PDA

View Full Version : I was curious what the tiebreaker would be in conference

Leroy Jenkins
10-09-2014, 03:26 PM
now that there is no BCS.

Here's the new breakdown of tiebreaker precedence. (from 24/7)

A. Combined head-to-head record among the tied teams
B. Record of the tied teams within the division
C. Head-to-head competition against the team within the division with the best overall Conference record (divisional and non-divisional) and proceeding through the division (multiple ties within the division will be broken from first to last and a tie for first place will be broken before a tie for fourth place)
D. Overall Conference record against non-divisional teams
E. Combined record against all common non-divisional teams
F. Record against the common non-divisional team with the best overall Conference record (divisional and non-divisional) and proceeding through other common non-divisional teams based on their order of finish within their division; and
G. Changed: Combined SEC record of the team's cross-divisional opponents

PMDawg
10-09-2014, 03:36 PM
Nm...totally convuluted until we get a lot more results.

spiritual_machine2005
10-09-2014, 03:36 PM
I'm still confused. Let's just win them all so we don't have to worry about this crap.

codeDawg
10-09-2014, 03:43 PM
The scenario where this would come into play is us beating AU, AU beating UM, us losing to UM, and everybody winning all other games, right?

Agree, let's just win them all.

Leroy Jenkins
10-09-2014, 03:50 PM
The scenario where this would come into play is us beating AU, AU beating UM, us losing to UM, and everybody winning all other games, right?

Agree, let's just win them all.

If any combination of 3 teams end up with 1 loss. Seems likely. For example if we have 1 loss vs bama, who had 1 loss vs tsun who had one loss to aTm or Aub or LSU or whatever.

I understand the average fan doesn't get this deep into the rule book. Just thought it was interesting.

TUSK
10-09-2014, 04:12 PM
alphabetical.

curmudgeon
10-09-2014, 04:20 PM
We need Kentucky to win the East and Vandy to start winning games. Any A-B-C tiebreaker is going to come down to combined record of East opponents. Auburn plays Georgia and South Carolina so they will have the advantage.

Chinchilla
10-09-2014, 04:21 PM
If we end up in a 3-way tie with 1 loss, there's very little chance we'll win the tiebreaker.

For example, we beat Auburn, who beats OM, who beats us, and we all win the rest of our games:

A) We'd all be 1-1
B) We'd all be 5-1
C-F) We'd all be undefeated in all of these.
G) Auburn plays UGA and SoCar, which will inevitably have better records than any duo that includes Vandy, who plays both us and OM.

The last tiebreaker is no more likely to go our way if you were to plug in aTm, who plays Missouri and SoCar. We'd have a chance against Bama, who plays Tennessee and Florida, but it would be a small one.

Now, if the three-way tiebreaker involves three teams with 2 losses or more than three teams, then it could go a thousand different directions.

gravedigger
10-09-2014, 08:04 PM
alphabetical.

I hate Passive progressive people that should be state fans like the rest of us.