PDA

View Full Version : If we can simply stop Marshall from kiling us running, do we win?

cheewgumm
10-07-2014, 11:14 AM
I think so.

i'm thinking we are going to win easier than people think.

RossDawg82
10-07-2014, 11:16 AM
if we have a convincing win, do we move to #1 in the polls?

whosyourdawgy
10-07-2014, 11:23 AM
No. We stopped their run game last year and he threw for over 300 yds on us.

I seen it dawg
10-07-2014, 11:24 AM
This ain't last year. It is 2 totally different planets. Can't compare it.

I seen it dawg
10-07-2014, 11:25 AM
And yes we will win. We are going to rip them a new asshole.

HoopsDawg
10-07-2014, 11:27 AM
If I've heard Trent Dilfer say it once, I've heard it 100 times, you can't play man to man D against a running QB. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems we have played a lot of man to man this year so hopefully Collins goes with the zone and we keep Duke and Coates in front of us and keep an eye on Marshall. The Ends have to keep containment.

Dawgheadcheese
Nobody is going to kill us running - nobody. If he throws up 250 yards, so be it. I think we win this one by 10+.

MetEdDawg
Got to stop their WR's. Our front will stop the run game. But their WR's make a lot of plays because they are just bigger and more physical than the CBs they go up against. We've got to make them pay for the catches they make and get as physical with them as possible.

HoopsDawg
10-07-2014, 11:28 AM
No. We stopped their run game last year and he threw for over 300 yds on us.

True, but Cox fell down on one play. It was one of his first games at corner in his life. And Redmond was suspended so we had to go with Jiles.

I seen it dawg
10-07-2014, 11:29 AM
Rip a new asshole.

cheewgumm
10-07-2014, 11:31 AM
Last year we should have won, and Cox struggled being thrown in at CB. I think we are much improved and at home. I don't knmow. I'm thinking we are going to win convingingly, but I'm a homer too.

TrapGame
10-07-2014, 11:34 AM
Hill was like 32 of 67(!) for about 300 yards and we were still kicking their asses in the 4th.

Ol' Gus knows he's got to throw on us to win. Their ground game will not be enough. Sure, he'll run it every now and then but I expect Marshall to come out gunning for Duke and Coates right out of the gate. Gus will go for the HR play every other down.

I seen it dawg
10-07-2014, 11:34 AM
Rip a new asshole.

msstate7
10-07-2014, 11:38 AM
Hill was like 32 of 67(!) for about 300 yards and we were still kicking their asses in the 4th.

Ol' Gus knows he's got to throw on us to win. Their ground game will not be enough. Sure, he'll run it every now and then but I expect Marshall to come out gunning for Duke and Coates right out of the gate. Gus will go for the HR play every other down.

I agree. I expect their first drive to be over very quickly ending 7-0 or a 3 and out

CadaverDawg
10-07-2014, 11:39 AM
We have excellent run stopping safeties, and I look for Market and Evans to make a lot of plays in space. Of course, that leaves two of our worst pass covering safeties in the game, so we will need Redmond and Calhoun to play really well against Coates and Duke.

I agree with the above poster, Gus is going to come out throwing on play action to try and loosen us up, because he knows we will be focused on the run game. Maybe if we're opportunistic, we can get an early pick. Gus doesn't like putting it in the air early, but he knows he has to Saturday, so we need to take advantage

thf24
10-07-2014, 11:48 AM
I was a little concerned with how much ground Kenny Hill picked up when we let him get free. Though I suppose it'll be different this week since we're expecting Marshall to run.

Coach 57
10-07-2014, 11:55 AM
You CAN play man-to-man Vs a running QB if (big IF) you have LBs that stay on their keys, DEs that hold outside contain & slow play the edge in passing scenarios & DTs that control gap assignments. If one of those facets break down it puts pressure on the other facets. You can't live by it the whole game but a good DC (like Collins) can feel when he needs to get out of it or get back in it.

