PDA

View Full Version : Todd McShay article on Dak

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2014, 10:53 AM
I don't have an insider account, so I can't read the entire thing, but, if someone does have an insider account, I'd be curious to know what McShays says.

Here is the link: http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2015/story/_/id/11663435/why-mississippi-state-qb-dak-prescott-stock-rise-2015-nfl-draft?ex_cid=InsiderTwitter_McShay_PrescottStock

RossDawg82
10-08-2014, 11:06 AM
He said that with a couple more good games, Dak could possible get to be as good as Bo Wallace.

yankee39056
10-08-2014, 11:08 AM
The Mississippi State Bulldogs are one of the surprise teams of this young college football season, having gone from unranked in the preseason AP Top 25 to a tie for third in this week's poll on the strength of big early-season SEC wins over LSU and Texas A&M. Their biggest test yet comes this weekend at home against the No. 2 Auburn Tigers.

A big reason for their success is the play of junior quarterback Dak Prescott, who completed 70 percent of his passes in those two conference wins, with four touchdowns and no interceptions, and rushed for 182 yards and four more TDs. He has reminded some fans of former Auburn and current Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton (Gus Malzahn was asked to compare the two this week) for his size and dual-threat ability, and he's even coming up in Heisman discussions after the Bulldogs' hot start.

I'm not here to make the Newton comparison (for starters, Prescott is about five inches shorter and 10 pounds lighter than Cam, at 6-foot-1, 235 pounds) or make any Heisman picks, but I did study Prescott's tape this week with an eye toward his NFL potential. He still has a lot of room to improve as a passer, and I think he'd be best-served to go back to Starkville for his senior season so he can continue to develop his game, but what I saw when I studied him is a quarterback for whom the arrow is clearly pointing up.

Here's my scouting report on Prescott, and why I think he's a player on the rise.

Mental makeup (Grade: 2 on a scale of 1-5, with 1 being the best)

Prescott is a mentally and physically tough player who can bounce back from negative plays and shake off big hits. He benefits from a lot of predetermined and simplified reads as a result of the Bulldogs' zone-read-heavy offense, but he has improved his decision-making and is displaying faster eyes in the pocket. He isn't afraid to test man-to-man coverage and is confident with his reads, but he will be late on some throws.

Accuracy (Grade: 3)

Prescott has very good touch and placement on shorter throws (screens, swings, slants, shallow crossers), but he misses high on a lot of intermediate and vertical routes (particularly on deep balls, he drops his elbow, causing the ball to sail on him). The numbers backed this up when I charted his performance in the A&M game: He was 14 of 15 (93 percent) on throws within six yards of the line of scrimmage, and six of 11 (55 percent) on throws seven-plus yards beyond the line. But he does a solid job with timing and placement on back-shoulder throws, and the Mississippi State wide receivers often struggle to create separation from defensive backs, which makes his job tougher.

Release/arm strength (Grade: 3)

He is just average in this area, with some stiffness in his upper body and tendency to dip his elbow (as mentioned above), which leads to passes batted down at the line of scrimmage for the shorter-than-ideal pocket passer. If he can learn to tie his upper body with his lower body more consistently it will allow him to generate more power on his throws. He seems to do so most often on deep outs, and that's when he gets the most velocity on his throws.

Mobility (Grade: 2)

Bulldogs head coach Dan Mullen uses Prescott in a similar short-yardage and goal-line role to the one in which he used Tim Tebow when he coached him at Florida -- including a lot of quarterback draws and lead-draws. Prescott isn't as powerful as Tebow, but he does run with good pad level and shows very good vision, patience and instincts. As a scrambler, he lacks ideal initial burst and suddenness, but he's a smooth athlete with enough size and strength to break through some arm tackles and make throws with defenders hanging from his frame (not nearly as often as a guy like Ben Roethlisberger can, but still more than average). In the pocket, he consistently feels outside pressure and steps up without dropping his eyes, but he isn't as instinctive versus interior pressure -- and that's when his eyes start to drop and he panics.

Bottom line

We'll find out on Saturday afternoon what all of this means for Mississippi State as it takes on Auburn, and there's no question that Prescott should provide a significant challenge for the Tigers' defense with his dual running and passing ability. As for his prospect status, I'd feel comfortable giving him a midround grade (third-to-fourth-round range) based on what I've seen so far, as I think he could develop into a good backup or adequate starter at the NFL level. But I feel he has room to grow at the college level before making the leap to the pros. He'd be best-served to play another year in college so that he can develop more consistency on his intermediate and deep throws -- his biggest weakness as an NFL prospect right now.

