PDA

View Full Version : The 40th and 45th rated recruiting classes has 18 starters on the #3 team in America

MagnificentBastard
10-08-2014, 09:56 AM
2010 Ranked 40th by Scout

Dillon Day 2 Stars
Matthew Wells 3
Jay Hughes 3
Robert Johnson 3
Jamerson Love 2
Kaleb Eulls 4
Blaine Clausell 2
Malcolm Johnson 2
Jamerson Love 2
Ben Beckwith 0

2011 Ranked 45th by Scout

Tavese Calhoun 2
PJ Jones 3
Justin Malone 2
Preston Smith 2
Benardrick McKinney 2
Justin Cox 3
Dak Prescott 3
Josh Robinson 3

Stars don't matter as much if you do your homework, recruit character, redshirt and develop.

DudyDawg
10-08-2014, 10:00 AM
The fact that a 2 star is going to be a first round pick, and likely the first taken in his position, is incredible to me in terms of our coaching staff knowing who they can develop and doing it.

FlabLoser
10-08-2014, 10:02 AM
Somebody get this info to ESPN. I hope they talk about it on Gameday.

thf24
10-08-2014, 10:21 AM
The fact that a 2 star is going to be a first round pick, and likely the first taken in his position, is incredible to me in terms of our coaching staff knowing who they can develop and doing it.

They've done some great development jobs, no doubt, but guys like McKinney are more due to them putting in the effort and finding low-rated players who would be 4-5 stars if they played for a more visible team or weren't playing out of position. We're lucky to have a staff that's great on both the development and evaluation fronts; not something most seem to have.

DudyDawg
10-08-2014, 10:28 AM
They've done some great development jobs, no doubt, but guys like McKinney are more due to them putting in the effort and finding low-rated players who would be 4-5 stars if they played for a more visible team or weren't playing out of position. We're lucky to have a staff that's great on both the development and evaluation fronts; not something most seem to have.
Agreed. That's what I meant by knowing who you can develop into first round picks and stuff. They do the work to see who will be studs in two-three years, not just a handful of star guys that may be studs next year. I love our recruiting philosophy, and in a state like ms with so many athletes from rural places where info about them just doesn't get out, they've done a great job.

Irondawg
10-08-2014, 10:42 AM
This goes back to what I'm started to adapt as absolute philosophy. If you have a special QB you will always be decent. Surround them with a decent O-line, D-line and you'll be good. Add just a sprinkle of playmakers and you'll be special.

The only way to surive not being good at QB is to be above average virtually everywhere else and that's hard to to. LSU stinks b/c they can't stop the run (DL issue) and their QB play is very spotty for example. On the flip side KY found a QB to go along with some recruiting improvements and look at them.

For both us and OM if we immeidately went to our 2nd string QB think of how it would impact everything compared to losing any other player on the field.

That's why I'm so excited about Mullen's recent upswing in QB recruiting.

Political Hack
10-08-2014, 10:50 AM
our starting OL is 9 stars... combined.

thunderclap
10-08-2014, 10:59 AM
The thing is, we keep finding these guys, and now are adding higher level/immediate impact guys to go with them, and bam.

ShotgunDawg
10-08-2014, 11:01 AM
Here what they've should have been ranked

Dillon Day 2 Stars - High 3 star or low 4 star
Matthew Wells 3 - 4 Star
Jay Hughes 3 - 3 star
Robert Johnson 3 - 3 star
Jamerson Love 2 - 3 star
Kaleb Eulls 4 - Low 4 high 3
Blaine Clausell 2 - High 3, low 4
Malcolm Johnson 2 - High 3, low 4
Jamerson Love 2 - 3 star
Ben Beckwith 0 - High 3, low 4

Tavese Calhoun 2 - 4 star
PJ Jones 3 - 4 star
Justin Malone 2 - 4 star
Preston Smith 2 - 4 star
Benardrick McKinney 2 - 5 star
Justin Cox 3 - 4 star
Dak Prescott 3 - 5 star
Josh Robinson 3 - High 4 star, possible low 5 star

TrapGame
10-08-2014, 11:04 AM
Mullen has The Formula.

