PDA

View Full Version : The SI Cover Jinx: Real or imagined?

Rick Cleveland
10-08-2014, 11:51 AM
http://msfame.com/uncategorized/sis-miss-mayhem-should-we-be-worried/

Political Hack
10-08-2014, 11:53 AM
I'll let you know Saturday night.

Bo Darville
10-08-2014, 12:19 PM
This is a conversation we should not even be having. To believe that the cover of a magazine someone how casts a spell on you or jinxes you is crazy. It's superstition or witchcraft. Like walking under a ladder, seeing a black cat, or breaking a mirror. Ridiculous and stupid. Ignorant.

AROB44
10-08-2014, 01:45 PM
Remember....Rick was once a sports writer for the Clarion Liar. Just saying......

Rick Cleveland
10-08-2014, 01:51 PM
In case you couldn't tell from reading the piece, I don't believe in it.

mstatefan91
10-08-2014, 01:52 PM
This is a conversation we should not even be having. To believe that the cover of a magazine someone how casts a spell on you or jinxes you is crazy. It's superstition or witchcraft. Like walking under a ladder, seeing a black cat, or breaking a mirror. Ridiculous and stupid. Ignorant.

Nobody legitimately takes it seriously (I hope).

Really Clark?
10-08-2014, 01:58 PM
Remember....Rick was once a sports writer for the Clarion Liar. Just saying......

Yeah but his article didn't even mention either one of the present day schools or give credence to a jinx. It's out there because it has been brought up for 50 years. I thought it was fine and liked the Jordan conclusion as well.

codeDawg
10-08-2014, 02:04 PM
The secret of the jinx is that to make the cover expectations have reached a level that are impossible to live up to. The cover is a place where good stories of people and teams that are defying odds showcased. Eventually, the odds catch up with most.

This MSU team is real. Dak is real. We have the best QB and possibly the best MLB in the country. Dak thrives on the pressure to overcome. He does not shrink from the spotlight. This moment is not too big for him. That's the stuff that National Championships are made of.

Percho
10-08-2014, 02:15 PM
Beside all that, this is the kind of a team that would break a jinx.

mstatefan91
10-08-2014, 02:20 PM
Let's put it in another light. Curses we have broken this season so far:

Beating ranked teams
Beating LSU
Winning in Baton Rouge

The SI cover jinx shouldn't be an issue at all

Bo Darville
10-08-2014, 08:52 PM
Nobody legitimately takes it seriously (I hope).

There are baseball players that won't step on the foul lines when going on or off field because of superstition.

I seen it dawg
10-08-2014, 09:16 PM
Only for pros. And really been replaced by the Madden jinx. Which is real.

Schultzy
10-08-2014, 09:22 PM
Only for those on the left hand side of the page. This is historically true if you research it.