PDA

View Full Version : MSU Recruiting Update/Overview

BeastMan
05-30-2013, 08:14 AM
I've got commits, a few notes, and who could be next. Enjoy and discuss gents
http://3rdand57.wordpress.com/2013/05/30/msu-commit-tracker-530/

FISHDAWG
05-30-2013, 08:35 AM
nicely done - thanks .... seems we are offering several guys who are either flying way under the radar or just relatively unknown but by now I've learned to trust Dan's eye for talent .... one player turned down Oklahoma and another LSU ... tempting programs for a HS recruit ..... I also noticed that the bears haven't yet offered several of those guys, wonder how many will end up with an invitation to the Library in January

dickiedawg
05-30-2013, 08:36 AM
Thanks. Count me as a casual recruiting observer- I don't follow much except January and February. I know I'll be excited if/when Aeris commits, and looks like Big Dawg could be big.

I am a little concerned that our rankings won't be up to snuff this year because numbers are tight, and folks will freak out. If we have a step back on the field this season the "Mullen has reached his ceiling" crowd will come out of the woodwork.

BeastMan
05-30-2013, 08:53 AM
Graham is big time. Johnson fits a need and is good in his own right. Cathey, Durr, and Rayford show our staffs eye for talent. Rayford very well could be our jewel this year. Kid is from an under the radar area and is only 16. Physically he's a freak and again, only 16

mic
05-30-2013, 09:14 AM
I agree Johnson fits a HUGE need .. Hopefully we pick up 2 more soild OL. would love to get a stud from the high school ranks and RS him..
With the RB situation I wouldnt be surprised if Shumpert ends up on the Defensive side of the ball before too long.. I think He will RS and get his shot at RB this season but if we sign 2 or 3 TRUE RB Shump may switch sides. I heard he is a BEAST on def..

MSUDawg4Life
05-30-2013, 09:16 AM
When is Big Dawg camp?

Coach34
05-30-2013, 09:28 AM
I am a little concerned that our rankings won't be up to snuff this year because numbers are tight, and folks will freak out. If we have a step back on the field this season the "Mullen has reached his ceiling" crowd will come out of the woodwork.

This class will be measured by star average due to our low numbers. But I'm pretty sure you can count on alot of our fans freaking out regardless.

mic
05-30-2013, 09:32 AM
This class will be measured by star average due to our low numbers. But I'm pretty sure you can count on alot of our fans freaking out regardless.

110% freak out..

BeastMan
05-30-2013, 09:34 AM
MSU fans recruiting composure reminds me off the kid in super troopers in the back of the car who ate all the shrooms when they got pulled over "I'm freakin out man!!"

Homedawg
05-30-2013, 09:35 AM

This is a certainty. To an extent, they already are. My take is if our staff likes them this early, I'll trust their judgment. It's when we start offering some no name that no one wants and has no offers in December, that bothers me.

FISHDAWG
05-30-2013, 09:56 AM
looks like we are targeting some slot recvrs early .... question- who will play our slot this season and what to expect from that position ? (we have leaned on Bumphis for a while now - wondering how the loss of him will effect us )

Coach34
05-30-2013, 10:03 AM
Tubby, Tubby, Tubby

We'll see what Jameon is made of this season.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
05-30-2013, 10:08 AM
Are there any Qb's on the radar that may be interested in us? It sure seems like it's a long shot for Cord to make it to campus.

sandwolf
05-30-2013, 10:09 AM

I hope that you will start doing this on a regular basis. That was a great read and should serve as a good centerpiece for some recruiting talk. Well done.

Coach34
05-30-2013, 10:17 AM
Are there any Qb's on the radar that may be interested in us? It sure seems like it's a long shot for Cord to make it to campus.

Yes- There is a kid that de-committed from Vandy and now has us as his leader- Staley I think is his name. He is also 4-star basketball player- and wehave assured him he can play both. Coach Ray has helped us here also

War Machine Dawg
05-30-2013, 10:19 AM
Looks like we're back to chasing midget-sized WRs. *sigh*

We've GOT to get a legit dual threat QB in this class that actually makes it to campus. If we don't, it'll be the end of Dan. No QB after Dak will be too much to overcome.

Coach34
05-30-2013, 10:21 AM
We signed one in Williams in this last class. That kid is going to be ok- but obviously we need to close with the Staley kid also

BeastMan
05-30-2013, 10:29 AM
Looks like we're back to chasing midget-sized WRs. *sigh*

We've GOT to get a legit dual threat QB in this class that actually makes it to campus. If we don't, it'll be the end of Dan. No QB after Dak will be too much to overcome.

Slot is a need. Jameon is a Jr. Holloway showed in spring that he deserves RB reps. Our 2013 slot signee Donald Gray probably won't qualify. We need slots

ETA- We signed a bunch of outside WRs last year. Our main 2 outside WR targets this year are Jesse Jackson and Pack. Pack won't stick at FSU I don't think

SaltyDawg
05-30-2013, 10:31 AM
Yes- There is a kid that de-committed from Vandy and now has us as his leader- Staley I think is his name. He is also 4-star basketball player- and wehave assured him he can play both. Coach Ray has helped us here also

There is absolutely no way that will work if he wants to be a legit SEC QB. WR and basketball? Sure. SEC QB and basketball? No way. Kid would have to be AMAZINGLY talented.

