PDA

View Full Version : 1A & 1B Defense - Real as ever

Big4Dawg
10-13-2014, 10:39 PM
https://pff-pffanalysisltd12.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Miss-St-D.png

Below is the snap count by depth chart:

DE: Brown (50)/Adams (32)
DT: PJ Jones (38)/C. Jones (43)
DT: Eulls (51)/Virges (15)/James (15)
DE: Smith (55)/Jefferson (30)

LB: Wells (58)/Jackson (25)
MLB: McKinney (59)/R. Brown (24)
LB: B. Brown (60)/Holmes (23)

CB: Love (57)/ Redmond (43)
SS: Hughes (28)/Market (32)
FS: Cox (30)/Evans (34)/Coman (32)
CB: Calhoun (32)/Cleveland (40)

I can't wait until next year where every talking head says we won't be able to have the same success because we lose 8 starters from our defense (PJ Jones, Eulls, Smith, Wells, McKinney, Love, Hughes, Cox). Just make sure you don't fall victim to it. "Next Man Up". I know this is just one game, but I'd imagine it looks about the same for every game.

drunkernhelldawg
10-13-2014, 10:45 PM
Interesting and enlightening post. Mullen hasn't worked this perfectly, but the results are satisfactory and the payoff continues.

TUSK
10-13-2014, 10:52 PM
good work... participation charts are potentially excellent predictive indicators...

Todd4State
10-13-2014, 10:54 PM
This is interesting. Can you or anyone else explain how they come up with the overall ratings?

Big4Dawg
10-13-2014, 10:57 PM
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/10/12/college-game-of-the-week-tigers-bulldogs/

Here is link. Trying to find something on their site about the ratings.

Big4Dawg
10-13-2014, 10:58 PM
https://www.profootballfocus.com/about/grading/

Here it is

Todd4State
10-13-2014, 11:06 PM
Thanks! That's some pretty cool stuff.

Dawg61
10-13-2014, 11:07 PM
Playing 2 deep everywhere is like the extra 15 minutes in the weight room. You hate it while doing it but love the results later. And later is even as quick as the 4th quarter.

sleepy dawg
10-13-2014, 11:18 PM
Where did you get that chart from?

AFDawg
10-14-2014, 01:59 AM
I'm surprised Calhoun has the fewest snaps among the corners.

EdDawg
10-14-2014, 07:24 AM
Who do we have coming up on the DL that will see significant snaps next year? I know Thomas will, but would like to hear about any other red shirts that have been progressing well in practice.

WinningIsRelentless
10-14-2014, 07:34 AM
I'm surprised Calhoun has the fewest snaps among the corners.

Calhoun was banged up and was a game time decision.

Political Hack
10-14-2014, 07:51 AM
Only .01% grade out at 2.0 or better...

WMD says Will Redmond is a liability.***

Big4Dawg
10-14-2014, 08:11 AM
The 3 RS freshmen and the two JUCOs

HoopsDawg
10-14-2014, 08:25 AM
Who do we have coming up on the DL that will see significant snaps next year? I know Thomas will, but would like to hear about any other red shirts that have been progressing well in practice.

I think Adams is going to slide back down to DT.

HoopsDawg
10-14-2014, 08:28 AM
Calhoun was banged up and was a game time decision.

First I've heard of that. Cleveland has played well. I actually think Redmond and Cleveland are out top 2 outside corners.

Really Clark?
10-14-2014, 08:44 AM
First I've heard of that. Cleveland has played well. I actually think Redmond and Cleveland are out top 2 outside corners.

Uh...are you forgetting Love? He is an outstanding corner. And one of the best examples is the fact we never hear his name called. They do not target him. Redmond is really coming on strong and doing it against the opposing #1 WR a lot if the time now. To me he has grown a lot this season and is not thinking so much. Look forward to see how much more he progresses this season. Anyone else notice who leads our team in tackles besides the LB's. It's the corners. To me that says a lot about the interior of our line on run plays. Teams feel like they have to attack the perimeter. Running and passing and so far our corners have done an outstanding job in run support and tackling in the open field on outside throws.

