PDA

View Full Version : Defense

msstate7
10-09-2014, 07:21 PM
Anyone a little a disappointed we haven't been more dominant? I really thought our defense was gonna be the dominant group, but so far it's been the offense. I like how we've played in spurts, but I'm ready to see us play 60 mins every game.

(I'm not unhappy with our defense. They've been good. I just think they can be better than they've shown so far)

ShotgunDawg
10-09-2014, 07:29 PM
Anyone a little a disappointed we haven't been more dominant? I really thought our defense was gonna be the dominant group, but so far it's been the offense. I like how we've played in spurts, but I'm ready to see us play 60 mins every game.

(I'm not unhappy with our defense. They've been good. I just think they can be better than they've shown so far)

The defense has been relatively dominant when the game is on the line. We have yet to have a game that was within 20 points entering the 4th quarter.

College kids don't always have the attention span to stay focused after a game gets out of hand.

Plainly, our defense has been dominant when we have needed it to be. Football isn't played in a vacuum or on a stat sheet, it is played to win the game. Once that happens, even the greatest competitors sometimes lose focus and dick around.

Personally, I've been OK with some of our lack of focus late in games, because I believe it's given the coaches the ability to ride our player's asses after they have beat top 10 teams. There has been a humbling factor that has taken place in the last 5 minutes of these games, and I believe that has helped our team stay focused and get over wins.

MaxedOutMaroon
10-09-2014, 07:31 PM
I'm happy with them the first 54 minutes of the past 2 games. Only have given up 3 TD's (remember LSU scored a defensive TD after halftime) in that time. If we play 60 minutes of what we do the first 3.5 quarters, I'm totally satisfied. It's hard to "dominate" Kevin Sumlin's offense.

gravedigger
10-09-2014, 07:42 PM
In this era of offensive football no team will be dominant in the same definition of the 90s or 80's

msstate7
10-09-2014, 07:46 PM
In this era of offensive football no team will be dominant in the same definition of the 90s or 80's
Someone forgot to tell bama '11 and '12.

In '11 bama gave up an amazing 183.6 yards a game. That is freaking crazy

rrog17
10-09-2014, 08:08 PM
Hate to say it, but I think I read the Bears D has only given up 3 TDs.

msstate7
10-09-2014, 08:12 PM
Hate to say it, but I think I read the Bears D has only given up 3 TDs.

Very impressive. I think aTm scores more than that this week though (probably my heart more than my head)

Jack Lambert
10-09-2014, 08:18 PM
Very impressive. I think aTm scores more than that this week though (probably my heart more than my head)

They a have played one game in a hostile stadium and that was Vandy. They have had home field advantage when they were on defense and that's encluding BSU game in Atlanta. Let see how well they do when A & M stadium is quiet when they are on defense. It is very big help when you are at home playing defense. I don't think Ole Miss will score more then 17 points Saturday due to the noise they have not had to face all year.

Coach34
10-09-2014, 08:24 PM
We held on of the best offense in the country to 17 points and then we started subbing....LSU had 10 then we started subbing...USM and USA scored 3 points combined.

Our D has been exceptional AND we have been able to get the younger guys alot of playing time....I couldnt be more happy with our D

Todd4State
10-09-2014, 09:04 PM
We probably would have better defensive stats if we played the main starters/back-ups all game, but we haven't.

Our stats probably don't reflect how good we are because of three fluke plays against UAB, our back-up center misfiring a snap against LSU and then not being able to recover an on sides kick against Texas A&M.

We shut out USM, and then we only allowed 3 to South Alabama on the road. If I'm upset at anybody on defense it's the third string guys.

JDog13
10-09-2014, 09:33 PM
We held on of the best offense in the country to 17 points and then we started subbing....LSU had 10 then we started subbing...USM and USA scored 3 points combined.

Our D has been exceptional AND we have been able to get the younger guys alot of playing time....I couldnt be more happy with our D

So you're saying we have only given up 3 td's also when the starters are in?

Todd4State
10-09-2014, 09:47 PM

And I think it's worth mentioning that UAB is in the top 25 in total offense right now.

jalakin
10-09-2014, 09:48 PM

Except I think that is 3 tds their defense as a whole has given up. I thought I saw an article where their starters only have given up 1 td and that was to Alabama, which is impressive. Now whether they can hold Texas A&M in check like we did is yet to be seen. Our offense helps our defense stay fresh.

War Machine Dawg
10-09-2014, 10:44 PM
And I think it's worth mentioning that UAB is in the top 25 in total offense right now.

I said right after that game that UAB is legitimately good. They've got some playmakers on offense.

