PDA

View Full Version : Austin Davis Recruitment...

EAVdog
10-13-2014, 08:07 PM
Wasn't there some story about Croom not even giving him the time of day? Am I just making that up?

Smitty
10-13-2014, 08:09 PM
Prolly slept threw it

Bully Dee Williams
10-13-2014, 08:12 PM
Austin wouldn't commit to running the Croom coast offense.***

TrapGame
10-13-2014, 08:12 PM
Woody didn't think he'd be a good fit. He completed too many passes.

Political Hack
10-13-2014, 08:17 PM
probably too alert during meetings and what not. that was a real turn off for that staff.

Coach66
10-13-2014, 08:28 PM
Said he wasn't good enough.

Todd4State
10-13-2014, 09:02 PM
He went to USM on a baseball scholarship. So, they more or less lucked into him. Great story though.

But to keep up with the theme of the thread- it's Polk's fault.

drunkernhelldawg
10-13-2014, 09:20 PM
Said he wasn't good enough.

I don't know about this story. Croom recruited okay. I don't know what Davis did at Southern Miss. I'd barely heard of him myself.

Todd4State
10-13-2014, 10:58 PM
I don't know about this story. Croom recruited okay. I don't know what Davis did at Southern Miss. I'd barely heard of him myself.

He led them to the C-USA Championship and ever since he left they have won a grand total of three games. Including one over Alcorn.

The story I heard was he was a wishbone/option QB at West Lauderdale and didn't throw the ball very much and like I said was more of a baseball prospect. He actually walked on the football team if I remember correctly and won the job and now he is in the NFL.

Quaoarsking
10-13-2014, 10:59 PM
Davis started as a walk-on at USM, so it's not like he could have reasonably been expected to get any kind of SEC offer, even from Croom.

Ya know, just to be fair...

Alldawg
10-14-2014, 07:16 AM
He led them to the C-USA Championship and ever since he left they have won a grand total of three games. Including one over Alcorn.

The story I heard was he was a wishbone/option QB at West Lauderdale and didn't throw the ball very much and like I said was more of a baseball prospect. He actually walked on the football team if I remember correctly and won the job and now he is in the NFL.

Correct. Even to this day, we do not throw the ball very much here at West Lauderdale. You would think that after 25 or so straight years of sucking at football that a coach would try to install a different type of offense that we have been running the previous 20 plus years. That wishbone/option crap you refer to has now been pushed down to pee wee football and the High School coach will only allow the pee wee coaches to run certain plays from his playbook. Why we have not adapted to the way the game has changed is a mystery. Austin never really showed his full potential on the field during his West Lauderdale career and USM just struck gold when he walked on there. Austin grew up a big State fan, but it is hard to fault Croom on this one.

Johnson85
10-14-2014, 07:57 AM
Davis started as a walk-on at USM, so it's not like he could have reasonably been expected to get any kind of SEC offer, even from Croom.

Ya know, just to be fair...

17 fairness. If Crooms didn't lose his right to fairness by losing to Maine or sleeping through in house visits, he lost it by actually complaining that we paid his lazy ass millions of dollars and gave him five full years to show any improvement that wasn't directly attributable to Ellis Johnson.

I say Austin Davis was a can't miss blue chipper that actually played against Starkville High in Starkville Davis's senior year but Crooms missed seeing him play because he went back for sevenths and eighths at the Barnfields buffet.

tcdog70
10-14-2014, 10:10 AM
i Saw Austin play against Noxubee in the playoffs and Ray Charles could see he was a big talent. He went to our Football Camp and was the best QB there, But Woody wanted some EX-Bammers son for the QB scholly. Not signing Austin was just another stupid decision from the Slytantic.

Dawgdom
10-14-2014, 01:30 PM
...I don't know what Davis did at Southern Miss. I'd barely heard of him myself.

He made Larry Fedora a rich man...

HoopsDawg
10-14-2014, 01:40 PM
i Saw Austin play against Noxubee in the playoffs and Ray Charles could see he was a big talent. He went to our Football Camp and was the best QB there, But Woody wanted some EX-Bammers son for the QB scholly. Not signing Austin was just another stupid decision from the Slytantic.

Austin Davis was 4th on our board. Croom was an excellent recruiter and landed our top 3 targets: Ty Evans, Kyle York, and Josh Riddell.

quickstrike2
10-14-2014, 01:42 PM
He was very solid at USM. As many has stated he was going to USM to play baseball and Fedora basically talked him into football from what I kind of remember. Austin was very good in Fedora offense and in the CUSA. I don't know how good he would have been here at State. Those offenses were so bad, I don't think anyone would have look very good in them.

Percho
10-14-2014, 01:55 PM
Correct. Even to this day, we do not throw the ball very much here at West Lauderdale. You would think that after 25 or so straight years of sucking at football that a coach would try to install a different type of offense that we have been running the previous 20 plus years. That wishbone/option crap you refer to has now been pushed down to pee wee football and the High School coach will only allow the pee wee coaches to run certain plays from his playbook. Why we have not adapted to the way the game has changed is a mystery. Austin never really showed his full potential on the field during his West Lauderdale career and USM just struck gold when he walked on there. Austin grew up a big State fan, but it is hard to fault Croom on this one.

Hypothetical? Had Austin attended a camp that DM was running what would have happened?

Percho
10-14-2014, 01:57 PM
Austin Davis was 4th on our board. Croom was an excellent recruiter and landed our top 3 targets: Ty Evans, Kyle York, and Josh Riddell.

How many total snaps did those three take in a game?

quickstrike2
10-14-2014, 02:26 PM
How many total snaps did those three take in a game?

Josh Riddell had very few, I actually thought he might have some potential. He came in against Garner Webb or somebody and ran for a first down and completed a pass which were big things. He then tore his ACL or some other leg injury.

tcdog70
10-14-2014, 03:06 PM

Negative on Kyle York--His Mother hated Croom.

HoopsDawg
10-14-2014, 03:12 PM
Negative on Kyle York--His Mother hated Croom.

Yeah, I was joking.