But despite being shorter than ideal, he has the type of thick, sturdy frame that can last at the NFL level. Prescott also grades out high in terms of intangibles; he's a gamer and appears to have the "it" factor you look for in NFL quarterback prospects. The arrow is definitely pointing in the right direction for him, and Saturday's matchup against Auburn is another great opportunity for Prescott and his fast-rising Bulldogs.

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2014, 11:12 AM
Outstanding. Very good breakdown, and Dak is about what I thought he was. Rising fast, but still as refinement to make

gtowndawg
10-08-2014, 11:19 AM
I want Dak back next year for sure. Even though we lose seniors, I think we could be really good again next year.

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2014, 11:22 AM
I want Dak back next year for sure. Even though we lose seniors, I think we could be really good again next year.

If we can replace a few O-linemen, the offense should be even better next year. Dak will have more weapons with all the guys returning from this year and Gray, Thomas, Aeris Williams, Malike Dear, etc joining the fold

Political Hack
10-08-2014, 11:24 AM
you know what's scary?

he can get better.

Political Hack
10-08-2014, 11:27 AM

if JRob comes back it'll be a huge boost. offensively I think we'll miss him more than anyone else right now. I fully expect Dak to be back... and I fully expect BMac to be gone.

our OL should be fine inside. Robinson should get a medical at OT, which would help.

Defensively we're pretty deep and outside of P.Smith, I don't think any of our losses are irreplaceable.

sandwolf
10-08-2014, 11:41 AM
I thought Prescott was taller than 6'-1". He looks like he is at least as tall as Tebow in this picture, and Tebow measured 6'-3" at the combine.

stalkingpoon
10-08-2014, 11:48 AM
I was about to post the exact same thing sandwolf. No way he's only 6-1.

Political Hack
10-08-2014, 11:54 AM
he's closer to 6' than he is 6'2".

sandwolf
10-08-2014, 11:58 AM
I was about to post the exact same thing sandwolf. No way he's only 6-1.

Yea, I was thinking he was closer to 6'-4", and that picture seems to line up with that thinking.....I also saw a picture of Dak, Tebow, and Bear Wilson the other day and he looked like he was a little taller than Tebow, and Bear didn't just tower over them. Our roster lists him at 6'-2", but that doesn't look right to me.

BLITZII
10-08-2014, 11:59 AM
I think he is 6'3 or 6'4 and 240 to 250lbs..................but I have nothing but eye test to back up my claim.

I do won't teams to think he is smaller though.

HoopsDawg
10-08-2014, 12:08 PM
I think he is 6'3 or 6'4 and 240 to 250lbs..................but I have nothing but eye test to back up my claim.

I do won't teams to think he is smaller though.

If our roster lists him at 6'2, I guarantee you he isn't taller than that. I bet he comes in about 6'1 1/2.

HoopsDawg
10-08-2014, 12:10 PM
our OL should be fine inside. Robinson should get a medical at OT, which would help.

Defensively we're pretty deep and outside of P.Smith, I don't think any of our losses are irreplaceable.

Robinson's career is over....And we are losing a good bit defensively: BMac, P. Smith, PJ Jones, Eulls, Matt Wells (very under-rated), Hughes, Virges and Love.

MetEdDawg
10-08-2014, 12:19 PM
Robinson's career is over....And we are losing a good bit defensively: BMac, P. Smith, PJ Jones, Eulls, Matt Wells (very under-rated), Hughes, Virges and Love.

We will still be very good on defense. Richie Brown is ready. Not as good a B Mac but very solid. Brown and Jefferson can both play DE. We will lose a little with Preston leaving but both are extremely capable as we've seen. Cory Thomas and Grant Harris will eventually replace PJ, Eulls and Virges. They should both be solid. Zac Jack will replace Wells (who is underrated no question). Love I'm not concerned about because I think Cleveland could replace him right now.

We will have a few growing pains in terms of losing the talent, but how many of those guys I named are already getting a ton of snaps and making impacts? Only ones that aren't are Cory Thomas and Grant Harris and they are RS because of the number of bodies we have on the DL right now.

gtowndawg
10-08-2014, 12:20 PM
we also have guys on defense like the Brown brothers at linebacker, Cleveland in the backfield, Nelson Adams who is playing really well that will take many of those spots.

I'm definitely not saying we will be as good next year, but I think we could possibly challenge again (if Dak is back).

HoopsDawg
10-08-2014, 12:22 PM
we also have guys on defense like the Brown brothers at linebacker, Cleveland in the backfield, Nelson Adams who is playing really well that will take many of those spots.

