PDA

View Full Version : Better Defensive Player: Prewitt or McKinney?

ShotgunDawg
10-13-2014, 08:47 AM
Bo Bounds has been saying all morning that Cody Prewitt is the best defensive player in the SEC, but is he really better than Benardrick McKinney?

Cody is having a great year, but McKinney may very will be the best middle linebacker in the nation and influences the play calling and realistic scheme that other teams can run against our defense.

Prewitt is an outstanding player and is having a great year, but does he influence the other team's play calling and game planning the same way that McKinney does?

TheRef
10-13-2014, 08:49 AM
That's actually very tough. Yeah, McKinney is the QB of the defense on our side of the ball and he can make some big plays, but Prewitt is definitely one of those players that you have to scheme against. Honestly, I do think Prewitt is a better player than McKinney, but it's not by much at all.

codeDawg
10-13-2014, 08:57 AM
Both are fantastic players. You could argue one way or another all year about it since they play different positions. I guess that's what makes good sports talk radio.

UMCDawg16
10-13-2014, 09:00 AM
Its just a talking point Bo is using so that OM isn't left out.

Irondawg
10-13-2014, 09:00 AM
I think beni brown actually calls our defense and he appears to be very very good at it

State82
10-13-2014, 09:03 AM
Might give Prewitt a slight edge. I know this. If I could have one player off their team it would be Prewitt.

Political Hack
10-13-2014, 09:05 AM
McKinney is the biggest MLB in America. He's a physically gifted beast. It's not close.

Prewitt is a GREAT college player, but BMac is head and shoulders above him at the next level.

BeardoMSU
10-13-2014, 09:08 AM
If I could have one player off their team it would be Prewitt.

Absolutely; the guy is a beast.

It's difficult to compare the two though, especially since they play different positions, and they both play in different schemes. BM will likely be a top half 1st rounder this year, and Cody did himself a huge favor by coming back for his senior year; great college player.

BLITZII
10-13-2014, 09:10 AM
Different Positions..........Bo is just attempting to get people to call his show.

I do think that Cody is an excellent player though.

Bo = TSUN Homer - And don't give me the "Bo is an MSU graduate." I too have friends who graduated from MSU but are big time TSUN supporters.

DudyDawg
10-13-2014, 09:11 AM
I take bmac. Prewit is a good, opportunistic player, but you can somewhat neutralize a god safety by making him pick between two players to cover in the zone, throwing away from him, getting him in man coverage etc. You can't neutralize a brian urlacher. If you run, he's there. He's good in coverage. He can rush the passer with the best of em. And he's equally opportunistic (recovered and forced like 3-4 fumbles already). You can't just stay away from a good middle linebacker

shoeless joe
10-13-2014, 09:13 AM
Who will be drafted higher? NFL scouts generally know more than talk show hosts.

Political Hack
10-13-2014, 09:17 AM
Who will be drafted higher? NFL scouts generally know more than talk show hosts.

game over.

UMCDawg16
10-13-2014, 09:19 AM
Different Positions..........Bo is just attempting to get people to call his show.

I do think that Cody is an excellent player though.

Bo = TSUN Homer - And don't give me the "Bo is an MSU graduate." I too have friends who graduated from MSU but are big time TSUN supporters.

LOL Bo is a State fan. Funny how our fans get this opinion. One of my friends is buddies with Bo, they graduated State at the same time and he says Bo is all MSU. Besides the fact that Bo is at nearly every MSU home game. He was at A&M and Auburn. You think he is a homer because he goes overboard trying to compensate so that OM fans don't bail on the show. He does a good job IMO being unbiased, which is what he should do.

BLITZII
10-13-2014, 09:27 AM
LOL Bo is a State fan. Funny how our fans get this opinion. One of my friends is buddies with Bo, they graduated State at the same time and he says Bo is all MSU. Besides the fact that Bo is at nearly every MSU home game. He was at A&M and Auburn. You think he is a homer because he goes overboard trying to compensate so that OM fans don't bail on the show. He does a good job IMO being unbiased, which is what he should do.

I can believe this part, because a lot of his sponsors are TSUN people!

WinningIsRelentless
10-13-2014, 09:44 AM
You give our d Cody p and tony c we are by far the best d in the country.

Now with that said let's think about how that ole miss d is going to fair when they have to deal with a dual threat qb? Cody p and tony c won't be able to buy full pass or complete run stop d. This will force them to play sound football.

HailState39110
10-13-2014, 09:50 AM
It's like comparing apples and oranges . One is a LB, one is a S .

cheewgumm
10-13-2014, 09:52 AM
Chris Jones

TrapGame
10-13-2014, 09:55 AM
Bo also said the Old Mississippi Rebellious Black Bears are in the drivers seat for the West b/c we still have Bama and the EB on the road.

msstate7
10-13-2014, 09:57 AM
Bo also said the Old Mississippi Rebellious Black Bears are in the drivers seat for the West b/c we still have Bama and the EB on the road.

