PDA

View Full Version : Smokey Graham

DudyDawg
10-12-2014, 10:22 AM
Should he still return punts? That's two muffs in two games for the freshman. I love him in the slot, but I think at this point I would rather see someone like Robert Johnson back there to fair catch every single punt. Maybe I'm giving up on graham too soon, but we can't afford to turn those over and give good teams that kind of field position

stalkingpoon
10-12-2014, 10:26 AM
I think he's ok. He just has to learn to either come up and catch the punt or let it go. The two muffs have come on shorter punts he tried to field.

GreenheadDawg
10-12-2014, 10:27 AM
He also fair catches when he should return and returns when he should fair catch. But he is a freshman so their will be some growing pains I'm just glad it hasn't cost us yet and our red zone defense has bailed us out

DudyDawg
10-12-2014, 10:40 AM
I agree that I think he has the ability in him, but I just don't think he should be there yet. Not until he proves better judgement. That muff yesterday was just a dumb play

Political Hack
10-12-2014, 10:52 AM
he's fine. get him the reps now. we need consistency back there and he's done a pretty good job minus a handful of punts. Not bad for a freshman.

DudyDawg
10-12-2014, 11:02 AM
I agree that he's done well for the most part, but that's a spot where one mistake can cost a game. Just would like to see him get some more time in the slot and wait to stick him back there until we get more consistency. I love his elusiveness, but his inexpericed scare me.

HoopsDawg
10-12-2014, 11:56 AM
he's fine. get him the reps now. we need consistency back there and he's done a pretty good job minus a handful of punts. Not bad for a freshman.

I'm not concerned about him getting reps because I think he's going to have a hard time holding off Donald Gray next year.

BulldogBear
10-12-2014, 12:52 PM
These are freshman mistakes. I'm okay with him continuing to return or not, either way.

shoeless joe
10-12-2014, 12:56 PM
As has been said...with a true freshman that's what you get.

One thing he does is take his eyes off the ball to double check the defenders extremely late and I think that causes some indecisiveness on his part. Letting that punt hit the ground was a bad decision but forgivable...muffin it after it hit was not.

Coach34
10-12-2014, 01:15 PM
I never want a true freshman returning punts no matter how talented. Worried we are really going to pay the price in a big game because of it. He worries me more than the FG kicking now

IMissJack
10-12-2014, 01:23 PM
He fields the ball fine when he gets to it, but he does not come up aggressively and get short punts, and lets them hit the ground.