PDA

View Full Version : We're the Auburn DBS sitting on the

cheewgumm
10-14-2014, 08:33 AM
Back shoulder throws? It seemed to me they were, though I could be wrong. The 2INTs were thrown right to their guys.

I'm thinking this can open up our WRs to get some separation deepif they are sitting on it.

Am I totally off here?

DancingRabbit
10-14-2014, 08:47 AM
Yeah, I think so. The one on the sideline was either a terrible read by Dak or he just forced it into double coverage. The corner was playing underneath and a safety over the top. You need single coverage to throw the back shoulder.

Not sure if the pick in the endzone was supposed to be a back shoulder play or if Dak just under-threw it.

Todd4State
10-14-2014, 08:50 AM
I'm not sure that the INT to Robert Johnson was supposed to be a back shoulder throw. From my vantage point in the stands it looked like Johnson had beat his man and Dak underthrew it. Or there may have been some miscommunication there- I don't know.

The one in the end zone I thought it was maybe a fade route that Dak underthrew.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-14-2014, 08:55 AM
The pass to Rojo was definitely a back shoulder throw that the db read & Dak had already determined it to be a back shoulder throw before he even looked that way. Rojo beat the db off the line & had a step & a half on him. We should've went over the top but Dak had pre determined that it was going to be a back shoulder throw. The 2nd pick was just a bad pass.

cheewgumm
10-14-2014, 08:57 AM
Yep i stated it wrong... Meant the 1st INT. 2nd obviously was not.

I agree.

mcain31
10-14-2014, 08:59 AM
On the B&B show Bob said that when he talked to DeRunnya Wilson, Wilson said that the Auburn DBs were anticipating the back shoulder throws because MSU used them so much against TAMU

Pollodawg
10-14-2014, 09:21 AM
Dak was supremely annoyed at himself. He won't throw another two ints a game this season.

Political Hack
10-14-2014, 09:24 AM
yes. they we're sitting on them and I expect every other team we play to do the same. In routes, 9's, slants, and posts are about to open up big time.

Pollodawg
10-14-2014, 09:40 AM
yes. they we're sitting on them and I expect every other team we play to do the same. In routes, 9's, slants, and posts are about to open up big time.

Dak just has to recognize when the BST isn't there and to go some where else with the ball. He struggled with that Saturday. Other than that, he was spot on the whole game.

CadaverDawg
10-14-2014, 09:43 AM
On the B&B show Bob said that when he talked to DeRunnya Wilson, Wilson said that the Auburn DBs were anticipating the back shoulder throws because MSU used them so much against TAMU

Hmm, someone on this board said that the other day and got told he was wrong. Wonder who it was....

http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?22974-Question-about-the-quot-back-shoulder-quot-throw&highlight=Back+shoulder

CadaverDawg
10-14-2014, 09:46 AM

Yep. And let's not confuse this...that throw is a hard throw to make. Dak just makes it look easy. So let them key in on it, and Dak will expose them with slants and posts that are easier to throw anyway....and now they'll be more open. We are in a position right now where a pump fake could leave DeRunnya wide open on a fly pattern. Our early success with certain plays is about to open up a totally new element of the play book IMO.

Political Hack
10-14-2014, 09:48 AM
Dak just has to recognize when the BST isn't there and to go some where else with the ball. He struggled with that Saturday. Other than that, he was spot on the whole game.

he didn't really struggle with it IMO. He only made 3 bad throws throughout the entire game. Auburn was just able to capitalize on 2 of them by waiting on that throw. He had the 9 route on one and went to the back shoulder. On the other, it was just a badly thrown ball, which is incredibly rare for Dak at this point. The kid can flat out spin it. He's a better passer right now than I ever anticipate him being and he's still got room to grow on some throws.

I think he's as good as Tebow was and has a much higher ceiling. Think about that for a moment... Tebow is arguably the best college football player of all time and Dak is drawing comparisons to him.

