PDA

View Full Version : SEC West 3-Way Tie Scenarios

HSVDawg
10-12-2014, 10:20 AM
It may be a little early to discuss this (and hopefully we go undefeated to render this moot), but I was curious on this Sunday morning. Under the old format, the umpteenth tie breaker for 3-way ties was the BCS standings, but now there are no more BCS standings.

Scenario 1:

MSU loses to Bama in T-town, but wins the Egg Bowl. MSU, Bama, and Ole Miss all win out in the other games that aren't against each other and each team finishes 11-1 / 7-1. Who goes to Atlanta?

Scenario 2:

MSU beats Bama in T-Town, but loses the Egg Bowl. Ole Miss loses to Auburn. MSU, Auburn, and Ole Miss all win out in the games that aren't against each other and each team finishes 11-1 / 7-1. Who goes to Atlanta?

Ralph
10-12-2014, 10:24 AM
I believe the 3 way tie breaker is the best of the combined records of sec east opponents.

curmudgeon
10-12-2014, 10:24 AM
Tiebreaker would come down to record of SEC East opponents. State and Ole Miss both play Vandy which would be a huge disadvantage in a three way tiebreaker.

Bama plays UT and Florida (combined 2-4 at this point), and Auburn plays UGA and USC (combined 5-4 at this point.

At this second, UK and Vandy are a combined 2-5 and Tennessee and Vanderbilt (Ole Miss) are a combined 0-6. There is a shot that Kentucky + Vandy could have a better record than Florida + Tennessee, but Auburn has a huge advantage in a 3-game tiebreaker. Ole Miss is going to have a hard time.

HSVDawg
10-12-2014, 10:34 AM
Good info. So are the teams ranked in order of the SEC East opponent records, or is the #3 team in the tiebreaker thrown out and head-to-head used to break the tie of the remaining two teams?

Also, for the sake of argument, lets say the SEC East opponent records are also identical. Is the playoff poll the next tiebreaker? Does Condelezza Rice pick which mascot she likes the best?

Quaoarsking
10-12-2014, 10:58 AM
Coinflip comes after SEC East records.

If it's a 3-way 7-1 tie, it almost certainly won't be us or Ole Miss thanks to Vanderbilt. Oh well.

I like our playoff chances regardless.