PDA

View Full Version : I finally got to watch the replay last night, just 2 quick points....

HoopsDawg
10-14-2014, 01:46 PM
1. Our coaches saw something on film that let them know the option was the way to go. We spent all of last week working on the option and it was very effective. We hadn't used it much this year and AU wasn't prepared to stop it in the first half. Great job by Mullen. That's why he makes the big bucks.

2. Malcolm Johnson played a hell of game. Several clutch plays in the passing game including a big 3rd down conversion and the catch near the goal-line. He was also excellent in the run game. The 3 biggest drop-offs from 1st string to 2nd on our team are QB, RB, and TE.

chainedup_Dawg
10-14-2014, 01:55 PM
I noticed the emphasis on the option. And that shovel pass on the inside was a thing of beauty and the perfect play call at the perfect time.

Really wish we would start implementing Johnson more like we did against AU.

Also, was it just me or do I remember seeing AU running the diamond? I don't remember us running it even once this year. You think we are saving it, any chance of seeing it? Don't get me wrong, if we don't need it, keep it in our pocket but still, I was expecting it at the beginning of the year.

ShotgunDawg
10-14-2014, 01:59 PM
I think this is what makes us so tough for anyone to beat this year. Our run game is so multiple.

We can run between the tackles with Dak and Robinson, we can run the stretch with Holloway, and we run the option as good as anyone.

We can even go 5 wide and run Dak up the middle.

It's just hard for any defense to stop all that at the same time.

Political Hack
10-14-2014, 02:01 PM
MoJo was a stud.

thf24
10-14-2014, 02:02 PM
Also, was it just me or do I remember seeing AU running the diamond? I don't remember us running it even once this year. You think we are saving it, any chance of seeing it? Don't get me wrong, if we don't need it, keep it in our pocket but still, I was expecting it at the beginning of the year.

I think we ran it once, and it was just a handoff to J-Rob up the gut. Probably not something that would have been super effective against Auburn since they run it too and see it in practice. Maybe Mullen has planned on showing the more vanilla looks out of it over the next few games to set up some misdirection against Bama and OM.

chainedup_Dawg
10-14-2014, 02:11 PM
Very true about AU I just didn't remember us running it this season. I just have a hard time believing we are at the point where our offense has become developed to the point where we are half way through the season and we still have very effective wrinkles of our O tucked away like this, its surreal compared to where we have come from

codeDawg
10-14-2014, 02:16 PM

I know it's in the playbook, so I would think we're saving it. It would be a good formation against UM. We can run at their speedy linemen with power and keep them from swarming by forcing them to stay on assignments.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-14-2014, 02:19 PM
We ran the diamond formation twice Saturday.

headcoach98
10-14-2014, 02:28 PM
I think this is what makes us so tough for anyone to beat this year. Our run game is so multiple.

We can run between the tackles with Dak and Robinson, we can run the stretch with Holloway, and we run the option as good as anyone.

We can even go 5 wide and run Dak up the middle.

It's just hard for any defense to stop all that at the same time.

I love that play!

HoopsDawg
10-14-2014, 02:40 PM
The coaches must have read my post, they named MoJo offensive player of the week.**

Maroons
10-14-2014, 02:52 PM
I'll add another point -

Beni Brown is even better than I thought. He's quickly becoming one of our best defensive players, and that's saying a lot.

IMissJack
10-14-2014, 06:48 PM
Word is Malcolm suggested the shovel pass to Mullen.

HoopsDawg
10-14-2014, 06:52 PM
I'll add another point -

Beni Brown is even better than I thought. He's quickly becoming one of our best defensive players, and that's saying a lot.

Beni Brown must live in the film room b/c he knew were AU was going on 50% of their plays.

smootness
10-14-2014, 07:24 PM
I'll add another point -

Yes, he is a flat-out stud. I would say he's among our 3-4 best defensive players. And he may be the smartest.

aerodawg
10-14-2014, 08:59 PM
Word is Malcolm suggested the shovel pass to Mullen.

I think it was his big third down catch that he suggested but I may be wrong.

maroonmania
10-14-2014, 09:17 PM
Another thing I saw watching the replay. On Dak's second INT in the end zone where he threw to Bear if he would have just looked to the right Nick Griffin was standing all alone at the 10. Would have easily run it inside the 5 and might have gone all the way in. Just sayin'.