PDA

View Full Version : Severe Weather Situation Today for AR/LA/MS/TN/AL

TheRef
10-13-2014, 09:05 AM
Guys, we are in the Fall/Winter Tornado season in full-swing right now. Now this season is unique to "Dixie Alley" and usually is associated with some weird tornadoes. Earlier this morning, a tornado went through a town in Arkansas and has already claimed the life of one person. We already have a Tornado Watch in place from SPC until 2:00 PM CT. It is very likely that they issue another watch for the rest of Mississippi and possibly stretching into Alabama.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/watch/ww0534_radar.gif

This is not a situation to be handled lightly. My advice, keep a weather radio of some sort handy (either an actual weather radio or a weather radio app on your phone). If you have a smart-phone that has been updated within about 6 months, you may automatically get severe weather notifications pushed directly to your phone for a tornado warning. How they do this is by selecting towers within the warned area, then for every phone within the tower's reach, they receive the push notification of a tornado warning. If you already have a weather warning app on your phone, you can turn off the automated one by going into your settings if you wish.

I won't be around all day to keep updating this thread, but I'm sure there are some of the other weather enthusiasts who can keep it updated (I'm looking at you Scooba, Slick, MetEd, and starkvegas). Be safe, y'all.

starkvegasdawg
10-13-2014, 09:24 AM
One thing I have noticed about this line is that it is moving much faster than what was origianlly forecast. I could see it affecting the Golden Triangle area by 2:00-4:00. It has already produced at least three tornado warnings in Arkansas and Lousiana this morning (all radar indicated and none confirmed at this point), but as this line hits the warm unstable air that has been warming up all day it could potentially intensify. Another thing to look out for is discrete cells forming ahead of the main line. I have been watching some storms SW of Greenville in Arkansas that have recently developed. Right now they are little more than some light showers but I am waiting to see how quickly they form and intensify. Any storm that develops ahead of the main line has a good chance of rotating and potentially going tornadic. They are also your best best for your stronger tornadoes. I'll be off work at 3:00 and plan on chasing the storms as they approach East Central MS if they wait long enough to get here. If you want updates on warnings and what I am seeing in the field chasing, give me a follow @nmscasStan on twitter. That is my new twitter handle with the storm chase team I am a member of.

TheRef
10-13-2014, 09:28 AM
So you're a member of NMSCAS now? Nice.

starkvegasdawg
10-13-2014, 09:31 AM
Yeah. Joined back in May.

trob115
10-13-2014, 09:33 AM
Hey Ref, How much rainfall do you expect in the Starkville area today/overnight?

TheRef
10-13-2014, 09:37 AM
Hey Ref, How much rainfall do you expect in the Starkville area today/overnight?

Depends on the speed of this system along with the intensity. I can't give a guess right now.

ScoobaDawg
10-13-2014, 12:45 PM
Yall stay safe...Its cranking up

NWS Tornado Warnings ‏@NWStornado 3m3 minutes ago
Tornado Warning including Eudora AR, Greenville MS, Leland MS until 1:45 PM CDT

ScoobaDawg
10-13-2014, 12:46 PM
SevereStudios @severestudios ? 4m 4 minutes ago
Tornado Warning for Issaquena and Washington County in MS until 1:45pm CDT.

Dallas_Dawg
10-13-2014, 12:56 PM
Well shit. We are headed back to Dallas from Starkville today and are almost to Jackson. Looks like we are going to be in rain from Vicksburg all the way to east Tx.

TheRef
10-13-2014, 01:01 PM
Well I'm on the job for about an hour....Watching the Delta right now

ScoobaDawg
10-13-2014, 01:03 PM
Well shit. We are headed back to Dallas from Starkville today and are almost to Jackson. Looks like we are going to be in rain from Vicksburg all the way to east Tx.

Take your time and be safe, that leading edge pushing into MS right now looks like a nasty line with some good wind in it. All cloudy and deary here in downtown dallas.

DawgHouseUnited
10-13-2014, 01:16 PM
Well I'm on the job for about an hour....Watching the Delta right now

Curious: what's your thoughts on NE MS? Tupelo/Corinth region?

TheRef
10-13-2014, 01:16 PM
Curious: what's your thoughts on NE MS? Tupelo/Corinth region?

As the night goes on, the more likely it is that it will be more of a straight-line wind event rather than a tornadic event. Also depends on whether or not some of the cells jump out in front of the line.

starkvegasdawg
10-13-2014, 01:44 PM
Leading edge of storms has made it to Indianola. Several embedded rotations.

starkvegasdawg
10-13-2014, 01:45 PM
Discrete cells popping up in our area now. Biggest near Philadelphia.

ScoobaDawg
10-13-2014, 01:47 PM
Just followed you SVD, thanks for the info.

Rayburn8
10-13-2014, 01:54 PM
Thoughts on the Lafayette county area?

DawgHouseUnited
10-13-2014, 01:55 PM
As the night goes on, the more likely it is that it will be more of a straight-line wind event rather than a tornadic event. Also depends on whether or not some of the cells jump out in front of the line.

Thanks!

Bucky Dog
10-13-2014, 03:04 PM
Ref one hit us in Monroe just before lunch. I haven't heard it confirmed yet and I had already left town. Sounds like lots of damage and power outages. What did you see or hear?

ScoobaDawg
10-13-2014, 03:24 PM
Ref one hit us in Monroe just before lunch. I haven't heard it confirmed yet and I had already left town. Sounds like lots of damage and power outages. What did you see or hear?

Reports from twitter, comfort inn sign fell on top of a car, 18 wheeler blown over on thomas rd, Trees blown down on cars at ULM, Roof partial blown off waterfront grille, all from tstorms havent seen any reports of a tornado.

TheRef
10-13-2014, 03:25 PM

Haven't heard a confirmed report yet. Might have been just straight line winds.

starkvegasdawg
10-13-2014, 03:53 PM
Looks like this is now trying to transition to a straight line wind/hail event. Tornado not out of realm of possibility, though. As soon as chase partner gets here we're heading out in it.

Barking 13
10-13-2014, 05:37 PM
We went thru it between Stuttgart and Pine Bluff just before noon. Stormchasers were all over the side of the road setting up cameras on the wall cloud. just a bunch of rain, no hail. I'm in Texarkana now, about 20 miles from Ashdown, where the one hit this morning..(actually going there tomorrow for business) It's overcast (puffy) here and the temp is about 60 with sustained winds about 20 mph.. the wind hitting my hotel room window on the 4th floor is whistling like a siren...