HoopsDawg
10-14-2014, 09:01 AM
Uh...are you forgetting Love? He is an outstanding corner. And one of the best examples is the fact we never hear his name called. They do not target him. Redmond is really coming on strong and doing it against the opposing #1 WR a lot if the time now. To me he has grown a lot this season and is not thinking so much. Look forward to see how much more he progresses this season. Anyone else notice who leads our team in tackles besides the LB's. It's the corners. To me that says a lot about the interior of our line on run plays. Teams feel like they have to attack the perimeter. Running and passing and so far our corners have done an outstanding job in run support and tackling in the open field on outside throws.

I like Love as a nickel corner best. Lined up on the slot guy.

defiantdog
10-14-2014, 09:06 AM
One things for certain.... it's crazy how good B. Brown is. I know Auburn is pissed they didn't get him. I'm glad we got him for at least one more year.

Replacements:

R. Brown will replace McKinney and G. Green will replace R. Brown
Z. Jackson will replace Wells and D. Harris / Q. Antoine / J.T. Gray will replace Z. Jackson / B. Brown
The safeties will be Market, Evans, Coman, Bryant, J. Peters (Peters is too good to redshirt)
The DE's will be R. Brown, J. Calvin, T. Dale, W. Coleman, G. Harris (he's been progressing into a DE in practice)
The DT's will be C. Jones, James, C. Thomas, N. Adams, B. Hoyett

Really Clark?
10-14-2014, 09:28 AM
I like Love as a nickel corner best. Lined up on the slot guy.

What?!? Yeah at times, but he played 33% more snaps than the next highest CB, Redmond. He is NOT our nickel CB but the LCB. We do change coverages with our players and Redmond is beginning to get more 1 on 1 against the opposing top wideout. But Love plays the majority of the snaps in a game and is targeted less than any other CB. That's very telling to me.

sandwolf
10-14-2014, 10:15 AM
But Love plays the majority of the snaps in a game and is targeted less than any other CB. That's very telling to me.

He may not have been targeted much in the Auburn game, but that hasn't been the case all year. He has been thrown at, and beaten multiple times this year.....he is a good player, but his size limits what he can do against a big outside receiver.

Really Clark?
10-14-2014, 10:51 AM
He may not have been targeted much in the Auburn game, but that hasn't been the case all year. He has been thrown at, and beaten multiple times this year.....he is a good player, but his size limits what he can do against a big outside receiver.

You can not support that statement other than opinion. Show me where he has been targeted and beaten more than any other CB we have, percentage wise. He plays more snaps than any other corner we have and if I could find the stats I would be willing to be bet he is the top or second best corner statistically with Redmond. I can't find a place that keeps those stats if anyone has that info thanks.

Dawg61
10-14-2014, 11:16 AM
Is Will Redmond great in coverage or are some of you translating his phenomenal tackling skills into meaning he's great in coverage too? He is our best tackling DB but he's right there with everyone else in coverage. Doesn't he have the most PI calls this year?

hailmari
10-14-2014, 11:56 AM
Love blew several big plays earlier in the season. Even a late TD against a&m. But he does seem to have cleaned it up.

HoopsDawg
10-14-2014, 12:16 PM
back to the original post, we can say 1A and 1B but there is a noticeable dropoff when we put our entire 1b in the game. We did this after we got up 21-0 and AU went right down the field.

Really Clark?
10-14-2014, 12:17 PM
Redmond and Calhoun gave up more big plays earlier in the season. And some of the big plays we have given up this season was while we had good coverage. Redmond has probably progressed more but he still has issues. I remember Love just having a brain freeze moment that was unacceptable but he also had a big play on him when he slipped down. Those things just happen. I honestly thing right now Redmond, Love, and Calhoun are the best and fixing our secondary issues has been a team effort. Cleveland does an excellent job in run support. But really look who is out there most of the game in coverage.