Pollodawg
10-14-2014, 09:54 AM
he didn't really struggle with it IMO. He only made 3 bad throws throughout the entire game. Auburn was just able to capitalize on 2 of them by waiting on that throw. He had the 9 route on one and went to the back shoulder. On the other, it was just a badly thrown ball, which is incredibly rare for Dak at this point. The kid can flat out spin it. He's a better passer right now than I ever anticipate him being and he's still got room to grow on some throws.

I think he's as good as Tebow was and has a much higher ceiling. Think about that for a moment... Tebow is arguably the best college football player of all time and Dak is drawing comparisons to him.

Oh, definitely. A handful of us said this before the season started. Dak is already a better passer than Tebow, and I'll never understand how Tebow threw for over three thousand yards in 2007 no better than he threw the ball.

codeDawg
10-14-2014, 09:55 AM
Yep. And let's not confuse this...that throw is a hard throw to make. Dak just makes it look easy. So let them key in on it, and Dak will expose them with slants and posts that are easier to throw anyway....and now they'll be more open. We are in a position right now where a pump fake could leave DeRunnya wide open on a fly pattern. Our early success with certain plays is about to open up a totally new element of the play book IMO.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw that INT. When they get in the film room Mullen and Johnson will get to do some coaching with Dak and Bear and show them what is open when the corner is playing behind like that.

The other cool thing is that the slot / TE / back in the flat should have one-on-one coverage and room to run with the double coverage on Bear. The pitch option should also take advantage of the numbers in that situation.

Damn, this is some exciting offense.

Pollodawg
10-14-2014, 09:56 AM
I honestly think we just played the best team we'll play all season. JMHO.

Pollodawg
10-14-2014, 09:57 AM
We had four turnovers and still beat the number 2 team in the nation and pre-season conference forerunner by 15 points. You think this team aint good, you must have never seen a decent game of football in your life..........

Political Hack
10-14-2014, 10:10 AM

hard to argue against that. they only other variable is that we have two very good teams left to play on the road.

NCDawg
10-14-2014, 10:53 AM

Auburn is a heck of a good team. We had 3 downs at one point to pick up 2 yards for a 1st down, and couldn't do it. Their DL is very good.

blacklistedbully
10-14-2014, 10:53 AM
From my understanding, the decision to go back-shoulder or over-the-top is 100% dependent on where our WR is in relation to the DB. If our WR has gained a step when Dak goes to throw, it's over-the-top. If the DB is still even, it's back-shoulder. I think it might have been a case on one of the INT's that Dak started to throw when the DB was still even with Bear, but just at that same moment, Bear started to get a step, so took it up instead of playing for the back-shoulder.

I guess it's possible the AU DB's were trying to bait this, but on the one INT, it looked to me as I described above.

blacklistedbully
10-14-2014, 10:56 AM
Auburn is a heck of a good team. We had 3 downs at one point to pick up 2 yards for a 1st down, and couldn't do it. Their DL is very good.

That's true, but wasn't that also at a point in the game where they were selling out to stop the run, and we were more interested in not stopping the clock with an incomplete pass? I could be wrong, but wasn't that the situation?

HoopsDawg
10-14-2014, 11:02 AM
Have we ever thrown a successful fade to derunnya in the corner? That should be unstoppable if it's thrown right.

thf24
10-14-2014, 11:43 AM
Have we ever thrown a successful fade to derunnya in the corner? That should be unstoppable if it's thrown right.

It wasn't a textbook fade but the first score against LSU was more or less this.

HoopsDawg
10-14-2014, 12:15 PM
It wasn't a textbook fade but the first score against LSU was more or less this.

more of an out route than a fade.

Mjoelner34
10-14-2014, 12:23 PM

If you go back and look at the replay, we could have busted off a huge run on the third down play. Malone fired off of the ball and no one was in front of him and he ran all the way past the line backers (about 2 or 3 yards past the line of scrimmage) without touching anyone. A backer then just stepped in behind him, filled the hole and stopped Dak. If Malone would have turned left just past the line of scrimmage and taken out that backer, Dak would have been off to the races. I don't know about 1st down and 2nd down but 3rd down was more us than them.