PDA

View Full Version : This was discussed in another, so I thought it deserved it's own thread....

CadaverDawg
10-08-2014, 01:58 PM
Early look at what we will be returning next year on defense.

Sure, we lose several on defense including P Jones, Smith, Virges, BMac, Wells, Love, Hughes, and Cox. But the following are guys that will be returning from that unit, and this list doesn't include incoming freshmen (and I think we may have a few challenge for playing time).

DL

Chris Jones
Ryan Brown
AJ Jefferson
Nick James
Nelson Adams
Cory Thomas
Grant Harris
Torrey Dale
Will Coleman
Braxton Hoyett
John Harris

Linebackers

Benny Brown
Richie Brown
Zach Jackson
Dez Harris
Gerri Green
J.T. Gray
Quadry Antoine
D. Ward

Defensive Backs

Will Redmond
Taveze Calhoun
Kendrick Market
Tolando Cleveland
Kivon Coman
Deonte Evans
Cedric Jiles
Brandon Bryant
Chris Rayford
Jahmere Irvin-Sills

The good news next year is that we have a very solid, and experienced, first unit on defense. It will be about developing depth.

CadaverDawg
10-08-2014, 02:05 PM
Offensively:

OL

Senior
Malone
Clayborn
Desper
Warren
J Johnson
Calhoun
Carter
Jenkins
Flowers
Thomas
Cochran

QB's

Dak
Damian
Staley
Fitz

RB's

JRob
Shumpert
Aeris
Holloway

WR's

DeRunnya
Fred Ross
Fred Brown
Gabe Myles
Jamoral Graham
Joe Morrow
Gus Walley TE
Shelby Christy
Hutcherson TE
Rashun Dixon
Jesse Jackson
BJ Hammond TE

If we find a solid LT out of a great list of guys, I don't think we skip a beat offensively.

FlabLoser
10-08-2014, 02:07 PM
You lost me at "next year".

I'm still on "last week".

CadaverDawg
10-08-2014, 02:09 PM
You lost me at "next year".

I'm still on "last week".

Yea, I know it's not a big topic right now, but people were talking about it in a different thread, so I thought I would post all returners. We are losing a lot of Seniors, yet we still have one of the most talented MSU rosters of all time returning. Our depth and recruiting have improved so much there arent words to describe it.

gtowndawg
10-08-2014, 02:18 PM
not trying to look past this week. But 100% confession, I said before the first game we would be good this year but had to cash in this year (because we lose so many seniors). After seeing your list, I'm telling you, we should be very good again next year. Very good.

CadaverDawg
10-08-2014, 02:28 PM
not trying to look past this week. But 100% confession, I said before the first game we would be good this year but had to cash in this year (because we lose so many seniors). After seeing your list, I'm telling you, we should be very good again next year. Very good.

Totally agree, gtown. I mean, look at that list. And we have a top 15 recruiting class coming in that has TONS of playmakers in it. I'm telling you guys, this may be our best chance at winning a Title for a while due to several factors....but this is only the beginning of our run as a SEC contender. We are loaded with good, experienced, hard working, depth...and it's only going to get better after the season we're having right now plus the addition of what's already committed for 2015.

Guys like Gerri Green, Cory Thomas, Brandon Bryant, JT Gray, etc... Would have started for us as True Freshmen 5-6 years ago. Now they are developing 1-2 seasons and hitting the field as transformed monsters in their Redshirt Freshmen/Soph seasons. It's just a new day at MSU.

LC Dawg
10-08-2014, 03:08 PM
I've noticed in a couple of threads recently comments to the effect that we will drop off significantly on defense next year. I took exception to these comments but I didn't respond. As you mentioned Cadaver, we lose a lot of seniors but we have a lot of talent coming back on defense. We may have to endure a few growing pains early in the year but when your qb is senior Dak Prescott you can afford a few growing pains on defense.
I know this isn't relevant to this year but I can't concentrate at work because of this weekend so I've got to do something.

Irondawg
10-08-2014, 04:48 PM
We just need to find a playmaker safety like pre-injury Nickoe. Right now we have guys that make the routine play and tackle well enough but an impact guy would give the secondary a big boost. Was really hoping Cox would be that guy and it hasn't happened...........yet

justwin
10-08-2014, 07:09 PM
Saw Cory Thomas on the sideline vs TXAM and he looked very fit and bigger than when he signed.

assuming 3-4 of our commits will play next season too...I'm thinking Calvin from Juco, McLaurin @ safety, Smitherman @ CB, Adams @ DL, & Peters @ Safety all have a real shot...Can't even imagine how fun it would be for the Adams brothers (Nelson & Fletcher) to play together next year.

Early look at what we will be returning next year on defense.

Sure, we lose several on defense including P Jones, Smith, Virges, BMac, Wells, Love, Hughes, and Cox. But the following are guys that will be returning from that unit, and this list doesn't include incoming freshmen (and I think we may have a few challenge for playing time).

DL

Chris Jones
Ryan Brown
AJ Jefferson
Nick James
Nelson Adams
Cory Thomas
Grant Harris
Torrey Dale
Will Coleman
Braxton Hoyett
John Harris

Linebackers

Benny Brown
Richie Brown
Zach Jackson
Dez Harris
Gerri Green
J.T. Gray
Quadry Antoine
D. Ward

Defensive Backs

Will Redmond
Taveze Calhoun
Kendrick Market
Tolando Cleveland
Kivon Coman
Deonte Evans
Cedric Jiles
Brandon Bryant
Chris Rayford
Jahmere Irvin-Sills

The good news next year is that we have a very solid, and experienced, first unit on defense. It will be about developing depth.

justwin
10-08-2014, 07:15 PM
So, we're going to have 4 returning starting OL next year (first 4 you list)? I think Cole Carter is going to get the LT gig as 6'6" RS Jr.

