PDA

View Full Version : Question about the "back shoulder" throw...

CadaverDawg
10-12-2014, 09:16 PM
This pass has become a popular thing in football, and it has worked for us quite a bit this year. Auburn defended it better than anyone thus far, and we still had some success. My question is, do you think maybe we need to take a few more shots down field so that the back shoulder throw becomes more of a threat? Seems like we never actually throw the deep ball to DeRunnya, so teams are going to start keying in on the back shoulder because that's the only pass we throw when he runs a fly pattern.

Plus, I think we have a real advantage on the deep ball if we would put in DeRunnya and maybe Morrow and Ross, and have all 3 or 2 of the 3 run fly patterns and force a one on one matchup with a bigger, stronger WR. I love the way we use Bear, I just don't want teams to completely sell out on his short routes, and not respect that we can throw it deep to him too.

It sure is nice to finally have a Calvin Johnson type WR, and a QB that can get it to him. Just another thing that is so new and refreshing about the current brand of MSU football.

DudyDawg
10-12-2014, 09:20 PM
That's more a QB read than design. If they are even, throw back shoulder. Sadly, that means we haven't done as well as we should at getting past coverage, but dak has been throwing people open really well. The pick that was intended for rojo was just a bad read by dak. Rojo had the step and shouldve been led. It depends on coverage and if we get seperation more than designing a ton of back shoulder routes

But to answer the question, no, we don't need to try to force it downfield, just read it better when we do get seperation and use the back shoulder when we don't. The more we have back shoulder success, the more DBs will try to cheat it and get beat deep

Leroy Jenkins
10-12-2014, 09:22 PM
Ill offer a guess here. I think the reason we go backshoulder to Wilson is because it suits his abilities. My assumption is he is not going to run by may DBs, so we let him play physical by stopping and going up for the ball. JMO.