PDA

View Full Version : Auburn

msstate7
10-08-2014, 10:37 AM
What worries you? For me:

1. Williams/Coates

2. Rushing defense. They're 3rd in the sec. I hope the reason theyre so high is that teams had to pass to catch up.

Political Hack
10-08-2014, 10:44 AM
agree with 1. I think we can run on anyone though.

2. they may be able to run on us with 6 in the box.

maroonmania
10-08-2014, 10:58 AM
The deep ball to Coates/Williams is my biggest concern. If Auburn has to work their way down the field we will be OK but don't want to give up the long passes. Actually wasn't too worried about that with Auburn until this past weekend where they burned LSU repeatedly with the long passes.

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2014, 11:05 AM
I think we can run anyone because we are so multiple in our run game. If you think about it, we didn't run that great against A&M between the tackles with our running backs. Much of their yardage came from getting around the end on Robinson's option play and Holloways stretch play. I think our run game is a pick your poison, type thing, and, if you do stop it, you've likely committed so many players to the effort, that it makes things wide open down field.

Coates and Duke are my biggest worries. However, A&M had enormous receivers as well, but we were able to hold them in check from getting over the top.

The biggest thing is to continue to get a pass rush, and take Marshall out of his comfort zone.

codeDawg
10-08-2014, 11:35 AM
Auburn gives teams the some of the same problems we do. Power running game, have to keep track of the QB, the deep ball is a threat, so everybody has to play solid, assignment football and win the one-on-one battles.

This is going to be an EPIC battle. So far on the season, we get .539 points / play and they get .574. We give up .233, and they .209. I'm hoping a lot of the minor difference here is more 1b garbage time from our team.

The BIGGEST difference is they are at 100% on RZ scoring and we are at 72.22%. We CANNOT miss FG's this week. We would be better off going for it on 4th and 5 than trying to kick at this point. We've all been saying that FG's are going to cost us, and this could be the week it does.

Fred Garvin
10-08-2014, 11:39 AM

1. Williams/Coates

2. Rushing defense. They're 3rd in the sec. I hope the reason theyre so high is that teams had to pass to catch up.

Are Auburn's receivers that much better the A&M's???

Johnson85
10-08-2014, 11:46 AM

1. Williams/Coates

Nick Marshall making people miss. I think we will contain their running game. I think we will be successful enough on offense that we can survive a few big plays by thier WRs. But we have to bring Marshall down when we have the chance.

Other than that, I think this game will come down to cliches: who avoids turnovers and limits mistakes.

msstate7
10-08-2014, 11:47 AM

Probably not, but we're gonna approach auburn different. We looked for pass first last week. We'll look for rush first and be more vulerable to the long pass IMO

tcdog70
10-08-2014, 11:47 AM
Nick and His 4.4 speed. And Duke Williams is a beast. We will have to continue to score 40 pts a game.

DancingRabbit
10-08-2014, 11:50 AM

Apparently AU's receivers drop a lot balls, just like aTm.

"For the season, the Aggies' drop rate is 8.4 percent (23 drops on 274 targets), which ranks 110th nationally"

"Auburn (8.1 percent, 108th) are also in the bottom 30 in the category."

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/90379/drops-plague-aggies-passing-game

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-08-2014, 11:56 AM
Giving up the deep ball, giving up too many YAC, Marshall gashing us. Their defense will be a good bit better than LSU's or A&M's. Our FG kicker missing a huge kick. Special team problems overall.

justwin
10-08-2014, 01:22 PM
the refs.

everyone needs to prepare themselves for 2-3 blatant calls that will go against MSU. This is Auburn.

TrapGame
10-08-2014, 01:42 PM
the refs.

everyone needs to prepare themselves for 2-3 blatant calls that will go against MSU. This is Auburn.

If they job us a chain length for a first down in this game the fans may storm the field for a different reason.

Johnson85
10-08-2014, 01:46 PM
Apparently AU's receivers drop a lot balls, just like aTm.

"For the season, the Aggies' drop rate is 8.4 percent (23 drops on 274 targets), which ranks 110th nationally"

"Auburn (8.1 percent, 108th) are also in the bottom 30 in the category."

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/90379/drops-plague-aggies-passing-game

That's good to know b/c the only reason KSU was able to keep it close was Auburn dropping some deep balls. I'm sure we're going to try to make Marshall beat us in the air, so if his receivers make it harder on them that will help us a lot.

codeDawg
10-08-2014, 02:08 PM
That's good to know b/c the only reason KSU was able to keep it close was Auburn dropping some deep balls. I'm sure we're going to try to make Marshall beat us in the air, so if his receivers make it harder on them that will help us a lot.

The bombs UAB hit on the 1b's were unreal. It's hard to make those throws with just a QB and receiver on the field, let alone a pass rush and corner coverage. We covered the bombs against A&M and Hill had to hit shorter targets. I expect more of the same Saturday.

CadaverDawg
10-08-2014, 02:25 PM
I went back and read through A&M's game thread, and you wouldn't believe how many times they said "MSU gave up 500 yards to UAB!" And similar things. I love when people stick to a stat even when it's being proven unreliable on the field right in front of their eyes.

In my opinion, Auburn has great receivers but they don't have nearly the passing QB in Marshall that A&M has in hill. That being said, if Malzahn has Marshall throwing it a lot, we are in great shape because either A) we are shutting down their run, or B) they are behind. I want Marshall throwing it, because if they're throwing it our defense is shutting down the best part of their team.

starkvegasdawg
10-08-2014, 02:27 PM
Auburn worries me because they are the most balanced team we have played. LSU was rush heavy and little to no passing threat. A&M was pass heavy with little to no rushing threat. Auburn is more of a rush threat than a run threat but they can pass when they have to. I think the key is to be to get pressure on Marshal but contained pressure. We can't just rush blindly and leave the middle of the field wide open.

However, the fact remains they had Marshall last year and we had them beat at their place until we went into the prevent. It also helps when you can complete a pass to yourself and all the other lucky breaks they get. Hopefully, we can get out to a big lead like we have almost every game this season and force them to being one dimensional.

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2014, 02:30 PM
We will have to continue to score 40 pts a game.

I don't agree with this. I think Auburn scores 27 on us.

Will we score more?

CadaverDawg
10-08-2014, 02:32 PM
I think at the end of the day, the biggest two worries about Auburn is their balance on offense, and their luck. Because even if you outplay them, they are the luckiest damn team on the planet, so you could still lose the game (as we've seen in recent years)

DancingRabbit
10-08-2014, 02:33 PM

I disagree. Biggest drop of that game was a KSU drop that was intercepted in the endzone. I re-watched that game a couple days ago.

I recall 2 AU drops and one of those wasn't really a drop as it was a slightly overthrown deep ball just off the finger tips. There was a terrible drop on a 15yd sideline toss. There were some other misses that were poorly thrown balls. I could have missed 1 or 2 drops as I quit watching attentively in the 4th qtr.

I thought KSU beat themselves to a large degree with the turnovers and missed field goals.

TrapGame
10-08-2014, 03:03 PM
K State had a very sound game plan but didn't quite have the horses to pull it off.

msstate7
10-08-2014, 03:12 PM
I think at the end of the day, the biggest two worries about Auburn is their balance on offense, and their luck. Because even if you outplay them, they are the luckiest damn team on the planet, so you could still lose the game (as we've seen in recent years)

Their luck can't last forever can it? I think their lucky streak started with us with that marshall to marshall pass. Hopefully it ends with us too