PDA

View Full Version : One thing from A&M game

TXDawg
10-07-2014, 08:19 PM
In watching the replay, I noticed that on both Robinson's and Hooloway's big runs down the left sideline, they were carrying the ball in their right hand (inside hand rather than outside hand). It didn't make a difference on either play, but shouldn't they be switching to their outside hand to better protect the ball and be ready for a potential stiff-arm (like Dak did in the LSU game)?

I know I'm nitpicking, but I still like to see the fundamentals.

maroonmania
10-07-2014, 08:23 PM
Interesting, when Shumpert fumbled earlier this year I noticed he had the ball in the wrong hand.

War Machine Dawg
10-07-2014, 08:26 PM
It depends. The en vogue thing now is switching hands with the ball. But some guys carry the ball in their dominant hand all the time and are just fine. Pretty sure Emmitt Smith was one of them. I don't particularly have a problem with it. Whatever the player is comfortable with and makes the ball harder to strip. For some guys, that may mean changing hands. For others, keeping the ball in their dominant hand.

TXDawg
10-07-2014, 08:28 PM
I would've loved to see Robinson stiff-arm that defender, though. Yes, the duck-under was awesome, but a stiff-arm would've been even sweeter.

Political Hack
10-07-2014, 08:46 PM
JROb's arms are too short to stiff arm defenders consistently. He's like emit smith in terms of being better with just carrying it in the hand he's comfortable with. Holloway needs to learn to so witch hands.

Dak face planting the safety from LSU is a Heisman moment that doesn't happen if he doesn't switch hands.

ShotgunDawg
10-07-2014, 08:49 PM
J Rob looks like Michael Turner.

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/1113/nfl_g_mturner1_400.jpg

archdog
10-07-2014, 09:16 PM
I am watching the game and Holloway carried the ball on the previous play with the away arm. But on the long run all he saw was daylight so there was no need.

TXDawg
10-07-2014, 09:29 PM
It's only the third quarter on the replay, but JRob has only carried with his left hand once and that's where it started from the handoff. It may just be that he doesn't like switching.

As long as he keeps pounding out the big runs and protecting the ball, I couldn't care less.

whosyourdawgy
10-07-2014, 09:34 PM
Perk never switched hands either. Cost him a fumble or two. Shump doesn't. Wonder if our coaches even teach this

Dallas_Dawg
10-07-2014, 10:42 PM
J Rob looks like Michael Turner.

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/1113/nfl_g_mturner1_400.jpg

Exactly! I've been saying this for a while. Shades of Maurice Jones Drew as well

aerodawg
10-08-2014, 01:21 AM
Perk never switched hands either. Cost him a fumble or two. Shump doesn't. Wonder if our coaches even teach this

It's not a cut and dry thing like the announcers make it out to be anytime a ball is stripped when a guy is near the sideline but has the ball in the inside hand. Some people can hold it in either arm with great security. Some don't feel comfortable with it in their off hand.
Common sense would say that holding the ball in the outside arm makes it less likely to be hit by a defender, but the trade-off comes in when you consider how much more likely you are to lose the ball when it is hit.

Coackjek
10-08-2014, 01:29 AM
Most defenders when trying to strip from behind usually poke from under on the outside arm. (Richie's first pick) Carrying in the non dominant arm would be less secure IMO. If all you have is open field I say keep in dominant hand. I seem to remember seeing a lot of fumbles growing up when the ball switched hands. All in all he does a great job of covering the ball when he anticipates contact.

Reason2succeed
10-08-2014, 08:25 AM
A lot of fumbles happen while guys are in the process of switching hands. I seem to remember a fumble like that in one of our games where our guy is in the middle of a pile and tried to with hands and humbled. It may have been Dak at LSU.

UMCDawg16
10-08-2014, 08:39 AM
In watching the replay, I noticed that on both Robinson's and Hooloway's big runs down the left sideline, they were carrying the ball in their right hand (inside hand rather than outside hand). It didn't make a difference on either play, but shouldn't they be switching to their outside hand to better protect the ball and be ready for a potential stiff-arm (like Dak did in the LSU game)?

I know I'm nitpicking, but I still like to see the fundamentals.

You're right, that's very nitpicky. VERY