Coach34
05-30-2013, 10:31 AM
. We need slots

and sluts

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
05-30-2013, 10:33 AM
Do we realistically think that a QB in the SEC can play both football and basketball at a high level, without taking away from one or the other? Man, we get in some bad situations with our QB recruiting.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
05-30-2013, 10:39 AM
Holloway showed in spring that he deserves RB reps.
Ehh...Isn't it a little early for that? The same thing was said about Morrow last year (WR) and we saw what happened when he hit the field. I'm not saying Holloway won't be good, but let's see what he does under the lights.

War Machine Dawg
05-30-2013, 10:43 AM
Holloway shows he deserves touches. But I'm far from sold on RB touches. He needs to have a "super athlete" role. Slot, RB, Wild Dog, etc. Line him up everywhere and find about 800 ways to get him the ball. But dude is wayyyyy too small to be an SEC RB. Don't care how fast he is. If we try to hammer another round peg into a square hole, Mullen deserves to be fired. Holloway is the kind of mismatch guy teams dream of having.

TrueMaroon
05-30-2013, 10:43 AM
There is absolutely no way that will work if he wants to be a legit SEC QB. WR and basketball? Sure. SEC QB and basketball? No way. Kid would have to be AMAZINGLY talented.

Signed,

Matt Jones

Coach34
05-30-2013, 10:46 AM
Signed,

Matt Jones

Foreward by Charlie Ward

SaltyDawg
05-30-2013, 10:47 AM
Signed,

Matt Jones

Yeah, the guy who was nicknamed "The Freak". Ya know, because he had AMAZING talent.

SheltonChoked
05-30-2013, 10:48 AM
You are absouletly right,

Sincerely,
Charlie Ward

SaltyDawg
05-30-2013, 10:48 AM
So there are TWO examples of guys who did it? Damn, I feel so much better about the whole situation now.

Homedawg
05-30-2013, 11:01 AM
So there are TWO examples of guys who did it? Damn, I feel so much better about the whole situation now.

Yea me too. Both w pro careers.

mic
05-30-2013, 11:06 AM
Win - Win either way .. If he ends up not playing both then we get a soild SEC talent either with B'ball or Football..

Coach34
05-30-2013, 11:08 AM

There are plenty of others, I just cant think of any offhand. His basketball will suffer more than football.

He plays football until season and bowl game is over- then goes to basketball in January. Basketball is over in March- then he goes right to Spring Practice. He never gets any Fall practice with basketball.

Not worried about this a bit

CadaverDawg
05-30-2013, 11:09 AM

Excellent excellent write up, Steve, as always. Thank you for this. We may not have a ton of signees this class...but I have a feeling it will be a star studded group.

SaltyDawg
05-30-2013, 11:17 AM
There are plenty of others, I just cant think of any offhand. His basketball will suffer more than football.

He plays football until season and bowl game is over- then goes to basketball in January. Basketball is over in March- then he goes right to Spring Practice. He never gets any Fall practice with basketball.

You can't think of any because they probably weren't any good.

I'm not freaking out or anything, I know the pieces will fall in place. I'm just pointing out that for once- just once- I want to get a QB that is NORMAL. He lives, breathes, sleeps, eats football- and that's it.

Coach34
05-30-2013, 11:26 AM
I'm just pointing out that for once- just once- I want to get a QB that is NORMAL. He lives, breathes, sleeps, eats football- and that's it.

Price you pay chasing dual threat QB's

BeastMan
05-30-2013, 11:33 AM
Excellent excellent write up, Steve, as always. Thank you for this. We may not have a ton of signees this class...but I have a feeling it will be a star studded group.

And I agree. I think this class is shaping up really well

SaltyDawg
05-30-2013, 11:35 AM
Price you pay chasing dual threat QB's

Signed,

Cam Newton

maroonmania
05-30-2013, 12:13 PM

In comparison it would be easier than baseball which normally conflicts directly with spring practice and has fall ball.

Coach34
05-30-2013, 12:27 PM
Signed,

Cam Newton

all we had to do was pay the money

FlabLoser
05-30-2013, 02:45 PM
I don't think we could have ever outbid Auburn.

Auburn would pick up the red phone and say "ATM cards and Swiss bank account, status gold" and it would be done.

sandwolf
05-30-2013, 02:57 PM
I'm just pointing out that for once- just once- I want to get a QB that is NORMAL. He lives, breathes, sleeps, eats football- and that's it.

I'd be willing to bet that Mullen shares that sentiment. But he has learned that MS does not produce a whole lot of D1 QB's and that its not easy to attract talented out of state QB's to Starkville.....fortunately, he has accepted the fact that he will have to make some concessions like this.

SaltyDawg
05-30-2013, 03:37 PM
I'm definitely being a homer, but why wouldn't a QB want to come here (even out of state)? It's not the biggest and best college town or the biggest football program, true. But it does have its perks- and it definitely beats the hell out of sitting on the bench until your Senior year and then MAYBE getting playing time.

1. SEC
2. Virtually no competition after Dak (that's 3 years you could be a SEC starter)
3. Mullen is regarded as a QB guru
4. Proven bowl games under Dan
5. Davis Wade expansion
6. Leo Seal Complex

hailmari
06-01-2013, 12:48 PM
Matt Jones.