Dawg61
10-14-2014, 12:30 PM
back to the original post, we can say 1A and 1B but there is a noticeable dropoff when we put our entire 1b in the game. We did this after we got up 21-0 and AU went right down the field.

Are we calling the same defense's calls though or are we in more of a defensive safe mode? This could be why we see the other team getting more yards on the 1b defense than we'd like. Maybe their job is to make the other team burn clock and give time for rest for the 1a's.

Political Hack
10-14-2014, 01:07 PM
holy crap some of y'all are blind. It's not even close who our best corner is. The stats presented in this thread show it. The fact that our staff puts him on top of every other team's #1 WR every red zone trip shows it. The fact that CBS flat out said that Jones (Auburn) and Redmond were the two most impressive players on defense last weekend shows it.

Y'all seem to remember 2-3 bad plays, because that's literally all he has. He's given up 3 TDs in his career. That's it. As far as the PI calls, he's only gotten a few and one of them saved a TD and resulted in a goal line stand (the same one Mullen came unglued on because it was a terrible call). He's also punished people once they caught the ball. he's the ONLY CB we have that can peel out of his zone/man and make a play in other areas of the field. He's got uncanny instincts. Ignorant fans see him show up to the ball and claim he got beat... no. He just happened to be the first the ball. He's done it time and time again.

Go look at the grades in this thread again... only .01% score in the +2 range. He's there in 2 categories. He has shut down Dural, A&M, and Coates.

HoopsDawg
10-14-2014, 01:22 PM
holy crap some of y'all are blind. It's not even close who our best corner is. The stats presented in this thread show it. The fact that our staff puts him on top of every other team's #1 WR every red zone trip shows it. The fact that CBS flat out said that Jones (Auburn) and Redmond were the two most impressive players on defense last weekend shows it.

Y'all seem to remember 2-3 bad plays, because that's literally all he has. He's given up 3 TDs in his career. That's it. As far as the PI calls, he's only gotten a few and one of them saved a TD and resulted in a goal line stand (the same one Mullen came unglued on because it was a terrible call). He's also punished people once they caught the ball. he's the ONLY CB we have that can peel out of his zone/man and make a play in other areas of the field. He's got uncanny instincts. Ignorant fans see him show up to the ball and claim he got beat... no. He just happened to be the first the ball. He's done it time and time again.

Go look at the grades in this thread again... only .01% score in the +2 range. He's there in 2 categories. He has shut down Dural, A&M, and Coates.

Damn dude, no one is really debating this except for "Really Clark".

Really Clark?
10-14-2014, 01:26 PM

Never said he wasn't the best, at least in the Auburn and A&M game. His football IQ is starting to catch up to his talent that has allowed him to progress. No doubt he has the best potential of any CB we have. You can't deny he still has a way to go and still makes mistakes but those are shrinking. I just think that right now he has the best chance in 1 on 1 situations but you know there is more to the position than that. You can't disregard what the others bring but the last two games have been his best by far and the sky is the limit.

Really Clark?
10-14-2014, 01:29 PM
Damn dude, no one is really debating this except for "Really Clark".

No, my debate was that Love has been much better than given credit for. I never said he was head and shoulders better than Redmond. And the last two games Redmond has really started to separating himself. But Love has been consistent and is depended on by the staff to be out there more than any other CB.

Edit. And according to the OP stats Love was the second best against Auburn.

Political Hack
10-14-2014, 01:50 PM
I like love on everything except the deep ball.

Really Clark?
10-14-2014, 02:50 PM
I like love on everything except the deep ball.

Yeah I think it's more jump ball situations. Two late jumps balls against LSU and A & M (neither were that bad of play and the LSU jump ball he was in great position) and the brain fart against LSU late I think may be the only TD given up by him all season. I went backed and looked and he had none against him against UAB that was the other CB so I don't know what everybody is thinking about him getting beat bad early in the season. The first three games I don't think that was the case at all and was not even targeted for much of the first three games. One bad brain lapse against LSU and the late TD against A & M where the WR got better position on the jump ball. Can't think of another big bad play by him off hand.