PDA

View Full Version : What's most amazing to me is.........

Jack Lambert
10-12-2014, 09:49 AM
We just beat three teams that is loaded with 4 and 5 star with 2 and 3 stars guys. Not like we got lucky in one game, we dominated three teams full of them. We have the best coaching staff in the country. Stricklin is going to have to come up with some money.

msstate7
10-12-2014, 09:51 AM
Wonder what dan's raise will be. I want our whole staff to get well deserved raises

RC3
10-12-2014, 09:58 AM
If this continues, Mullen and Collins will be able to name their salaries

msstate7
10-12-2014, 10:02 AM
If this continues, Mullen and Collins will be able to name their salaries

Turner and johnson too. They are doing outstanding jobs

RC3
10-12-2014, 10:05 AM
Agreed

Bubb Rubb
10-12-2014, 10:10 AM
We just beat three teams that is loaded with 4 and 5 star with 2 and 3 stars guys. Not like we got lucky in one game, we dominated three teams full of them. We have the best coaching staff in the country. Stricklin is going to have to come up with some money.

This can't be true. Don't you know, LSU, A&M, and Auburn were all very overrated when we played them? **

MetEdDawg
10-12-2014, 10:15 AM
I'm afraid that Collins is going to get to name his head coaching salary. I want to keep him so damn badly but he's going to be a hot commodity after this year. What he's built on our defense is a mentality and a mindset that can be built through an entire program.

I think we need him next year during a defensive transition year very very badly but in order to do that him and the entire defensive staff need raises. The fact we've kept our coaching staff together from last year to this year has been a HUGE factor in our success and I really hope we can do that for one more year.

Jack Lambert
10-12-2014, 10:24 AM
I'm afraid that Collins is going to get to name his head coaching salary. I want to keep him so damn badly but he's going to be a hot commodity after this year. What he's built on our defense is a mentality and a mindset that can be built through an entire program.

I think we need him next year during a defensive transition year very very badly but in order to do that him and the entire defensive staff need raises. The fact we've kept our coaching staff together from last year to this year has been a HUGE factor in our success and I really hope we can do that for one more year.

I don't think Dan is going anywhere but for Collins we can match any pay an none big five conference team is going to offer as a head coaching job. Hopefully they can sell him on staying and waiting on another job.

Political Hack
10-12-2014, 10:27 AM
CDM will never leave State because of money. I can promise you that.

MetEdDawg
10-12-2014, 10:38 AM
I don't think Dan is going anywhere but for Collins we can match any pay an none big five conference team is going to offer as a head coaching job. Hopefully they can sell him on staying and waiting on another job.

I don't think Dan will go anywhere either. But I will be very surprised if Collins isn't a head coach somewhere in the next two years. We may be able to pay him what any non power 5 team could, but there is a much bigger difference in the words Head Coach next to your name than there is Defensive Coordinator. I would hate for him to go, but you can't blame the guy if his dream is to be a head coach. At that point money doesn't really matter. We know he already had interest from his old school FIU. I think he could get something bigger offered to him after this year. Maybe a lower tier Power 5 job.

SDDawg
10-12-2014, 11:01 AM
I know this is the narrative (we win with 2 star guys), and there are a few examples like that, but we're starting to load up the cupboard as well. It's not with all 4 and 5 stars, but it's a steady diet of strong 3 stars and a few 4 and 5 stars that can make early impact (e.g. Chris Jones, Jamoral Graham, Fred Ross, Justin Cox, Beni Brown). I know it's not as compelling of a story, but it's really more of the truth and shows that Mullen is building this program in a way that is actually sustainable. No school in Mississippi is going to have top 5 classes every year, it's just not realistic. But consistently in the top 25 range with great evaluations and a strong developmental program is something that we can do and I'm glad to see us recognized for it.

Coach34
10-12-2014, 11:36 AM
What we do is a great job of finding outstanding athletes that are still kind of raw, show them patience, and allow them to turn into quality SEC football players.

McKinney
Smith
Calhoun
Most of our OL

Guys like that that just need some developmental time to become good football players.

FlabLoser
10-12-2014, 11:50 AM
With all due respect to Paul Jones and Steve Robertson, what amazes me is that people give ultimate authority to non-coaches the write for recruiting websites. Like whatever they say the gospel truth. These guys are 2 stars and those guys are 5 stars.

Well, maybe the recruiting writers were wrong and the coaches were right.

"We've got our own star system." - Dan Mullen

HoopsDawg
10-12-2014, 11:52 AM
We just beat three teams that is loaded with 4 and 5 star with 2 and 3 stars guys.

It's a misnomer that we have a bunch of 2 star guys. We have a few, but we have more 4 star players than 2 star players.

gravedigger
10-12-2014, 12:09 PM
Its oly amazing if you buy into the idea the stars are correct

SDDawg
10-12-2014, 12:27 PM
Its oly amazing if you buy into the idea the stars are correct

You and Flab nailed it: the real "system" is the coaches evaluations and who they select. It's no surprise that guys that get recruited by Bama and others get bumped up so quickly. We're becoming that type of program. The guys we recruit will be 4 and 5 star players BECAUSE Dan says so, and that's a beautiful thing.