PDA

View Full Version : As the RebelBearSharks and others try to troll about Mullen

Coach34
10-12-2014, 02:52 PM
Riddle me this:

name me a college coach that got his team ranked #1 in the country- and then left that school for another college job?

CadaverDawg
10-12-2014, 02:58 PM
Yep, now Freeze on the other hand....He would be great with those Florida speedsters. If I was Florida, I would want Freeze. Better start tweeting this.

starkvegasdawg
10-12-2014, 03:01 PM
But gators love to eat beaver.

TrapGame
10-12-2014, 03:04 PM
Of course Freeze would be perfect at Oregon State. He could be the head coach and mascot!

Alldawg
10-12-2014, 03:04 PM
Urban Myer?

Seriously, the days of coaches leaving Ole Miss or MSU for "better" jobs are behind us. Each coach has proven you can win in this State. The SEC money has leveled the playing field when it comes to coaching salaries. Coupling that with the SEC frowning on poaching, I don't see how any coach at a good football school in the SEC would leave for another conference. Vandy and Kentucky excluded.

RC3
10-12-2014, 03:15 PM
they are really acting butthurt at the moment that we are getting more recognition than them..

sleepy dawg
10-12-2014, 03:27 PM
Of course Freeze would be perfect at Oregon State. He could be the head coach and mascot!

nice. +1

aerodawg
10-12-2014, 03:41 PM
Urban Myer?

Seriously, the days of coaches leaving Ole Miss or MSU for "better" jobs are behind us. Each coach has proven you can win in this State. The SEC money has leveled the playing field when it comes to coaching salaries. Coupling that with the SEC frowning on poaching, I don't see how any coach at a good football school in the SEC would leave for another conference. Vandy and Kentucky excluded.

Urban Meyer stepped down with the intent to retire from Florida for his health. After a year off the Ohio state job was open and he took it. Not quite the same. I'm not saying Mullen won't leave for something else, just that it's not the same as it was 10 years ago because we can pay competitively without the elitist fan base mindset of those historical powerhouses.

scottycameron
10-12-2014, 04:13 PM
Urban Meyer stepped down with the intent to retire from Florida for his health. After a year off the Ohio state job was open and he took it. Not quite the same. I'm not saying Mullen won't leave for something else, just that it's not the same as it was 10 years ago because we can pay competitively without the elitist fan base mindset of those historical powerhouses.

Holy shit, you bought that crap? I seriously didn't think there was one person in the country who believed that horseshit from Meyer. Nice to meet you!

ScottH
10-12-2014, 04:19 PM

Bravo. That's F'n hilarious.

I've heard of coach/Ad combos. Never a coach/mascot combo.

32 Dive
10-12-2014, 04:35 PM

That one will NEVER get old. Waiting for that one to get used by a Finebaum caller...

gravedigger
10-12-2014, 04:41 PM
Not sayin I thought it was the whole truth, but what do you think was?

Todd4State
10-12-2014, 04:48 PM
Not sayin I thought it was the whole truth, but what do you think was?

Personally, I believe that they asked him to step down. They wanted Tebow to have an undefeated Heisman season and there certainly was a lot of pressure on Urban. When it didn't happen, I think they may have gotten too full of themselves. And then the year after Tebow they were down from what they were and there were a lot of their fans wanting to run a pro-style offense to fit the QB that they had at the time. But since Meyer had won a couple of NC's, they had to make it look mutual so that they didn't end up with a Cutcliffe situation.

And yes, that's conspiracy theorish.

SDDawg
10-12-2014, 04:55 PM
Personally, I believe that they asked him to step down. They wanted Tebow to have an undefeated Heisman season and there certainly was a lot of pressure on Urban. When it didn't happen, I think they may have gotten too full of themselves. And then the year after Tebow they were down from what they were and there were a lot of their fans wanting to run a pro-style offense to fit the QB that they had at the time. But since Meyer had won a couple of NC's, they had to make it look mutual so that they didn't end up with a Cutcliffe situation.

If any of that's true, I hope they never have a winning season again. This sounds exactly like the ish I would expect from UMiss if they ever FINISH with a great season.

aerodawg
10-12-2014, 07:22 PM
Holy shit, you bought that crap? I seriously didn't think there was one person in the country who believed that horseshit from Meyer. Nice to meet you!

I didn't see any black helicopters. He had 1 bad season two years removed from a national championship. The guy lost a lot of weight that season and looked pretty sickly. I guess his entire family could be in on it too. I'm sure there was pressure to get things right but no way Florida forced him out two years after his second national title without him having his own reasons to hang it up.

