short a game or two.
I think we should win the UK, Arkansas, UT-Martin, and Vandy games unless some kind of Greek tragedy unfolds. That puts us at 6 conference wins. If Alabama does stumble again this season (not against us) then we can lose to them and still win the west by beating TSUN. I still think TSUN will stumble once or twice this season.
I say all that to say this. We have already put ourselves in great shape with what we have accomplished so far by not only being 3-0 in the conference, but who those wins are against. It?s nice to still control our own destiny at the halfway point of the season and we are very close to building in some margin of error for the last half of this season too.

ShotgunDawg
10-14-2014, 02:14 PM
We need to be Auburn fans right now. We need Auburn to beat both OM and Bama.

Dawghouse
10-14-2014, 02:21 PM
I'm rooting for Auburn, Ark, LSU, and A&M, and everyone in the East. Brass balls be damned, I do NOT want to have to beat Ole Miss in Oxford to go to Atlanta, especially if a lose sends them to Atlanta, as awesome as it would be to rip it away from them on their field, I don't have enough years left on my heart to handle that kind of game. I like the idea of actually meeting my grand kids one day.

starkvegasdawg
10-14-2014, 02:27 PM
I'm rooting for Auburn, Ark, LSU, and A&M, and everyone in the East. Brass balls be damned, I do NOT want to have to beat Ole Miss in Oxford to go to Atlanta, especially if a lose sends them to Atlanta, as awesome as it would be to rip it away from them on their field, I don't have enough years left on my heart to handle that kind of game. I like the idea of actually meeting my grand kids one day.

I agree with everything you said. These last three games have come very close to jeopardizing my time here on earth. If the egg bowl comes up with that kind of importance to it I might as well go check myself into OCH and have them hook me up to the defib.