FlabLoser
10-08-2014, 11:14 AM
Mullen has The Formula.

He did say back around 2011 or so that "we have our own star system".

It is uncanny how much credibility is assigned to recruiting websites. The general public wants to assume that the Paul Jones of the world (I used Paul here because he's a nice, honest guy that everybody likes) knows more about player evaluations than your Dan Mullen and Nick Saban type guys.

But, but, Ole Miss had the 6th ranked class!!!! According to who, a bunch of website authors who are not college football coaches? Yeah, let's get emotionally invested into those opinions**

Johnson85
10-08-2014, 11:43 AM

It is uncanny how much credibility is assigned to recruiting websites. The general public wants to assume that the Paul Jones of the world (I used Paul here because he's a nice, honest guy that everybody likes) knows more about player evaluations than your Dan Mullen and Nick Saban type guys.

But, but, Ole Miss had the 6th ranked class!!!! According to who, a bunch of website authors who are not college football coaches? Yeah, let's get emotionally invested into those opinions**

Are people really assuming that people like Paul Jones know anything? I thought the stars usually came after offers. Pretty easy to know which players are getting buzz as sophomores and rank them early and rank them high. Then just see who is generating interest and adjust their stars accordingly. Coach staff's like Alabama's are (rightfully) focused on signing the easy to find, high profile players. Staff's like MSU's have been (rightfully) focused on recruiting teh easy to find, high profile players when we have a tie but otherwise working to make sure they find players they can develop. If somebody we offer starts to get a lot of other offers, they shoot up the rankings. Basiclly no evaluation required other than figuring out who really has offers from which schools, and whether those offers are committable.

HoopsDawg
10-08-2014, 12:15 PM
2010 Ranked 40th by Scout

Dillon Day 2 Stars
Matthew Wells 3
Jay Hughes 3
Robert Johnson 3
Jamerson Love 2
Kaleb Eulls 4
Blaine Clausell 2
Malcolm Johnson 2
Jamerson Love 2
Ben Beckwith 0

Tavese Calhoun 2
PJ Jones 3
Justin Malone 2
Preston Smith 2
Benardrick McKinney 2
Justin Cox 3
Dak Prescott 3
Josh Robinson 3

Stars don't matter as much if you do your homework, recruit character, redshirt and develop.

You listed Jamerson Love twice, but I think you meant Jameon Lewis. And Matt Wells was a 4 star. Also Justin Cox was a 4 star out of Juco with a Bama offer.

SheltonChoked
10-08-2014, 12:19 PM
It boils down to this. The time has past when the Jerry Rice's, Walter Peyton's, Jackie Slater's, etc. of Mississippi high schools are slipping through the cracks. Our staff knows talent, and can identify, project, and sell the talent especially if it is playing out of position.

We have seen this in the past few years with our class rating increasing.

I firmly believe Chris Jones would have been a 2 star recruit for us 4 years ago. No way a national guy would have evaluated him and rank him where they did, if not for John Banks, KJ Wright, etc. that were evaluated and developed at MSU.

HoopsDawg
10-08-2014, 12:24 PM
I firmly believe Chris Jones would have been a 2 star recruit for us 4 years ago. No way a national guy would have evaluated him and rank him where they did, if not for John Banks, KJ Wright, etc. that were evaluated and developed at MSU.

No offense, but that's silly. Our staff was early to table with C. Jones, but one look at his video is all you had to see to realize he was a 5 star talent. And guys like Austin Davis still slip through the cracks.

SheltonChoked
10-08-2014, 07:42 PM
None taken. But it still took him blowing up at the infrint of national scouts to get his stars.

CadaverDawg
10-08-2014, 07:47 PM

Oh, Todd McShay said earlier that Ole miss has more staying power because of their recruiting rankings since Freeze arrived. Yes, a NFL talent expert rates our 2 star MLB as the best in the draft, and then turns around and says OM has more staying power because of their recruiting rankings. It blows my mind. Even when starz are being proven wrong right in front of their eyes, they still can't see it.