If you wanna believe some grassy knoll stuff and think that the commitment of being an sec coach isn't too much for a man having anxiety attacks to reconsider his retirement then I guess there can be no agreement here.

preachermatt83
10-12-2014, 08:27 PM

Nah, he was battling an anxiety disorder. It was obvious. No way in the world they wanted him gone.

preachermatt83
10-12-2014, 08:28 PM
I didn't see any black helicopters. He had 1 bad season two years removed from a national championship. The guy lost a lot of weight that season and looked pretty sickly. I guess his entire family could be in on it too. I'm sure there was pressure to get things right but no way Florida forced him out two years after his second national title without him having his own reasons to hang it up.

If you wanna believe some grassy knoll stuff and think that the commitment of being an sec coach isn't too much for a man having anxiety attacks to reconsider his retirement then I guess there can be no agreement here.

agreed 100 percent. You nailed it. Anyone who has every battled an anxiety/depression issue knows it steals everything from your life.

JDog13
10-12-2014, 09:03 PM
But gators love to eat beaver.

Didn't one of their QB's just get arrested for that?

Percho
10-12-2014, 09:17 PM

Post of the week, maybe month.

blacklistedbully
10-12-2014, 11:44 PM
One thing that does worry me about losing coaches to other teams is the state law prohibiting long-term contracts. If a school like Michigan came after him with a 7-yr contract offer, or similar, we couldn't match it. Now what are the chances a school would offer a long-term contract in this day and age? Probably slim, but it is the one thing that we could have a problem with.

Smitty
10-12-2014, 11:51 PM
Would/could we pay Mullen even more if he signed a non-compete. Unless we fire him he can't go anywhere BUT he gets paid even more because of this. Would help crootin if nothing else.

JDog13
10-12-2014, 11:52 PM
That's why you usually hear about the in state coaches getting a 1 year extension every year.

DawgHouseUnited
10-13-2014, 08:36 AM
One thing that does worry me about losing coaches to other teams is the state law prohibiting long-term contracts. If a school like Michigan came after him with a 7-yr contract offer, or similar, we couldn't match it. Now what are the chances a school would offer a long-term contract in this day and age? Probably slim, but it is the one thing that we could have a problem with.

I can't imagine there's a coach around that actually finishes out a contract. Good ones probably get extensions like we do-keep tacking on a new extension to keep it at the max length, and bad coaches probably get the boot before their contract runs out. I say that to point out that I don't think the length of the contract would be what did it- it would be the $ amounts, and that's what our northern friends are using to drum up concern. I've heard a few OM friends mentioning "what will Mullen do when Florida offers an extra 1-2 mil that State can't match?"

TrapGame
10-13-2014, 08:46 AM
I can't imagine there's a coach around that actually finishes out a contract. Good ones probably get extensions like we do-keep tacking on a new extension to keep it at the max length, and bad coaches probably get the boot before their contract runs out. I say that to point out that I don't think the length of the contract would be what did it- it would be the $ amounts, and that's what our northern friends are using to drum up concern. I've heard a few OM friends mentioning "what will Mullen do when Florida offers an extra 1-2 mil that State can't match?"

We can match Florida thanks to SEC mullah. But it's not about the $$$. Dan and Foley can't stand each other and the fans treated the Mullen's like shit after one loss. Dan has it made in Starkvegas he's not leaving any time soon.

Bubb Rubb
10-13-2014, 08:50 AM

This is a non-issue. They can have an agreement for a rolling extension or whatever. They can still do a long-term agreement, it just has to be worded correctly to adhere to the law.

DawgHouseUnited
10-13-2014, 08:50 AM
We can match Florida thanks to SEC mullah. But it's not about the $$$. Dan and Foley can't stand each other and the fans treated the Mullen's like shit after one loss. Dan has it made in Starkvegas he's not leaving any time soon.

Yeah- I said FL because that was the school that my OM friends mentioned. Basically I don't even bother replying to them any more, with their concern-troll routine. I'm actually more interested in what we'll have to do to keep Collins...

Johnson85
10-13-2014, 09:09 AM
This is a non-issue. They can have an agreement for a rolling extension or whatever. They can still do a long-term agreement, it just has to be worded correctly to adhere to the law.

No, they can't do a long term agreement. For the portion of his contract with the university, there's no way to get beyond the 4 year limit.

If it came down to it, I'm pretty sure the Foundation could do a separate agreement that basically guaranteed the same amount of money that a longer term contract would. Not sure if they'd be willing to do it.

None of this is an issue though. No school that would be a step up is going to offer him more than 4 years of guaranteed money. If he leaves (I don't think he will), it will be because he is simply attracted to the name on the Jersey and an easier path to a championship.