PDA

View Full Version : A few notes through 5 games.

Bo Darville
10-06-2014, 11:42 AM
I was a big critic of Jameon Lewis and his punt returning for several years. He just never figured it out. It was a risk to put a true freshman in Graham back there, but it was the correct decision. He looks so much more comfortable and natural, and I think he understands the concept of when to catch and run, when to let it bounce, and when to fair catch. He had a freshman moment against LSU when he stuck his hand out at the 5 to try and touch it, and the idiotic moment against A&M where he muffed it like he was trying to avoid interference or something. But you can see the potential from Graham. Lewis always looked like a lost ball in high weeds.

I think we have only played 2 true freshmen. Redshirt and develop is how you build a program at MSU.

Got to keep Dak and J-Rob healthy. They make this offense run.

Speaking of J-Rob, I hope Aeris Williams is big-time because Shumpert is not the answer (at this point anyway) as a legit backup and eventual replacement for J-Rob. Shumpert is a thumper, and nothing else at this point, who can only carry the ball in his right hand (I learned in 4th grade how to carry the ball correctly). He can block really well though.

Field goal kicking still needs to be addressed. Sobiesk is the guy and he might be adequate. But I long for Hazlewood, Westerfield, etc.

Gus Walley is a better receiver and blocker than Hutcherson at this point.

Tolando Cleveland is a nice player. I like his potential.

There is a reason that Kaleb Eulls has started every game of his career. His stats are never great, but if you watch the film, the guy opens up so much for other people. He really runs his assignment perfectly. He's an important part of what we do, and never gets enough credit.

Good job by Desper this weekend. Solid job this season by Justin Senior. We need Clayborn to continue to develop, along with Cole Carter. I don't want to miss a beat next year when Day, Beckwith, and Clausell move on.

There will be a chance for a certain recruit from Bassfield to play immediately. With Cox a senior, and Hughes probably not requesting a 6th year, playing time will be available.

Bear Wilson continues to improve and learn the finer points of the game. He should never pick up another basketball. Football is his future.

Depth. Damn Mullen. Your development and redshirt program have paid off unbelievably. We run defensive players and wideouts off and on the field like they are trading cards. We won without Jameon Lewis and Dillon Day, and we have backup defensive players who can ball at a high level.

Mullen talked the last several years with Tyler Russell about tailoring the offense to the players. That is crap. Mullen is so much better with a dual threat QB. Mullen's style is made for a dual threat, not a drop-back guy.

Homedawg
10-06-2014, 11:49 AM
This was spot on. Good post!!!

thf24
10-06-2014, 11:49 AM
Field goal kicking still needs to be addressed. Sobiesk is the guy and he might be adequate. But I long for Hazlewood, Westerfield, etc.

I haven't gotten a chance to rewatch, but I'd say the ball was almost certainly tipped on the field goal attempt. I don't think you could make a football come off your foot and do what it did if you tried. That's still not an excuse though, since a probably-blocked field goal and a blocked extra point suggests some problems with protection. Hopefully that aspect gets ironed out this week, like the bad snaps did early on.

Good observations all around.

rrog17
10-06-2014, 12:01 PM
All his kicks are very low. Even pats don't get past halfway up the uprights.