PDA

View Full Version : Could have been mentioned, but it appears that Mullen having sole control...

RougeDawg
10-07-2014, 10:00 AM
Over the offense and play calling seems to be translating into a more potent offense. Play calling was Dan's bread and butter at UF, but he has always had an OC prior to this year. We have had many discussions over who was calling the plays and running the offense, but it was obvious that we had some internal struggles on offensive play calling prior to this season, when there were "Too many Chiefs" on O! Now we have one Offensice Chief and our offense seems to be in a great rhythm. The offense reminds me of those Florida ones that would eat defenses alive. This may have been discussed and I missed it, but the one real difference this year from the past few, is our offense looks decisive and organized. It may be attributed to ha being only one style of QB, but I contribute the majority to Dan calling the plays without anyone else there to contradict or disagree.

LiterallyPolice
10-07-2014, 10:10 AM
I'm going to echo a point someone else made: Mullen may have needed Les in his first few years. I would imagine that managing a game is quite hectic, and it is very possible that Mullen didn't want to take on too much as a new head coach. Whatever the case, it appears he's doing a great job now managing the game and calling the plays.

MetEdDawg
10-07-2014, 10:11 AM
Any takers on us not scoring at least 30 points in every game we play this year?

I know we've got @Bama and @OM still on the schedule, but Mullen just seems on a roll. No one else in his way, no one to check plays through. It's his ship and he's driving it 100%. Now having Dak helps, but the overall gameplan as a whole just seems to be very well executed and thought out right now. This is going to be a tough offense to stop because there really isn't a way we can't beat you. We've got the weapons to do it all right now and so far we have.

MSUDawg4Life
10-07-2014, 10:17 AM
I'm thinking the experience of our players plays a role also.

ScottH
10-07-2014, 10:24 AM
We were talking about this yesterday.

Three reasons:
1. All Mullen on plays. Plus he has his UF like thinking sounding board with him - Hevesy and Gonzales.
2. We actually have players.
3. We finally have a QB.

War Machine Dawg
10-07-2014, 10:50 AM
I've been saying for the last two seasons Mullen needed to call plays. While I think LP makes a good point about Dan maybe not wanting to take on too much immediately by having to call plays and manage the game, some guys just have a natural talent for play-calling. Les wasn't one of them. He was very good at other things, but not that. Dan, on the other hand, is a natural play-caller. We've seen it time and again, both at FL and here.

It also helps that we finally have nothing but true dual threat QBs on the roster and a deep group of WRs. We almost literally didn't have enough warm bodies at WR to practice when Mullen first arrived, much less talented WRs. Now we've got the deepest group of WRs we've ever had at MSU.

Percho
10-07-2014, 11:00 AM
Have ya'll noticed how few TO's we have been forced to take this year on offense, not sure I can remember any.

FlabLoser
10-07-2014, 11:06 AM
Have ya'll noticed how few TO's we have been forced to take this year on offense, not sure I can remember any.

Last time we talked about that topic, we had a QB (Wes Carroll) that needed just one more pass attempt to set a record for most passes without an INT. His first pass in the next game was an INT.

I seen it dawg
10-07-2014, 11:33 AM

Why don't we just talk about a no-hitter in the dugout during a game?

I seen it dawg
10-07-2014, 11:33 AM

Why don't we just talk about a no-hitter in the dugout during a game?

LiterallyPolice
10-07-2014, 11:34 AM
Last time we talked about that topic, we had a QB (Wes Carroll) that needed just one more pass attempt to set a record for most passes without an INT. His first pass in the next game was an INT.

I think he meant TO = Timeout, rather than TO = Turnover. Or maybe I am misunderstanding the whole exchange.

I seen it dawg
10-07-2014, 11:35 AM
Ahhhhh yes timeouts...so sorry

Percho
10-07-2014, 11:44 AM
Yes timeouts, our offense is so much smoother. Plays getting to the QB so much quicker.

Johnson85
10-07-2014, 11:51 AM
Any takers on us not scoring at least 30 points in every game we play this year?

That might be a tall order. I know we're scoring pretty easily right now, but I don't think A&M or LSU have a particularly strong defense. I would guess we will have one game where some breaks don't go our way, the opposing offense manages to burn some clock, and we come in around the 24 to 28 pt range. I would guess it would be Auburn, Bama, or UM, but it could also happen against Arkansas.

Bullmutt
10-07-2014, 01:39 PM
Don't really need to take many timeouts when you get up big from the start. Just sayin'.

Todd4State
10-07-2014, 01:58 PM
The truth is Rockey is calling all the plays.**

Todd4State
10-07-2014, 01:59 PM
I've been saying for the last two seasons Mullen needed to call plays. While I think LP makes a good point about Dan maybe not wanting to take on too much immediately by having to call plays and manage the game, some guys just have a natural talent for play-calling. Les wasn't one of them. He was very good at other things, but not that. Dan, on the other hand, is a natural play-caller. We've seen it time and again, both at FL and here.

It also helps that we finally have nothing but true dual threat QBs on the roster and a deep group of WRs. We almost literally didn't have enough warm bodies at WR to practice when Mullen first arrived, much less talented WRs. Now we've got the deepest group of WRs we've ever had at MSU.

Les playcalling = 10 yard curl routes and inside zone with Perkins over and over.

drunkernhelldawg
10-07-2014, 04:25 PM
Yep. I was definitely wrong about this. He coaches better when he's in control of the offense. His great feel for the flow of a game is paying big dividends this season. If he'd address the kicking game, I'd get close to calling him perfect.

Dawgcentral
10-07-2014, 06:05 PM
I think there are two main ingredients in the improved play calling, and it started during bowl preparation last year.

The game plan no longer centered around Russell's talent and ability. The plan was all about Dak and his talents. Those talents are right up Dan's alley. I believe he made the calls almost exclusively against Rice. I think this could have been the decisive factor in making CDM solely in charge of play calling and bringing in a QB coach.

Just an opinion.