I'm definitely not saying we will be as good next year, but I think we could possibly challenge again (if Dak is back).

There will be plenty of time to discuss all of that this offseason, but I'm not going to discount the contributions of the 8 players I mentioned who are getting significant minutes. I also didn't mention Turtle Holmes who is playing a lot this year and is a great locker room guy. New leaders will have to emerge.

Political Hack
10-08-2014, 12:24 PM

Wells is a huge loss for sure. forgot to mention him. we have great depth across the board though so I'm not worried about the other spots.

Dak is 6' guys. No ifs ands or buts... he's 6' tall.

662dawg
10-08-2014, 12:33 PM
I can assure you that Dak is at least 6'1 or more & in some of the pics with Tebow, he looks as y'all or taller than him too.

HoopsDawg
10-08-2014, 12:37 PM
I can assure you that Dak is at least 6'1 or more & in some of the pics with Tebow, he looks as y'all or taller than him too.

Yes, Dak is 6'1. He's taller than 6'. Not sure why Hack keeps saying that.

662dawg
10-08-2014, 12:42 PM
Yes, Dak is 6'1. He's taller than 6'. Not sure why Hack keeps saying that.

If I were to bet on it, I would bet at least 6'2, but I can't say that as a fact.

state66
10-08-2014, 01:01 PM
I am 6'0" and I have talked to dak in person several times and he is clearly taller than me.

Political Hack
10-08-2014, 01:20 PM
I am 6'0" and I have talked to dak in person several times and he is clearly taller than me.

I'm just under 6'2" and he's clearly shorter than me. If he's 6'1", he's BARELY there and I think he's closer to 6'.

starkvegasdawg
10-08-2014, 01:26 PM
Y'all sound like a bunch of women arguing over an extra inch and if it's there or not.

Political Hack
10-08-2014, 01:34 PM
Y'all sound like a bunch of women arguing over an extra inch and if it's there or not.

say something else and I'll make him 5'11".

Johnson85
10-08-2014, 01:42 PM
There will be plenty of time to discuss all of that this offseason, but I'm not going to discount the contributions of the 8 players I mentioned who are getting significant minutes. I also didn't mention Turtle Holmes who is playing a lot this year and is a great locker room guy. New leaders will have to emerge.

We're going to lose some playmaking ability from P. Smith and BMac that I'm not sure we can replace, and I'm not exactly sure about Safety, but I think we'll easily be as solid next year top to bottom on the one-deep, it's just a question of whether new guys will emerge that allow us to be truly two-deep in the front seven. Even if they do, we still won't be as good on D unless somebody becomes a playmaker like P. Smith and BMac. I think Chris Jones being on the interior will help a DE look good, and I think Richie is good enough that maybe B. Brown or somebody else can step up from the OLB spot to be a playmaker. All in all I think we will look just as good next year except when we play very good offenses where that extra advantage from a team having to game plan for somebody like P. Smith is missing.

starkvegasdawg
10-08-2014, 01:46 PM
say something else and I'll make him 5'11".

As long as he gets the job done...

LiterallyPolice
10-08-2014, 01:47 PM
I'm just under 6'2" and he's clearly shorter than me. If he's 6'1", he's BARELY there and I think he's closer to 6'.

Hack, we've been meaning to tell you something. Sit down.

You're actually 5'7" tall.

Irondawg
10-08-2014, 01:47 PM
Overall I think it's a pretty fair assesement of Dak and his passing game attributes.

thf24
10-08-2014, 01:53 PM

Then is Tim Tebow no more than 6'2" either? Not trying to be a smartass, but either they were on some seriously uneven ground in the photos of the two of them together, or there's a disconnect in the logic here.

Political Hack
10-08-2014, 02:00 PM
You can't judge that by a photo. Too many variables. Shoes? standing in grass versus on concrete? Is he slouching? Did Dak have 1" spikes on? Tebow is between 6'2 and 6'3", and probably closer to 6'3".

Dak is between 6' and 6'1"... he may be pushing just past 6'1". Although I'm now 5'7", so he may be 5'6".

Percho
10-08-2014, 02:10 PM
Just a question. Could Fran Tarkenton make a NFL roster today if he were 22 years of age?

Who gives a crap how tall Dak is?

hacker
10-08-2014, 11:49 PM
Overall I think it's a pretty fair assesement of Dak and his passing game attributes.

what are you talking about? this is a thread where a totally objective conversation about dak's height is unfolding**