PDA

View Full Version : Now that Dan just made this run, I've got a question

Coach 57
10-11-2014, 09:02 PM
I know we are just off the heels of this but I've gotta ask. Where does he stack up in MSU coaching lore? I would be inclined to say he's THE best. He's doing this in a MUCH harder division, and a conference as a whole. He is also doing it by actually developing players. His way has staying power. Going the JUCO route is not his way. His way has lasting effects, and inevitably helps our program. Just a thought.

CadaverDawg
10-11-2014, 09:05 PM
I'd like to see him finish the season strong first, but it's hard to argue against him being the best at this point for the reasons you just mentioned.

Liverpooldawg
10-11-2014, 09:06 PM
2nd behind McKeen and climbing fast.

TXDawg
10-11-2014, 09:07 PM
He's made at least one bone headed coaching call in each of these games. I'd like to see him clean that up.

NBdawg17
10-11-2014, 09:16 PM
He's up there for sure. Also, he probably has the best staff we have ever had.

Coach 57
10-11-2014, 09:18 PM
The previous knock on him was "he hasn't won the big one". He's just done that 3 times in a row in back-back-back weeks Vs top 10 teams. He beat LSU in BR something that hasn't been done since 91. Not only that he (unlike previous coaches who are probably ranked higher by you guys) has never lost to teams he is supposed to beat. Plus (as previously stated) he is doing this in a FAR HARDER SEC & SEC WEST.

Barking 13
10-12-2014, 10:36 PM
I think he finally got his "signature win" *** actually three in a row..

MSUDawg4Life
10-12-2014, 11:38 PM
I'd still like to see how this season ends before proclaiming him the best.

BogeyGolfer
10-13-2014, 07:00 AM
The previous knock on him was "he hasn't won the big one". He's just done that 3 times in a row in back-back-back weeks Vs top 10 teams. He beat LSU in BR something that hasn't been done since 91. Not only that he (unlike previous coaches who are probably ranked higher by you guys) has never lost to teams he is supposed to beat. Plus (as previously stated) he is doing this in a FAR HARDER SEC & SEC WEST.
JWS had far less resources to work with than Dan and inherited a mess far worse than Mullen. You can't ignore those variables when comparing the two. Right now, I still have JWS # 1 but let's let the year play out and it's possible Mullen may rise to the top.

Churchill
10-13-2014, 07:32 AM
The best thing Dan has done is recruit the best QB in MSU`s history. With an average QB we`re probably a two loss team right now.

BulldogBear
10-13-2014, 09:31 AM
2nd behind McKeen and climbing fast.

This^

TXDawg
10-13-2014, 09:37 AM
JWS had far less resources to work with than Dan and inherited a mess far worse than Mullen. You can't ignore those variables when comparing the two. Right now, I still have JWS # 1 but let's let the year play out and it's possible Mullen may rise to the top.

Not sure I agree with this. Mullen had Lee and Relf as his QB options and pretty much no options at WR. We were coming off the worst era of football that I can remember - sure we made it to a bowl game in 2007, but Croom was a disaster. The morale of the fan base and football program was stunningly low. The turnaround that Mullen has accomplished and the way he's done it is nothing short of extraordinary.

Pollodawg
10-13-2014, 09:46 AM
We all love the Kang. He is, in many ways, the father of MSU football. And yes, he won the division, but he won it in a year when you could win it at 8-5 after getting slaughtered by a 4 win LSU team. Comparing what Dan has done to what JWS did is apples and oranges, folks. The division wasn't anywhere near what it is now when Jackie was here.

Political Hack
10-13-2014, 09:46 AM
it's only a 3-man race and Dan has brought us to heights no other coach ever has. You could argue he's #1, but it would be difficult to argue he's 3rd... So, he's #1 or #2.

ScoobaDawg
10-13-2014, 12:01 PM
As long as we dont fall on our face the rest of the season we will very likely make it to Atlanta and be getting the first of hopefully 2 trophies this year. Doing that puts him with one other coach in our history.

So... if we win the whole thing, do we go ahead and give him a statue like Bama or wait 20 years until he retires from State?

bgover4
10-13-2014, 12:15 PM
Tell him its in the plans but wait 20 so we can get it right with his career stats and number of NCs on it.

DownwardDawg
10-13-2014, 12:35 PM
it's only a 3-man race and Dan has brought us to heights no other coach ever has. You could argue he's #1, but it would be difficult to argue he's 3rd... So, he's #1 or #2.

^^^This^^^