PDA

View Full Version : After reading AU's boards, I realized why I love this one

BulldogDX55
10-06-2014, 11:10 PM
In one word, analysis.

I must have clicked on 20+ AU vs. MSU threads across three different boards (would have been 4, but one had a worse format than original SPS and no one has time for that) and something stuck out to me about every single one of them: an almost complete and total lack of actual game analysis. Virtually every single one of them was full of the following:

1. They're just MSU!
2. 20+ point victory because they are MSU!
3. LOL! MOO U! MRS. STATE! MISS STAKE! HAHAHA (this is a major pet peeve of mine. Outside of some use of TSUN, we generally respect our opponents enough to use their actual name)
4. Clearly we are better at every single position because we're Auburn!
5. We beat them in a high ranking game in the 80s so this one ends the same
6. I sure do hate cowbells, so we should bring air horns!
7. 34 points to UAB! CAKEWALK!

And so on and so forth. Something that makes this the best board I post on for State stuff (and I have accounts on four of them) is that people here actually attempt to break down upcoming games, position group by position group, and make educated guesses. People here actually look at more than just the box score when making a prediction, and many people are not afraid to admit when they aren't familiar with something. Not everyone here is some sort of pro or ex coach, but most people (yeah, we have our share of loud, ignorant types) put honest effort into their analysis and posts. While I personally have no professional expertise, I consider MSU football a major hobby of mine as a graduate, so I do my best to learn as much about the game as I possibly can and make my best guesses based on that.

Maybe we are this way because we are not as used to success as other SEC programs, so we actually know a good team when we see it because we have seen more bad than good. Maybe it is because creating a troll free environment has made it so that people can really dig into stats and performances without fear that someone would criticize them in bad faith. I really don't know, but it works incredibly well.

So, while this thread has no concrete or analytic purpose, I just want to thank all of you for creating a pretty damn good community by internet message board standards. Kudos, and pats on the back to all.

JDog13
10-06-2014, 11:14 PM
It's funny they call us MooU. That's what Alabama calls them.

ShotgunDawg
10-06-2014, 11:14 PM
I've read a few as well, and the people that usually said "Auburn will win easily, I ain't scared", only said about that much.

However, I did see numerous posts on their Scout site in which posters were scared and broke down why they were scared.

The knowledgeable Auburn fans realize what they are up against. They still believe they will win, but they realize they will need to play their A game to do so.

Todd4State
10-06-2014, 11:21 PM
We have more intelligent posts because most of us actually have degrees from MSU whereas I'm sure Auburn has their fair share of sidewalk fans that post on their boards.

BulldogDX55
10-06-2014, 11:24 PM
I've read a few as well, and the people that usually said "Auburn will win easily, I ain't scared", only said about that much.

However, I did see numerous posts on their Scout site in which posters were scared and broke down why they were scared.

The knowledgeable Auburn fans realize what they are up against. They still believe they will win, but they realize they will need to play their A game to do so.

Yeah, I noticed that board was the least terrible of the three, the other two being their 24/7 board and an independent one called AUFamily. The one with awful formatting is called Wayne's Auburn Board. Don't go there. It is sooooooo ugly.

We have more intelligent posts because most of us actually have degrees from MSU whereas I'm sure Auburn has their fair share of sidewalk fans that post on their boards.

That was my other theory, but I wanted to keep the post positive because I feel the "Did you even go to that school" argument is a little bit tacky. The two people in that discussion both already know the answer before it is asked, and the one who it is being asked to usually doesn't care.

War Machine Dawg
10-06-2014, 11:40 PM
http://i.imgur.com/RSCcYCh.gif

http://i.imgur.com/T40NzdX.gif

Dog316
10-07-2014, 07:50 AM

^^^^^^
We have our fair share of unintelligent posts too. Message boards are pretty much the same from team to team: the know it alls, the extremely negative, the overly optimistic, the in your face, the spewers of profanity, the glass is half full and the glass is half empty types, etc. I read them for team information and occasionally wind up posting (like this). I love our Dawg fans, but our message boards are just as goofy as the next schools. You can't judge a fan base based of message boards. They make every fan base look pretty ridiculous.

Lloyd Christmas
10-07-2014, 08:15 AM
The Auburn Scout board is basically the spirit. For what it's worth my Auburn buddy at work is nervous

codeDawg
10-07-2014, 08:53 AM
There is a noticeable lack of smack talk going on this week. It's because the team that should be talking smack isn't used to doing it yet. I will be surprised if we are not ranked #1, all by ourselves, on Sunday afternoon.