PDA

View Full Version : Will Cox no longer on team, WTH??

chainedup_Dawg
10-13-2014, 04:32 PM
Just saw on Twitter our beat guys tweeting he is not on roster/team??

TheRef
10-13-2014, 04:35 PM
David H Murray
@DawgsBiteMag
Cohen clarified that Will Cox and John Marc Shelly are both wait-and-see through the fall semester. Both coming off spring injuries.

4:34pm ? 13 Oct 2014 ? Twitter Web Client

chainedup_Dawg
10-13-2014, 04:41 PM
I just saw that. That makes me feel a little bit better. Was hoping he was rehabbing better though.

MsStateBaseball
10-13-2014, 04:48 PM
Here is the problem with the rules. If you put those two on the roster and rehab in which both are working out etc, then we have to leave off two other guys. Cox and Shelly won't pitch in 2015 or if they do very late in year and very little. This is the cut throat thing Polk was talking about. You have to cut guys (that have already been RS) bc of the rules. The team needs the two players who are healthy. Yes, it is cut throat but can only have 35 on team. We will have 38 but those other 3 are walk ons that can be RS.

bulldogcountry1
10-13-2014, 05:01 PM
Are there fall roster limits?

Irondawg
10-13-2014, 05:37 PM
I thought Shelly had decided to hang it up b/c of all the injuries. When was Cox expected back?

MsStateBaseball
10-13-2014, 05:43 PM
No limits as many as you want. By first game it has to be 35. Cox had been throwing a little. If he is still sore right now then May is when he will be full strengh. Side armer too so added pressure on arm.

chainedup_Dawg
10-13-2014, 05:47 PM
I hadn't even thought about roster #s I guess just didn't pay much attention to his rehab time

Todd4State
10-13-2014, 05:50 PM
If they can't make it back this year, we may be able to use a medical redshirt on them.

They're in the same boat as far as having Tommy John surgery. They're both in the rehab stage and it takes a year in general to recover to the point where they can pitch in a game.

With Shelly, we could maybe use a medical redshirt on him for last year and then redshirt him this year.

With Cox, we already redshirted him and he may have played too many games to get a medical redshirt for last year, so his sophomore year is probably gone. But we can use a medical redshirt on him for this year probably.

We went through this from an eligibility standpoint with Ben Bracewell.

Todd4State
10-13-2014, 05:56 PM
I hadn't even thought about roster #s I guess just didn't pay much attention to his rehab time

Speaking of roster numbers, unless my math is off we have 42 on the roster, including Cox and Shelly. And as everyone knows, we have to get down to 35 by opening day.

Everybody on the current roster that is healthy is going to get all fall and all spring to show what they can do and at the last minute the staff will decide who is on the final roster.

shoeless joe
10-13-2014, 06:40 PM
Mentioned this scenario all last year when folks talked about us getting all these injured pitchers back. 12 months is generally the minimum and it usually takes 18 months to be 100%. This situation is no surprise.