This is dumb IMO. Auburn >>>> bama sorry tusk

Really Clark?
10-13-2014, 10:01 AM
I will say that I think Prewitt is a heck of a player and I think probably is one of the main cogs that makes that defense go. It is very tough to compare because of the different positions they play with different responsibilities. But they have 4 DB's that lead their team in tackles (which may be an issue at some point) and he is third. He is second in interceptions with 2. You should see the best player for your defense leading in some category or at least close to the top in multiple categories like McKinney. He is leading or second on the team in tackles, sacks, tackles for loss and when you compare the two players other than interceptions McKinney leads Prewitt in multiple categories. Not to mention that McKinney is also a Top 15 player in the league in Tackles, Sacks, and Tackles for Loss. Prewitt is behind two other players on his own team in those categories and they are DB's as well.

DudyDawg
10-13-2014, 10:07 AM

It's true..... We are separated by two spots from them in polls, from what we've seen, an objective person would have to say they have a better chance than us due to being at home. Why get upset over it. If we played them here, they would say we are in the drivers seat. It's hard to win on the road in the SEC, just ask bama and auburn. We control our destiny, but it's harder to do it on the road (what we have to do) than it is to do at home (what Bama and OM have to do).

cheewgumm
10-13-2014, 10:09 AM
He's right. We gotta beat them there which will be difficult. But we can do it.

MaxedOutMaroon
10-13-2014, 10:17 AM
I will contribute to both conversations...
McKinney is by far the best NFL prospect, but they play two different positions so hard to compare. McKinney is more physical and obviously the best all around. But as far as football knowledge and knowing where to be when, I give Prewitt the advantage. Kid is smart.
OM is a very good team, but they aren't built to go undefeated. Their offense only scored 21 points on TAMU garbage defense. Defense might win championships, but when their isn't much offense it will bite you eventually. I think they lose to Auburn and maybe, but not predicting @Arkansas. I say they go into the Egg Bowl with 2 losses. Personal Opinion

CottonDog
10-13-2014, 10:48 AM
Prewitt is a solid college safety. But he's nowhere near MBac. Come on now.

tcdog70
10-13-2014, 11:19 AM
who has won SEC defensive player of the week 3 times in a Row?? Preston Smith.. But it is hard to compare different positions. CP is pretty damn good--but I wouldn't trade Him for PS or BM.

AlSwearengen
10-13-2014, 11:26 AM
Let's wait and see where each one is drafted, that will tell you all you need to know. Safeties get more interception chances and that is the only reason McKinney and prewitt are in the same discussion.

msstate7
10-13-2014, 11:27 AM
It's true..... We are separated by two spots from them in polls, from what we've seen, an objective person would have to say they have a better chance than us due to being at home. Why get upset over it. If we played them here, they would say we are in the drivers seat. It's hard to win on the road in the SEC, just ask bama and auburn. We control our destiny, but it's harder to do it on the road (what we have to do) than it is to do at home (what Bama and OM have to do).

We do have to go on the road, but we essentially have 2 weeks to get ready for both.

Week before bama game... They play at lsu. We play Tn martin

Week before egg... They play at arkansas. We play vandy.

DudyDawg
10-13-2014, 11:29 AM
We do have to go on the road, but we essentially have 2 weeks to get ready for both.

Week before bama game... They play at lsu. We play Tn martin

Week before egg... They play at arkansas. We play vandy.

I agree that helps us, and I think we win both, but the fact is it's hard to beat good teams in their house, and getting upset at a radio guy for saying that is simply stupid

RAYn_Man
10-13-2014, 11:32 AM
A lot of it has to do with the defensive schemes the teams run. Our scheme is built to let our front 7 get after it and control the line of scrimmage. They put a lot of athletes on the field and swarm to the ball. A ball-hawking safety like him is highlighted in that scheme, whereas a massive middle linebacker like Bmac thrives in our defense.

TUSK
10-13-2014, 11:42 AM
This is dumb IMO. Auburn >>>> bama sorry tusk

I agree with you. I like Bama's chances at home, though.

Will likely be favored to win out bc of that. Better clean a lot of stuff up though.

TheRef
10-13-2014, 11:47 AM
I agree with you. I like Bama's chances at home, though.

Will likely be favored to win out bc of that. Better clean a lot of stuff up though.

Have y'all sacrificed Kiffin to appease the Lord Saban reign yet?

TUSK
10-13-2014, 11:55 AM
Have y'all sacrificed Kiffin to appease the Lord Saban reign yet?

If that bastard doesn't quit trying to "out think the room", I may pull a snatch & grab myself.

RTGDF, even when you can't.