I'm excited to see Gray & Dontea Jones get into the WR mix next year too.

Does anyone think that Malik Dear is a Josh Robinson clone?

Offensively:

OL

Senior
Malone
Clayborn
Desper
Warren
J Johnson
Calhoun
Carter
Jenkins
Flowers
Thomas
Cochran

QB's

Dak
Damian
Staley
Fitz

RB's

JRob
Shumpert
Aeris
Holloway

WR's

DeRunnya
Fred Ross
Fred Brown
Gabe Myles
Jamoral Graham
Joe Morrow
Gus Walley TE
Shelby Christy
Hutcherson TE
Rashun Dixon
Jesse Jackson
BJ Hammond TE

If we find a solid LT out of a great list of guys, I don't think we skip a beat offensively.

smootness
10-08-2014, 07:17 PM
Saw Cory Thomas on the sideline vs TXAM and he looked very fit and bigger than when he signed.

assuming 3-4 of our commits will play next season too...I'm thinking Calvin from Juco, McLaurin @ safety, Smitherman @ CB, Adams @ DL, & Peters @ Safety all have a real shot...Can't even imagine how fun it would be for the Adams brothers (Nelson & Fletcher) to play together next year.

And I saw Grant Harris in the locker room, and he looked like he was in fantastic shape. He's smaller than when he signed and in much better condition overall. He's definitely a DE.

I think our offense has the chance to be phenomenal next year, though I think Robinson is gone as he should be. Our defense will have some growing pains after losing so many leaders, but we'll be talented enough there to become darn good.

HoopsDawg
10-08-2014, 07:54 PM
And I saw Grant Harris in the locker room, and he looked like he was in fantastic shape. He's smaller than when he signed and in much better condition overall. He's definitely a DE.

I think our offense has the chance to be phenomenal next year, though I think Robinson is gone as he should be. Our defense will have some growing pains after losing so many leaders, but we'll be talented enough there to become darn good.

J-Rob will be back.

CadaverDawg
10-08-2014, 07:56 PM

You think Robinson goes pro? He doesn't have the breakaway speed needed to leave early for the NFL in my opinion, but maybe you're right. I expect both JRob and Dak back next season....unless we win the National Championship, Maybe

msstate7
10-08-2014, 08:02 PM
If JRob does leave early is aeris the heir apparent? What's the word on him in practice?

How good are Gibson, dear, Thomas, and Murphy? Do any of these have a shot at serious PT as a frosh?

Coach34
10-08-2014, 08:07 PM
I'm not counting on Dakota or JRob back at this point. They are working their way up the draft

HoopsDawg
10-08-2014, 08:13 PM
If JRob does leave early is aeris the heir apparent? What's the word on him in practice?

How good are Gibson, dear, Thomas, and Murphy? Do any of these have a shot at serious PT as a frosh?

I think Gibson will be the 2nd best back on our roster next year behind J-Rob.

CadaverDawg
10-08-2014, 08:15 PM
I'm not counting on Dakota or JRob back at this point. They are working their way up the draft

If we win the SEC and/or National Title....MAYBE. Otherwise, I think both will be back.

Coach34
10-08-2014, 08:15 PM
If JRob gets a mid-round grade- he gone

Coach34
10-08-2014, 08:16 PM
If we win the SEC and/or National Title....MAYBE. Otherwise, I think both will be back.

Why?

CadaverDawg
10-08-2014, 08:21 PM
Why?

Because Dak will remind NFL scouts of Tebow, and he is fairly short. Plus, I just don't think he is mechanically sound in the passing game enough to be an early rounder. He's a GREAT college QB, but he isn't pro ready IMO yet.

And JRob is like Doug Martin without the breakaway speed. Yes he's a beast to tackle, but RB's are a dime a dozen, and a 5'9 RB without breakaway speed isn't going to get drafted high enough to warrant coming out early in my opinion.

I may be wrong, but I don't think we have to worry about either of them getting a high enough draft grade to leave early. Again, just my feelings. I think they are both great college players, but if I'm being honest and removing my maroon glasses, I don't think either of them become NFL stars like McKinney can.

Coach34
10-08-2014, 08:27 PM
Because Dak will remind NFL scouts of Tebow, and he is fairly short. Plus, I just don't think he is mechanically sound in the passing game enough to be an early rounder. He's a GREAT college QB, but he isn't pro ready IMO yet.

And JRob is like Doug Martin without the breakaway speed. Yes he's a beast to tackle, but RB's are a dime a dozen, and a 5'9 RB without breakaway speed isn't going to get drafted high enough to warrant coming out early in my opinion.

I may be wrong, but I don't think we have to worry about either of them getting a high enough draft grade to leave early. Again, just my feelings. I think they are both great college players, but if I'm being honest and removing my maroon glasses, I don't think either of them become NFL stars like McKinney can.

For Robinson, it's not about being drafted early- it's about being drafted. If he gets a 3rd-5th round grade- he is going to leave school and begin getting paid. He wont even think about it

McShay has Dakota as a 3rd rounder right now. He also said he needs to probably return to school. I agree with that. But it's hard to tell a guy that he can be drafted in the 3rd round and sign a 4 yr contract that will pay him 3 million dollars over those 4 years to go back to class.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/5/18/5727546/nfl-rookie-contracts-signed-2014-draft

I'm just saying- dont count on anything at this point.