LC Dawg
10-09-2014, 10:49 PM
We gave up a td to A&M on a perfectly scripted opening drive and they didn't score another td until the 3rd quarter when it was obvious that they couldn't stop our offense. Brian Griese was on SVP today and he made a point to say that our defensive backfield was better than people give them credit for. I'm not worried about our defense.

hacker
10-09-2014, 11:47 PM
is this a troll? we are as dominant on D as i've seen a team in a while.

take out the preseason, and we shut both LSU and A&M down.

msstate7
10-10-2014, 07:12 AM
is this a troll? we are as dominant on D as i've seen a team in a while.

take out the preseason, and we shut both LSU and A&M down.

We've been solid on defense, but no where near dominant.

Scoring defense: 19.4 pts/game (5th in sec) -- this is pretty solid. I have no problem with this

Rushing defense: 98.2 yds/game (2nd in sec) -- this is very good. It will be tested this week.

Passing defense: 328.2 yds/game (14th in sec, 126th nationally) -- I know the company line is that we've been up and teams can't run so they pass all the time. I just don't buy it completely. We've got to stop letting receicers run free so much. I know I'm knit picking, but I've got national championship dreams.

Total defense: 426.4 yards/game (13th in sec)

Again, I'm not necessarily unhappy with our defense, but I expect better. This defense is capable of better. We've seen spurts of what they're capable of. I'm ready to see it every down of every game. I'm hoping that cox getting healthy will sure up some of these holes in the secondary

basedog
10-10-2014, 07:55 AM
Disappointed, hell no, I could care less about stats, stats seem to be what TSUN is all about in everything they do! Our defense has done enough for us to be #3 plus we have played so many players to get experience for the long haul Also, we haven't been tested early in games except maybe the first quarter against the Aggies and our defense dominated when need be along with 3 and a half quarters against Lsu.

All that matters is winning not a bunch of stats, hey I'm just saying and not trying to be critical to anyone!

Coach34
10-10-2014, 08:51 AM
We've been solid on defense, but no where near dominant.

Scoring defense: 19.4 pts/game (5th in sec) -- this is pretty solid. I have no problem with this

Rushing defense: 98.2 yds/game (2nd in sec) -- this is very good. It will be tested this week.

Passing defense: 328.2 yds/game (14th in sec, 126th nationally) -- I know the company line is that we've been up and teams can't run so they pass all the time. I just don't buy it completely. We've got to stop letting receicers run free so much. I know I'm knit picking, but I've got national championship dreams.

Total defense: 426.4 yards/game (13th in sec)

Again, I'm not necessarily unhappy with our defense, but I expect better. This defense is capable of better. We've seen spurts of what they're capable of. I'm ready to see it every down of every game. I'm hoping that cox getting healthy will sure up some of these holes in the secondary

Here's where you are missing the point though:

Our defense is dominant- until we put teams away. We have basically had 5 blowouts- we were a dropped pass away from leading A&M 55-17 last Saturday in the 4th Q. We had LSU 34-10 in the 4th. No team has been closer than 20 points of us starting the 4th Q all year.

The RebelBearSharks havent had that luxury. They were 7-3 with Memphis in the 4th. They were 7-3 with Boise in the 4th. They trailed Bammer in the 4th.

Totally different mindset of the two teams on defense in the 4th Q of games

msstate7
10-10-2014, 09:00 AM
Here's where you are missing the point though:

Our defense is dominant- until we put teams away. We have basically had 5 blowouts- we were a dropped pass away from leading A&M 55-17 last Saturday in the 4th Q. We had LSU 34-10 in the 4th. No team has been closer than 20 points of us starting the 4th Q all year.

The RebelBearSharks havent had that luxury. They were 7-3 with Memphis in the 4th. They were 7-3 with Boise in the 4th. They trailed Bammer in the 4th.

Totally different mindset of the two teams on defense in the 4th Q of games

You guys are probably right. I'm just not used to not having an issue to critique I guess. Haha

dawgpound
10-10-2014, 09:07 AM
The only concern I have with our D is our 4th quarter defense. I know some of these games we had subs in but we cannot allow teams to make a 4th quarter comeback

TrapGame
10-10-2014, 09:18 AM
Do not forget Kenny hill was 32 of 67. He threw the ball 67 times and only came up with 3 tds out of it. 67!!! times.

tcdog70
10-10-2014, 09:33 AM
I hate Stats--Here is what is Important- Ws-5 Ls-0. then 2-0 in the SEC--Then we beat LSU at Death Valley--easily and Then we Stomp a Mud hole in the all-offensive A&M. As long as we continue to WIN I could give a Shit about defensive Stats. There is only 1 Stat that matters--who scores the most points---HAIL STATE!!

engie
10-10-2014, 09:34 AM
Yes, the defense has not been as good as advertised yet. No need to make excuses for it. We're better at getting pressure and creating negative plays than I thought we would be, about what I expected against the run, and have underperformed in an almost extreme way against the pass. Our free safeties have been almost awol all year -- Coman, Cox, and Evans. Scoring and total D well below where I thought it would and should be. Red Zone D better than I thought it would be.

