PDA

View Full Version : Dak's Heisman chances

starkvegasdawg
10-06-2014, 10:29 AM
There was a thread right as the season started about what kind of stats Dak would need to put up to be considered a serious Heisman contender. The general consensus was that we would need 4,000 yds of total offense and 50 TD's. After five games he has 1,713 total yards and 21 TD's. That breaks down to 342.6 yards/game and 4.2 TD's a game. Multiply that by a 12 game schedule and you have...

4,111.2 all purpose yards and 50.4 TD's. Yep. Right on track. He just needs to keep having his average game the rest of the season.

missouridawg
10-06-2014, 10:34 AM
There was a thread right as the season started about what kind of stats Dak would need to put up to be considered a serious Heisman contender. The general consensus was that we would need 4,000 yds of total offense and 50 TD's. After five games he has 1,713 total yards and 21 TD's. That breaks down to 342.6 yards/game and 4.2 TD's a game. Multiply that by a 12 game schedule and you have...

4,111.2 all purpose yards and 50.4 TD's. Yep. Right on track. He just needs to keep having his average game the rest of the season.

Hope we don't need it, but some extra reps against Vandy and UT Martin could help.

When Fred Ross dropped that pass, I said to myself there's 85 yards and a passing TD off the resume. Would've been nice to have had that.

LiterallyPolice
10-06-2014, 10:44 AM
Unfortunately it will be tough for Dak to continue that pace, given the cupcakes we played early. I would hope that voters would factor in SOS in their voting.... because if Dak can win against the SEC West and still have Top-3-ish stats.... he deserves to win the damn thing.

DudyDawg
10-06-2014, 10:45 AM
Didn't see this thread, so feel free to move mine mods. Here's how he stacks up against tebow cam and JFF

https://twitter.com/hailstate_logo/status/518841537393094656

DawgInMemphis
10-06-2014, 10:52 AM
Unfortunately it will be tough for Dak to continue that pace, given the cupcakes we played early. I would hope that voters would factor in SOS in their voting.... because if Dak can win against the SEC West and still have Top-3-ish stats.... he deserves to win the damn thing.

Keep in mind he played very limited minutes in a very vanilla offense in those cupcake wins... his average performance has been the same in the cupcake games and SEC play. No reason he can't sustain it. Auburn, Bama, and UM are the toughest defenses we have left. Arky (and maybe UK) is somewhere in the middle, and then UTM and Vandy. I think he's plenty capable of keeping pace with the supporting cast he has around him.

codeDawg
10-06-2014, 11:15 AM
He will have the stats to make it, but stats are just the table stakes. He has the character, the personality, the story, and the team that will bring home the trophy. The Egg Bowl win will seal the deal.

TheRef
10-06-2014, 11:18 AM
Updated Heisman Trophy odds:

Todd Gurley: 7/4
Dak Prescott: 9/5
Nick Marshall: 4/1
Marcus Mariota: 15/2
Everett Golson: 8/1

starkvegasdawg
10-06-2014, 11:21 AM
Updated Heisman Trophy odds:

Todd Gurley: 7/4
Dak Prescott: 9/5
Nick Marshall: 4/1
Marcus Mariota: 15/2
Everett Golson: 8/1

Huh. Still no Hobby Lobby on the list? Old Kellenberger better start cranking out the fluff pieces of how he saved kittens from drowning after the game or tutors orphans in war torn countries during the off season.

Johnson85
10-06-2014, 11:23 AM

I don't think his stats will be that much different against the better teams. He's going to be relied upon more the better the opposing defense is, so while his per carry and per pass numbers will be down, his yardage shouldn't go down as much and it become much more likely that he gets the ball to punch it in inside the redzone.

Combine that with the fact that he isn't really turned loose against the weaker opponents, and I don't think you'll see that big of a disparity.

Also, I don't think stats will be as important for Dak. He's going to get to show out on national television against at least 3 top 10 teams (at the time), and at least two top 15 or top 20 teams in Bama and UM, either of which could be top 10 when we play him depending on how the season unfolds. If he beats auburn this weekend with stats like he had against LSU or A&M, I think he'll win it if we split with Bama and UM. (It's really 17ing weird to talk about MSU and heisman in the same sentence, much less MSU QB and Heisman, and then to follow that up with UM in the same sentence as Bama non-sarcastically. Are we sure the Mayan calendar was interpreted correctly?)

Dawgfan1
10-06-2014, 11:42 AM
Gurley has the advantage of playing cupcakes all year long. Surely they will take into account who we play every week and who Georgia plays.

starkvegasdawg
10-06-2014, 11:50 AM
Gurley has the advantage of playing cupcakes all year long. Surely they will take into account who we play every week and who Georgia plays.

Right now Dak is getting more hype so beating top 5/10 teams will get you more looks. And don't call me Shirley.

Johnson85
10-06-2014, 11:52 AM

I think Gurley's chances will depend on getting UGA to the SEC CG and him willing his way to victory there. I think UGA is going to have at least two SEC losses and if somebody else passes the eye test and plays for an 11-1, conference champion team, I think Gurley will be passed over unless he shows out in the SEC CG against a good Defense.