PDA

View Full Version : Graham's muffed punt

DanDority
10-06-2014, 07:12 PM
It may have been discussed already, if so I apologize. I thought watching live that maybe an Aggie touched the ball first and therefor the ball becomes dead at that spot, yet we had no review of the play and I said to myself, well I guess it was obvious who touched the ball first. Now, after watching the recording I'm positive that the ball hit the ground then bounced up and into an Aggie's face mask. Anyone else see this?

RougeDawg
10-06-2014, 07:21 PM
It may have been discussed already, if so I apologize. I thought watching live that maybe an Aggie touched the ball first and therefor the ball becomes dead at that spot, yet we had no review of the play and I said to myself, well I guess it was obvious who touched the ball first. Now, after watching the recording I'm positive that the ball hit the ground then bounced up and into an Aggie's face mask. Anyone else see this?

I haven't watched replay, but it looked like it hit the Aggie player first and should have been dead ball, from where I was standing. Of course no review of the play and A&M ran a quick play. Good job SEC crew once again. I thought they missed the JRob "fumble" as well. He never really had possession and didn't make a football move before it was knocked loose.

starkvegasdawg
10-06-2014, 07:30 PM
Have to remember at the time A&M was the higher ranked team and the one to be protected.

monroedawg5646
10-06-2014, 07:32 PM
The ball definitely hit the aggie player first. I thought it was pretty obvious on the replay in the stadium. My question is why Mullen would not challenge it himself. I would think Graham would know for sure who touched it first and could relay that to him. I know it was early in the game, but after they had scored so fast the last thing I would want is to give the ball up so deep in our territory. Looking back it didn't make a shit, but it coulda been a big tilt in the game.

aerodawg
10-06-2014, 07:55 PM
The ball definitely hit the aggie player first. I thought it was pretty obvious on the replay in the stadium. My question is why Mullen would not challenge it himself. I would think Graham would know for sure who touched it first and could relay that to him. I know it was early in the game, but after they had scored so fast the last thing I would want is to give the ball up so deep in our territory. Looking back it didn't make a shit, but it coulda been a big tilt in the game.

Yeah one of the replay angles definitely looked like it showed the ball hitting an Aggie first. My thought was that Graham wasn't aware that it had hit the Aggie. He looked upset with himself directly after the play so I don't think he realized that he wasn't the first to touch the ball. No coach is gonna throw out a challenge flag if their player is feeling guilty for the play unless it was completely obvious.

MarketingBully01
10-06-2014, 08:07 PM
Ball hit the Aggie. If we challenge the call, we win it. Graham was telling Mullen to challenge it if you saw their body language after the play. If you're Mullen, you have to throw the flag there. No excuse. Luckily no harm no foul because our defense was bad ass there but you have to challenge it.

MarketingBully01
10-06-2014, 08:10 PM
Yeah one of the replay angles definitely looked like it showed the ball hitting an Aggie first. My thought was that Graham wasn't aware that it had hit the Aggie. He looked upset with himself directly after the play so I don't think he realized that he wasn't the first to touch the ball. No coach is gonna throw out a challenge flag if their player is feeling guilty for the play unless it was completely obvious.

I disagree. He looked like he thought it touched the Aggie first. I was surprised we didn't challenge it based on Graham's body language. We must have seen different games. Anyway, the coaches should have immediately told Mullen to throw the flag there.

DanDority
10-06-2014, 08:17 PM

My thoughts exactly! I would also agree that at the time of the game a&m was the higher ranked team, and I have to agree with Starkvegasdawg about the league protecting them!

thf24
10-06-2014, 09:16 PM
I thought they missed the JRob "fumble" as well. He never really had possession and didn't make a football move before it was knocked loose.

It was a close call and I'm not going to judge. My issue is that if JRob's was a fumble, so was the TAMU player's later in the game, or vice versa. The difference probably came down to the weight carried by the call on the field, but still, it was practically the same thing and some consistency there would have been nice.

Coach66
10-06-2014, 09:54 PM
Nm

Barking 13
10-06-2014, 09:58 PM
My thought that the aggie was too close, and should have been flagged for interfering with the catch..

LiterallyPolice
10-06-2014, 09:59 PM
The muffed punt was the right call. Just watched the replay several times.... The ball hit Graham's fingertips first.

Percho
10-06-2014, 10:01 PM

You are correct.

BulldogBear
10-07-2014, 06:44 AM
I watched it last night finally. I disagree. From one angle I thought it was pretty clear that Graham did not touch the ball AT ALL much lest first.

Martianlander
10-07-2014, 07:39 AM
My thought that the aggie was too close, and should have been flagged for interfering with the catch..

That was my thoughts exactly. You have to give the receiving team room to make the catch.

Johnson85
10-07-2014, 08:14 AM
I haven't watched replay, but it looked like it hit the Aggie player first and should have been dead ball, from where I was standing. Of course no review of the play and A&M ran a quick play. Good job SEC crew once again. I thought they missed the JRob "fumble" as well. He never really had possession and didn't make a football move before it was knocked loose.

The JROB fumble was close enough to go either way, but no way they could call that a fumble and be consistent with calling essentially the same play later an incomplete pass when it happened to A&M. Both were completely clear from the replay; it's only a matter of consistently applying the rule.

FlabLoser
10-07-2014, 09:07 AM
The JROB fumble was close enough to go either way, but no way they could call that a fumble and be consistent with calling essentially the same play later an incomplete pass when it happened to A&M. Both were completely clear from the replay; it's only a matter of consistently applying the rule.

I agree.

But for the record, I hate the way the rulebook interprets catches. If you have control and a foot on the ground, I think its a catch no matter what happens a half second later when you drop the ball because somebody hit you or the ball comes out when you body lands on the ground. "The ground can't cause a fumble, but it can case an incompletion" is BS.

That said, Robinson & that A&M guy experienced the same thing "catching" the ball and quickly fumbling. They called J-Rob's a fumble and the A&M one an incompletion. That was..

http://ericpetersautos.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Cruze-horse-piss.jpg

campshelbydog
10-07-2014, 09:12 AM
Jamoral was at our tailgate after the game and told us that the ball grazed his arm on the way down. He felt it hit him first.