PDA

View Full Version : Where does this Saturday rank?

State82
10-09-2014, 09:43 PM
The magnitude of what is about to take place Saturday has made me contemplate on where it stands in MSU history. Now, the events I will mention ended up all being losses. However, think about them from the standpoint of the days leading up to those games and where those games would rank in our sports history. The SEC Championship against Tennessee. The Final Four game against Syracuse. The opening game of the CWS Championship Series against UCLA. Where do you rank the AU game Saturday with respect to our all time history? It's tough for me because I'm all about the baseball team, but I know from a national perspective that is not realistic. Is Saturday the most monumental game in our history in any sport?

ShotgunDawg
10-09-2014, 09:57 PM
This is the biggest HOME football game in MSU history, but it is difficult to compare to actual championship games because, even if we lose this game, we can still win the championship.

The only other HOME football game in our history that could compare to this would be the Arkansas game in 1998. However, I will remind you, that the Arkansas game put us in the lead for the West, but did not win it. We still had to win at Ole Miss that year to actually go the SEC Championship game.

Therefore, due to our ranking, the Playoff implications, and the fact that, winning this game would put us in the lead for the West, just like the Arkansas game in '98 did, I believe this is clearly the most important HOME football game in MSU history.

FlabLoser
10-09-2014, 10:04 PM
A win makes this the top game in MSU history. #3 defeats #2 to become #1. Can't touch that.

If you add MSU and Auburn's #1 votes, you get more #1 votes than FSU currently has. I think there is no question the winner of this game becomes #1.

Bully13
10-09-2014, 10:08 PM
great post 82. no, in fact it's a great post after stepping outside to take a few puffs off my H-Upman and thing a little more.

me and my dad were the 1st 2 on the field in the 6-3 game in '80. I hyperventilated and bully bit my dad's lip and made him bleed because my daddy wanted to kiss bully. but we ended up shittin' the bed based on what I thought we had in my 18 yr old brain.

then came me being at both the UF and AU games back to back when I thought nobody could touch us. then we shit the bed.

the atl trip had me watching at home. we got 17'd on that PF against tee but UT was good but I still think we could have won that game.

but here's the difference. as much as I liked what we did in the 6-3 game, and what JWS did, we now have a head coach with a modern day football I.Q. Sure, Mullen is going to 17 up. All great coaches 17 up time to time. I was one of those pissed off ****s last year too but started feeling it after the egg and liberty bowl.

NEVER in my long and defeated, desperate years have I EVER seen anything like what is going on now. I've NEVER seen offensive production and QB execution like I'm seeing now. \

Final Four? I think someone took money from those who didn't want to see KY vs MSU in NYC. I will go to my grave believing that. I know it hurts but we were the best GD team that year. that SU game was 17 ing joke. those MSU turnovers were a 17ing joke.

The bottom line answer? yes , Saturday is and will be the biggest thing in MSU sports history because we've never had this high of a ranking , never had this much pub, and I really think we can win this 17ing thing and reach something that most thought would never be close to possible.

I never thought our football team could reach the pinacle of what our baseball team could do, but now , for the 1st time, I'm thinkin' otherwise.

and baseball and hoops don't come anywhere close to the college gridiron.

War Machine Dawg
10-09-2014, 10:47 PM
It's the biggest game in school history other than the SECCG. And I only put the SECCG ahead of it because we'd have been SEC Champs had we won.

RC3
10-09-2014, 10:51 PM
I don't know about ever. Biggest game during my lifetime and with the popularity of college football now, I don't see how anything in our past could be as big either. We have to win. We have to. I've been waiting my whole life for this

RC3
10-09-2014, 10:54 PM
It's the biggest game in school history other than the SECCG. And I only put the SECCG ahead of it because we'd have been SEC Champs had we won.

I see this point and in hindsight, you are right. An sec championship opportunity is bigger. But that's kind of what we are dealing with now as well. We almost have to win this one to get there though, so it's almost just as big. Plus sec football is a lot bigger now than it was even then. It's a whole different beast. Short of the nfl, we play in the best football conference (and division) on the planet. This is monumental. And it's in starkville

BulldogBear
10-09-2014, 11:00 PM
In 1941, the Egg Bowl was a winner take all as they would be the SEC champion. We proceeded to win the game and our only SEC championship. That's the biggest game in our history but I don't remember if we were home or in Oxford.

Political Hack
10-09-2014, 11:13 PM
Final Four? I think someone took money from those who didn't want to see KY vs MSU in NYC. I will go to my grave believing that.

dumb. as. hell.

He ran into John Wallace and couldn't dribble afterwards. he called his high school coach after the game and told him he couldn't remember any of the game. He had a concussion. He was playing fine up until that screen. They should've pulled him. They didn't. It's On the staff... not any player taking money. That's just dumb.

Political Hack
10-09-2014, 11:13 PM
this weekend is #1.

Bully13
10-09-2014, 11:15 PM
dumb. as. hell.

He ran into John Wallace and couldn't dribble afterwards. he called his high school coach after the game and told him he couldn't remember any of the game. He had a concussion. He was playing fine up until that screen. They should've pulled him. They didn't. It's On the staff... not any player taking money. That's just dumb.

yea, right..

cbrunt29
10-10-2014, 12:08 AM
If we win this game, it will be number 1.

Political Hack
10-10-2014, 05:28 AM
yea, right..

^^^^ Informed rebuttal.***

dawgpound
10-10-2014, 08:37 AM
Biggest home game and event to ever happen at Our State

Sienfield
10-10-2014, 08:56 AM
We are about to experience what most men dare to even dream about.
Kramer

State82
10-10-2014, 09:16 AM
In 1941, the Egg Bowl was a winner take all as they would be the SEC champion. We proceeded to win the game and our only SEC championship. That's the biggest game in our history but I don't remember if we were home or in Oxford.

You can definitely make an argument for that game. The argument for this game is the position we find ourselves in nationally. After the 1941 UM game we were 16th in the final AP poll. Tomorrow's contest holds much bigger stakes from a national perspective.

Liverpooldawg
10-10-2014, 09:52 AM
The game that gave us our only SEC title to date has to be #1, 1941 UM.