PDA

View Full Version : Todd4state, our #1 ranking got me thinking....

CadaverDawg
10-12-2014, 08:11 PM
I was thinking today about our #1 ranking, and I couldn't help but remember your thread about Archie being on the playoff committee. When you brought it up right after the committee was announced, I thought, "well it won't matter anyway because we'll never be close enough to the top 4 to be considered". And now here we sit, ranked #1, with OM a close #3, and I can't help but to start thinking Archie's being on the committee could play a part in whether we make the playoffs or not. Scary thought. Especially if they have to choose us or OM.

Smitty
10-12-2014, 08:25 PM
Hopefully he still has his bullet from how he was treated when Peyton went to UT. Sweet revenge 20+ years in the making.

They'll change the speed limits to Paidwell's number and piss off everyone!

FlabLoser
10-12-2014, 08:26 PM
Its a committee, not a dictatorship. Unless there's a close call between us & OM, I'm not worried.

MSUDawg4Life
10-12-2014, 08:58 PM
We have to keep winning. Our resume thus far speaks for itself. Screw Archie and anybody else who may not like it. Just keep winning.

LiterallyPolice
10-12-2014, 09:40 PM
Does the committee have official votes with the members having to be accountable for their votes (Like the AP Poll where votes are published)? If so, the ability for one member to screw us is obviously less.

FWIW, I don't think Archie would do that anyway. From all accounts he's a pretty standup guy.

Todd4State
10-12-2014, 09:51 PM
I thought about that as well. The year we have a chance to be in the playoff- we have Archie on the committee. That's why I think that if State and Ole Miss are both 11-0 we HAVE to win the Egg Bowl. I don't think that there will be any either/or whether there should be or not. It's just too easy for Archie to knock us down by saying- "well, they lost to Ole Miss." And really it's hard to argue with that.

I do think/hope that if there are any committee members with potential conflicts of interest that they will be asked to excuse themselves until the discussion is over.

Bass Chaser
10-12-2014, 10:14 PM
I understand what's being said but I thought I read where members of the committee can't vote for certain teams due to conflict of interest.

gravedigger
10-12-2014, 10:21 PM
I have the impression Archie has proven he's above that with his willingness to take the heat for Peyton going to Tennessee.

I may be wrong, but according to me, I don't think so.

Todd4State
10-12-2014, 10:23 PM
I understand what's being said but I thought I read where members of the committee can't vote for certain teams due to conflict of interest.

I looked on the Internet and I didn't find anything that said that they had to. That doesn't mean that don't have to- but I can't confirm it.

Todd4State
10-12-2014, 10:26 PM
I have the impression Archie has proven he's above that with his willingness to take the heat for Peyton going to Tennessee.

I may be wrong, but according to me, I don't think so.

That happened so long ago, plus Eli going to Ole Miss soothed any wounds. Archie is all in on Ole Miss.

The thing about it is while Archie may be "nice", that doesn't mean he won't have bias. I will say that I have never known him to help MSU. And I'm not saying he should, but if it comes down to it, I would say the odds are he is not going to do us any favors. And yes, that could hurt us on a 13 person committee.

Todd4State
10-12-2014, 10:29 PM
Here's an interesting scenario.

We go 12-1 and beat Ole Miss and our only loss is to Georgia (11-2) in the SEC Championship Game. And then Ole Miss finishes 11-1 with a loss to us.

What would Archie do?

TXDawg
10-12-2014, 10:30 PM
It's been discussed before. Archie has to recuse himself from any discussions regarding UM. Unfortunately, that doesn't prevent him from downplaying us...

gravedigger
10-12-2014, 10:50 PM
I have been considering a similar scenario. Both undefeated in the eggbowl. Winner gets the championship game and the loser still gets the bid into the playoff? Seems losing would pay better with more prep time. Yea, the seeding would be worse, but wouldnt NOT playing the seccg be smewhat of an advantage, banners notwithstanding?

Smitty
10-12-2014, 11:48 PM
I have been considering a similar scenario. Both undefeated in the eggbowl. Winner gets the championship game and the loser still gets the bid into the playoff? Seems losing would pay better with more prep time. Yea, the seeding would be worse, but wouldnt NOT playing the seccg be smewhat of an advantage, banners notwithstanding?

Winning is better because if a MS team were to lose the SECCG they would still go to the playoff and knock the other out. Winning is always better and this is why we don't want an undefeated OM. I hope we are 11-0 headed to Oxford and every other west team has 2+ losses.

ShotgunDawg
10-13-2014, 12:01 AM

We go 12-1 and beat Ole Miss and our only loss is to Georgia (11-2) in the SEC Championship Game. And then Ole Miss finishes 11-1 with a loss to us.

What would Archie do?

Actually, in this scenario, I think Georgia gets in, and we would only have a shot if they took two teams. Of course, if they did take two teams, and we beat Ole Miss in Oxford, the committee would have little choice but to put us in the playoff.

Todd4State
10-13-2014, 12:19 AM
Actually, in this scenario, I think Georgia gets in, and we would only have a shot if they took two teams. Of course, if they did take two teams, and we beat Ole Miss in Oxford, the committee would have little choice but to put us in the playoff.

Do they automatically take the conference champion? This is all so new, I have no clue. The way I was reading their criteria they made it sound like anyone that they deemed worthy would get in.

Johnson85
10-13-2014, 09:02 AM
Do they automatically take the conference champion? This is all so new, I have no clue. The way I was reading their criteria they made it sound like anyone that they deemed worthy would get in.

They don't automatically get in but members of the committee have said winning the conference is important. No way the SEC Champ doesn't get in. It'd be very interesting to see what happened if an 11-1 team from teh west lost in the SEC CG and there was an 11-1 team that came second in the West. I think the team that came in second would go to the playoffs if the SEC got a second team at all. It'd be a little more difficult choice if it were a situation where MSU or UM had just won the egg bowl the last game of the season. That would look too much like a team got punished for going to the championship game. If the loss came earlier in the season, I think the 2nd int he West team would go.

HSVDawg
10-13-2014, 12:58 PM

What would Archie do?

I don't know what Archie would do in regards to us vs Ole Miss, but I don't think it would matter. No way an 11-1 Ole Miss jumps a 12-1 MSU while also losing the head to head matchup at home to us. The only questions would be if they took one SEC team or two for the playoff. In your scenario, even if they only took one, you could still make a strong argument of taking us over UGA. We would have the better overall record and also a much stronger strength of schedule due to playing in the West. However, my expectation would be that it would be 50/50 at best between us and UGA, due to the head to head loss.