PDA

View Full Version : Watching the AU-KSU game..

Miss. Stake
10-07-2014, 09:39 AM
To slow down their offense, the key seems to be stopping them on 1st down. If you can hold them to 2 yards or less on first down, it's much harder for them to get a first down. I know this seems obvious and applies to most teams, but if they get 4 or more yards on first down, it is extremely hard to stop Malzhan's dynamic play calling.

Percho
10-07-2014, 09:52 AM
That is the reason the bubble screen needs to be shut down. All it is designed for is to p/u 4 to 7 yards just like a good running play. After the first series when we put a defender up and stopped the b/s A&M was toast.

THE Bruce Dickinson
10-07-2014, 09:53 AM
You are right. Ole Miss is the same way. Their offense relies heavily on picking up a quick first down, and keeping the defense on their heals the rest of the drive. By moving very quickly, they don't allow the defense to substitute as they normally would, and the the lineman get tired quickly. Shut them down on 1st down and it totally disrupts the offense.

msstate7
10-07-2014, 09:56 AM
That is the reason the bubble screen needs to be shut down. All it is designed for is to p/u 4 to 7 yards just like a good running play. After the first series when we put a defender up and stopped the b/s A&M was toast.

We may be the best I've seen at stoping bubble screens. Our db's are excellent tacklers. This must continue this week

codeDawg
10-07-2014, 10:00 AM
We may be the best I've seen at stoping bubble screens. Our db's are excellent tacklers. This must continue this week

I can't complement Redmond enough on his tackling on these screen passes. He has been lights out.

MetEdDawg
10-07-2014, 10:04 AM

I said the same thing to one of my buddies during the TAMU game. We used to be terrible at defending that but now I'm not sure there is a better team in the conference defending those right now. There are tons of examples where we have sucked at that over the years but one thing is for sure. We've now got CBs that love to tackle and get physical with WRs.

That's going to be key this weekend because Auburn has big physical WRs. That's my important matchup to watch for the Auburn game. Our CBs against Auburn's big WR's like Coates and Duke Williams. I think we will win a lot up front, so if we can win the WR/CB matchup on defense, I think we win the game.

Hypnodawg
10-07-2014, 10:05 AM
aTm's game plan on at least one drive was to exploit the deep pass against Redmond. I know the board is high on him, but aTm seemed to think he was the week link.

Homedawg
10-07-2014, 10:42 AM
aTm's game plan on at least one drive was to exploit the deep pass against Redmond. I know the board is high on him, but aTm seemed to think he was the week link.

I think they saw he was in man without any help over the top. If they've watched a lick of film then they know he isn't oir weak link. Best cover guy we have and it's not close.

Percho
10-07-2014, 10:48 AM
The only remedy to being over aggressive on bubble screens is to fake that and go deep. when they are in bubble screen formation the d line needs to be ultra aggressive to take away the deep ball.

Johnson85
10-07-2014, 12:05 PM
I can't complement Redmond enough on his tackling on these screen passes. He has been lights out.

Calhoun is very strong on them too. I think other teams are figuring out if they want to attack him they have to go deep. Fighting through a blocker to stop the bubble screen plays to his strengths.