PDA

View Full Version : My 2 pennies about the game Satuday

Coach 57
10-08-2014, 07:31 PM
Question....is there a better defense in our conference suited (personnel wise) to stop this offense? Let's do the run down. To stop this offense it starts up front. To dig in, you will need a pleathera of skill sets on the DL. You will need not just guys that stand in techniques/gaps but also guys that CAN execute those techniques. Our defensive line is a very diverse one. We have true 0/1 techs like PJ, Virges & James. These guys put tremendous pressure on the center by not allowing him to roam upfield to block ILBs.

To stop Auburn you must first secure and eliminate the dive/belly plays. It's the key to their run offense. They will run zone read all day long if you cannot secure the gaps between both G's outside shoulders. The key is to split the C/G blocking combo & occasionally mixing in stunts/twists. These must be used SPARINGLY! Use them too much & they (DTs) will get caught in the trash. So you throw this in to cause confusion amongst the interior blocking scheme. Cross the C's face and by chasing his outside shoulder and you can find yourself somewhere between DT Heaven & hell. The DEs are the next key. They MUST maintain outside containment! They like running zone stretch occasionally (motioned RB/slot WR to draw in the safety & LBs and the OLB & DE is who Marshall will read). If the OLB or DE pinches Marshall will pull it. If they stay home he bellys it right up the middle. Again our DTs need to control gaps so that when he does keep we make him pay for it. The DEs will have to do something they have never had to do so far, they will have to slow play the edge. And force him (whoever) to slow up so that we can coral him. When we do lose gap integrity inside, our LBs MUST FILL! It's absolutely imperative that we do this (again) not too many times. We start filling & showing and we give up the middle of the field.

CBs will need to press at the LOS and this week we must be successful in man coverage! Safeties will need to really have sharp eye discipline this week moreso than any other week. Possibly more than any team this year. This offense is tricky! But our personnel is better suited to handle it than any other defense. We can match their speed at LB with guys like Wells, Richie & Jackson. When Payne comes into the backfield guys like BMac are going to be vital to stopping the run game! Calhoun & Redmond will absolutely have their work cut out for them. But I think games like this is what they thrive on. God bless & go good guys!

(it's a good read- just thought I'd help slightly)

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2014, 07:42 PM
Outstanding.... Thanks Geoff!

Our corners scare me this week for two reasons:

1. Auburn is good at jump balls, and our corners haven't been great there.

2. Because of Marshall's mobility, we can't just pin our ears back and rush the passer. Therefore, since our DEs must maintain outside containment, I fear that Marshall will have time in the pocket to throw the deep ball.

Maybe the best thing our defense can do this week is to create pressure from the inside. We really need Chris Jones to have a great game or Preston Smith to lineup inside to collapse the pocket and flush Marshall to either side.

How do we manage this?

BulldogDX55
10-08-2014, 07:43 PM
Coach, I love your work, but please, please break your writings up into paragraphs.

Homedawg
10-08-2014, 08:34 PM
Coach, I love your work, but please, please break your writings up into paragraphs.

Good grief.

Bo Darville
10-08-2014, 08:49 PM
One thing that can be said of all match ups, but can never be said enough. First and third downs. Give up 5 or 6 yards on first down and you are going to lose a lot of ball games. Give up 1 or 2 and you are in good shape. Got to get off the field on 3rd downs.

Coach 57
10-08-2014, 08:56 PM
Lol, thanks C34. My strength is not my sentence structure or my alignment. Lol!

yjnkdawg
10-08-2014, 09:02 PM
Outstanding Post, Coach 57. Thanks.

War Machine Dawg
10-08-2014, 10:20 PM
Out-f'n-standing!!!!

http://i.imgur.com/8VkpGAq.gif

http://i.imgur.com/MmHIi8P.gif

Dallas_Dawg
10-09-2014, 12:23 AM
Great post, excellent insight. I think we win, our home field advantage is going to be too much.

drunkernhelldawg
10-09-2014, 12:33 AM
enlightening.

mstatefan91
10-09-2014, 01:16 AM
Great post. I can see this game being either a blow out or a close one depending on the defensive game plan and subsequent execution of the defensive game plan.