PDA

View Full Version : Factoids about attendance for the Auburn game

elitedawgs
10-08-2014, 09:15 AM
The Auburn - Mississippi State game will have the largest attendance for ANY football game EVER in Mississippi, over 63,000

Over 63K will pack Davis Wade Stadium, which ranks as the 3rd largest city in MS. Jackson 175K, Gulfport 70K.

Starkville will become the second largest city in Mississippi on Saturday with @CollegeGameDay in town

Okrastar1
10-08-2014, 09:22 AM
There will be so many people there and so many cowbells, I can't imagine if this game is that much louder than the '10 Arky game how we will be able to hear for the next week! That was physically and audibly the loudest game I've ever been to... Scary to think what this game has in store!

BrunswickDawg
10-08-2014, 09:31 AM
I am so stoked right now, and luckily so far the week is flying by. My last on-campus game was 1998 Arkansas, so I can't wait to lose my hearing Saturday!

sandwolf
10-08-2014, 09:35 AM
My last on-campus game was 1998 Arkansas

Wow....you are in for a treat, my friend.

Westdawg
10-08-2014, 09:49 AM
Brunswick, you will not believe how much has changed, not only the stadium, but also the entire campus. I still remember having to wait on the lights at Malfunction Junction, and now i will be throwing a tent in there this week! I had only been to two games in the last 7 years prior to this season because of my coaching obligations in other states. i was astounded at how different things are now from when i was on campus as a student. these kids on campus today have no friggin idea how lucky they are to be in at this time of the program history.

AFDawg
10-08-2014, 09:49 AM
The Auburn - Mississippi State game will have the largest attendance for ANY football game EVER in Mississippi, over 63,000

That may or may not be the case. We'd need to top 64K to beat the 81 Egg Bowl or 84 Valley-Alcorn game. From http://www.mssportsmagazine.com/msm-features/a-history-of-mississippi-veterans-memorial-stadium:

The 1981 USM-MSU matchup: Southern clinches a narrow 7-6 victory before a crowd reported at 64,112 ? a figure some claim set the stadium's all-time attendance record. The game would be the first in a series of eight consecutive meetings between the two schools in Jackson.
The 1984 Mississippi Valley - Alcorn State game: At that point in the season both teams were undefeated. The Totten-Rice combination, along with heavy media coverage surrounding the game, results in a capacity crowd at the stadium above 64,000. (Discrepancies in the attendance figures exist, but many claim the crowd was larger than that of the 81 USM-MSU game).

elitedawgs
10-08-2014, 09:50 AM
That may or may not be the case. We'd need to top 64K to beat the 81 Egg Bowl or 84 Valley-Alcorn game. From http://www.mssportsmagazine.com/msm-features/a-history-of-mississippi-veterans-memorial-stadium:

We are hearing they are expecting nearly 65K total.

BulldogBear
10-08-2014, 09:52 AM
I am so stoked right now, and luckily so far the week is flying by. My last on-campus game was 1998 Arkansas, so I can't wait to lose my hearing Saturday!

I'm so glad you're gonna make it

BrunswickDawg
10-08-2014, 09:55 AM
Wow....you are in for a treat, my friend.

Brunswick, you will not believe how much has changed, not only the stadium, but also the entire campus. I still remember having to wait on the lights at Malfunction Junction, and now i will be throwing a tent in there this week! I had only been to two games in the last 7 years prior to this season because of my coaching obligations in other states. i was astounded at how different things are now from when i was on campus as a student. these kids on campus today have no friggin idea how lucky they are to be in at this time of the program history.

I have been on campus a handful of times, just not for a FB game. Last time was SBW '09. The changes then were stunning, I can only imagine what 5 years has done.

gtowndawg
10-08-2014, 10:06 AM

He mentioned something about a national reporter saying something in the pressbox about "I'm sorry Starkville and Mississippi State, I'm really, really sorry." Alluding to someone that's believed all the stuff they've heard about State and Starkville but couldn't believe how wrong they were.

That's exactly what national exposure brings. It let's people see the real MSU and Starkville, not the junk they've been fed for 30 years.

sandwolf
10-08-2014, 10:28 AM
I have been on campus a handful of times, just not for a FB game. Last time was SBW '09. The changes then were stunning, I can only imagine what 5 years has done.

The changes to the game day experience/atmosphere is even more stunning than the changes in appearance, in my opinion. It really is something to be proud of now.

BrunswickDawg
10-08-2014, 10:37 AM
He mentioned something about a national reporter saying something in the pressbox about "I'm sorry Starkville and Mississippi State, I'm really, really sorry." Alluding to someone that's believed all the stuff they've heard about State and Starkville but couldn't believe how wrong they were.

That's exactly what national exposure brings. It let's people see the real MSU and Starkville, not the junk they've been fed for 30 years.

I've always chalked that up to people who a) hadn't really been to Starkville; or b) hadn't been prior to about 1985. The reason I say that is because even when I was in school in the early 1990s people who came could see it. I had a lot of friends and family from other SEC schools come and visit over the years and to a person they all loved it - and would actually rave about it to others when others started banging on us. In 1996, I was working transportation at the Olympics and got assigned to a media bus stop. Chris Fowler happened to walk up to wait on the bus, and we struck up a conversation since we were the only ones there. When it came to MSU - he raved about Starkville, how much he enjoyed the scene, the food, and the people. And it wasn't fluff - it was specific names of restaurants, places they stayed, where they went, etc. The quote that always stuck out was "best kept secret in the southeast".

So Saturday, hopefully everyone starts raving about the scene, and Fowler just says "I've been telling you guys for years...." That would rock.