I know some of it is by design and some of it is a stat skew, but still. It's looking more and more like what we thought was Nickoe always being "2 steps late" was actually "Nickoe saving our asses"...

sandwolf
10-10-2014, 10:46 AM
Yes, the defense has not been as good as advertised yet. No need to make excuses for it. We're better at getting pressure and creating negative plays than I thought we would be, about what I expected against the run, and have underperformed in an almost extreme way against the pass. Our free safeties have been almost awol all year -- Coman, Cox, and Evans. Scoring and total D well below where I thought it would and should be. Red Zone D better than I thought it would be.

Completely agree. Our rush defense has been very good - on the season we have allowed just 2.89 yards per attempt and 2 rushing TD's. But our passing defense has been a disappointment....Redmond has really come along and helped our corner play, but as you said, our free safeties have been all but nonexistent. I do think that we are better against the pass than our stats indicate, but that really isn't saying much because our stats are really bad. The bottom line is that we need to improve against the pass....and if we can do that, then there is no limit to what we can do this year.

Coach34
10-10-2014, 10:50 AM
Our stats vs the pass are actually really damn good. The only bad one is yards allowed- and most of that is garbage time.

We are one of the best in the country at completion percentage allowed- as in teams have trouble completing passes against us. The problem is that our run defense is so damn good- teams throw more passes against us than they do other teams.

Coach34
10-10-2014, 10:54 AM
Think about this:

The guy that people said led the best passing attack in the country and was going to throw all over us went 32/67....less than 50%. He also got some easy ones late in the 4th or it would have been worse than that.

There are more stats to look at than just yards allowed. Use your head people

Really Clark?
10-10-2014, 10:55 AM

I know some of it is by design and some of it is a stat skew, but still. It's looking more and more like what we thought was Nickoe always being "2 steps late" was actually "Nickoe saving our asses"...

This is mostly true. How much weight should we give to the stats that have been inflated because of situations? Idk. I do know that well over half of the pass attempts and yards thrown against us have been when we are up by 15+ points. Teams are attempting a lot of passes against us but some of that is due to the teams we have played and their game plan and them playing from behind early in games. We are the only team in the league that have had 5 games in which we are up by a 15+ Point Margin. Inside the numbers our 3rd down pass defense is good. We are 5th in the league, while having the most attempts against us. Second in the league in completion percentage (less than 40%) on 3rd downs. That gives me hope that some of the numbers are an outlier. But there is concern as a truly elite Defense doesn't have some of these bad numbers.

War Machine Dawg
10-10-2014, 11:15 AM
Our stats vs the pass are actually really damn good. The only bad one is yards allowed- and most of that is garbage time.

We are one of the best in the country at completion percentage allowed- as in teams have trouble completing passes against us. The problem is that our run defense is so damn good- teams throw more passes against us than they do other teams.

Think about this:

The guy that people said led the best passing attack in the country and was going to throw all over us went 32/67....less than 50%. He also got some easy ones late in the 4th or it would have been worse than that.

There are more stats to look at than just yards allowed. Use your head people

Nailed it. It really does amaze me how some of our fans look for something to be worried about or criticize. We've been damn good defensively, even against the pass, minus one game and garbage time. Passing yards allowed is a really crappy stat nowadays anyway, with the explosion of spread offenses. I'll admit I was a little concerned before aTm, but I'm not anymore. The DBs are solid and should continue to be.

msstate7
10-10-2014, 11:27 AM
I think this is the week that tells the tale about our defense. Lsu was a 1-dimensional run team and aTm is a pass heavy team. Auburn is the best blend we've seen

Percho
10-10-2014, 11:46 AM
I would bring 7 on the first play against Aub.

Maybe 8.

msstate7
10-10-2014, 11:47 AM
I would bring 7 on the first play against Aub.

Marbe 8.

Not so sure. I think they go deep first play

MarketingBully01
10-10-2014, 12:14 PM
Not so sure. I think they go deep first play

And they won't complete it. If they are trying to pass it all over the field, I think Collins would have won the battle. Malzhan's teams are always about running the ball not passing it. If Marshall is throwing a ton tomorrow, we win period. One of their biggest stats is the 250 rushing mark. If they don't get to that level, we will win by a lot. I still say we win 24-17 regardless but if they try to pass quite a bit tomorrow I would add 20 to our score (in other words a 44-17 score). If we get pressure on Marshall and make him uncomfortable and keep their running game in check, we will be fine.

MarketingBully01
10-10-2014, 12:16 PM
Tackling in space once again will be key just like last week. We are great at that in the secondary and which is why I think we win this game.