Dallas_Dawg
10-07-2014, 12:02 PM
I want Auburn's heads on a damn platter. We owe those cheating sons of bitches and I hope we run the damn score up. This is the game I've been looking forward to all offseason

codeDawg
10-07-2014, 12:03 PM
if we have a convincing win, do we move to #1 in the polls?

It won't have to be convincing. The poll points that separate Auburn from FSU are minuscule. We'll get a lot of Auburns points plus some of FSU's with the GameDay and CBS hype. The only thing to worry about is UM winning and somehow picking up more points than us, but that's not logical with us beating the #2 team.

WinningIsRelentless
10-07-2014, 12:15 PM
The key is going to be hitting Marshall hard every single time he runs it. You do that enough he won't be so quick to run and that will allow our ends and dts to handle him alone.

TrapGame
10-07-2014, 01:26 PM
I agree. I expect their first drive to be over very quickly ending 7-0 or a 3 and out

I'd love for Love to come up big in that first AU drive and snatch a deep one and run it back thirty or forty yards. That would really tap down Gus' aggressiveness and also put something in Marshall's head to think about.

cbrunt29
10-07-2014, 01:41 PM
Is it only Tuesday? This is going to be the longest 4 days ever.

Reason2succeed
10-07-2014, 02:23 PM
The STOMP A$$! Equation

Dillon Day + Ben Beckwith x (JRob + Dak Running) = A Mississippi Mudhole in Auburn's Arse for all their bull$hit

BulldogBear
10-07-2014, 02:59 PM
I think they have to physically whip us to win. It's hard for me to see that. Therefore it's hard for me to see us losing unless we turn the ball over a lot.

monroedawg5646
10-07-2014, 03:47 PM
I don't see anyone being more physical than us all year. I feel like they will need 40 points to beat us because I have little to no doubt we will score that many. Honestly I feel like it will be another beat down for the good guys

Coach34
10-07-2014, 03:58 PM
People seem to forget this about Marshall's passing day last year-

1. We were 3 guys in the Secondary starting their 1st SEC game
2. JLove got hurt and Jiles had to step in- making us even younger
3. 50 yards of his passing was when he threw the ball- it bounced off the defender back into Marshall's arms- and he took off running on a play you will never see again in your life.
4. Will Redmond was on Bracky suspension

This wont be the same Secondary for Marshall to face

cheewgumm
10-07-2014, 04:07 PM
I can't wait until we beat them to crush the arrogance of the Auburn fans.

TrapGame
10-07-2014, 04:28 PM
Wiener was just giving our D major props for virtually shutting down the #1 offense in the country - A&M. This was in response to people complaining about our pass defense before the game.

BeardoMSU
10-07-2014, 04:36 PM
Call me crazy, but I don't this game will be in doubt. I see our physical domination continuing, on both sides of the ball.

Dawgcentral
10-07-2014, 05:36 PM
I'll take any margin of victory, but I'd really like to see us dominate the lines and get some turnovers.

I know the team is confident, and I feel like Mullen and Collins will be up to the challenge the opposing coaching staff. But this game does something that the aTm game couldn't. A dominating win over the #2 team in the nation with a balanced offense shows the world that we're more than a threat to win it all. We could become a favorite to win it all.

I do like CDM's position thus far. We're only 2-0 in the SEC. That was never our goal. We need to make a statement every week. Dominate every play. Every time we give up yards it becomes the past, the next play is what's important. Combine attitude with a great game plan and you win games.

Political Hack
10-07-2014, 05:59 PM
If I've heard Trent Dilfer say it once, I've heard it 100 times, you can't play man to man D against a running QB. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems we have played a lot of man to man this year so hopefully Collins goes with the zone and we keep Duke and Coates in front of us and keep an eye on Marshall. The Ends have to keep containment.

you can play man up on the outside without playing a straight man. Depends on how many you can drop. If we have to commit 7 to the run, and play zone with our eyes in the backfield, it makes them very VERY hard to defend. That's why I keep saying this will be our toughest matchup defensively.

If... and it's a big IF, Wells can spy Marshall effectively on key downs, we'll roll them. if not, we have to try to slow them down.

at least that's how I'd prefer to defend them.