PDA

View Full Version : Upper Deck East Side Was Shaking

sleepy dawg
10-12-2014, 10:52 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I've sat in the upper deck east side for 6 years now. Yesterday the whole upper deck was shaking at times. I didn't notice at first because I was jumping up and down, but once someone pointed it out, I stopped jumping, and noticed it was rocking pretty noticeably. I was able to notice it moving a couple more times throughout the game, but after we got that fumble on the kickoff, it was kinda scary.

Did anyone else notice this, and do y'all think this is something to be concerned about going forward?

Political Hack
10-12-2014, 10:56 AM
most stadiums are built to allow some degree of flexibility for bad weather/earthquake purposes. I don't know how bad it was moving, but I've been in a lot of stadiums like that though. The Redskins old stadium (RFK) was pretty scary in this regard.

Acid mouth
10-12-2014, 11:02 AM
My brother and his friend noticed it as well (east side upper deck). He said u could feel it moving. I guess it's always possible that Chris Jones and Preston Smith landed on the ground at the exact same time causing a small seismic quake.

SnoopDawg
10-12-2014, 11:03 AM
Like Sleepy Dawg, I have been a sky dawg for several years. This morning I commented to my wife about how the noise level and swaying of the stands was exciting but also almost overwhelming. I feel sure the structural engineers planned for crowd excitement and its impact on the integrity of the grandstands. I am not sure they designed it for the excitement a Number 1 team in the nation creates.

EAVdog
10-12-2014, 11:31 AM
All buildings move. Concrete buildings usually don't move enough to notice though, steel bldgs and stadiums will sway a lot. FedEx field will make you nauseous up high. I'm sure its triple redundant designed though.

Jack Lambert
10-12-2014, 11:37 AM
It shooked as well last week.

corona con lima
10-12-2014, 11:39 AM
Numerous sections of the maroon benches in the student section were collapsed after the end of the game and will have to be replaced. Hope no one was hurt.

CCL

HoopsDawg
10-12-2014, 11:43 AM
The woman next to me wore ear plugs. My eyes started watering it was so fcking loud.

preachermatt83
10-12-2014, 12:48 PM
I was in lower level on west side and you could set a phone or drink on the bench and it would literally vibrate off the bench even down low like that. I cant imagine the level of movement in the upperdeck. It was awesome!

BulldogBear
10-12-2014, 12:56 PM
I was in lower level on west side and you could set a phone or drink on the bench and it would literally vibrate off the bench even down low like that. I cant imagine the level of movement in the upperdeck. It was awesome!
On lower east, I had a water bottle that would not stand up once down to a third or so full.

I've sat numerous times in upper east and could visibly see it shaking during the pick6 just before half in Tebow '09 game. I'm sure it's structurally designed for some of that but it was still unnerving.