PDA

View Full Version : shotgun's Thoughts - "Don't Stop Believing"

ShotgunDawg
10-05-2014, 09:08 PM
Between the 3rd and 4th quarters of yesterday's game, I stood high on an inclined ridge above Scott Field, and surveyed the carnage that had just been levied to upon another top 10 competitor by the Commander and Chief Dan Mullen, and his Field Marshall AKA "The General" Dakota Prescott. The game had come to a commercial timeout, and the outcome of the battle was no longer in doubt. However, for these few precious minutes, while listening to 60+ thousand people sing "Don't Stop Believing", while not satisfied, was the most gratified I have ever felt as an MSU Football fan.

Sure we may have had bigger wins (Maybe???), and sure we have torn down goal posts at the end of games, but this was different. An analogy to my gratification could be compared to the way Patton must have felt after whipping Rommel's ass at the Battle of El Alamein, and thus kicking the Nazis out of North Africa. Prior to this moment in history, the Nazis were an unconquerable enemy(The SEC West), but, at this time, the rag/tag US Army, with worse tanks and equipment, made a statement. Patton knew there would be far greater and tougher battles to fight in the future, and that the US Army would have to go town by town fighting and destroying the enemy. However, at that moment, as he overlooked a Train Station in the middle of the Egyptian desert, Patton knew it could be done. He knew that this army had the fighting spirit, the attitude, the ability, the talent, and, most importantly, the leadership to go all the way to Berlin.

I'm not writing this to break down our team player for player or talk Xs and Os on how we will beat Auburn, as that will be done many times over this week. I don't know if we are the best team in the country, and I don't know if we will beat Auburn. However, what I do know is this: after many years of coaching and evaluating teams the highest levels of sports, I can tell you that this team has that "look". I can't accurately describe or define what that "look" is, but I know it when I see it.

This team greatly resembles the State of Mississippi. It is crude, it is tough, it is versatile, it is blue collar, and this team will show up uninvited at your house, punch you in the nose, steal all your beer, take your girlfriend, and flick you off as it pulls out of your driveway. We aren't the flashiest or prettiest team, with most stars, but boy are we effective, lethal, tough, and good. Ladies and gentlemen, there is no smoke and mirrors going on here. No fluke and no accidents. This team passes the "Eye test" greater than any MSU team in my lifetime. Personally, I believe this team may run the late 90s MSU teams off the field.

Again, I don't know if we are the best team in the country, or if we will beat Auburn, Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucky, and Ole Miss. But, I do know that whatever team plans on beating this bunch will need to show up with their chin strap buckled, and pulled extra tight on that day because they will have to play a complete game and earn every inch.

Next Saturday afternoon, following an outstanding coach and the best player in college football (Let's face it, he's the best player in the country),this rag tag, group of under appreciated, underrated, over achievers that have long hair, tattoos, and exude a general nastiness about them, will take the field with a number 1 ranking in college football on the line.

This group has that "look". It's that look of excellence, confidence, and humble respect for the game that every great team radiates to the fortunate people who get to watch them, and when every player is challenged to play to his potential, not for himself, but for his brothers. This team looks like it's on GD mission.

Auburn better be ready, or they could get run out of the stadium!

Not my video, found it on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe3-5TVm76Q

KB21
10-05-2014, 09:44 PM
There is an "it" factor with this team that can not be quantified, IMO. I was telling a friend of mine yesterday after the game that I have watched MSU football for a long time. At no point in my past experience watching this team have I seen a team like this. The attitude is different. No longer do we have a team that lets mistakes snowball on them. This team expects to win. They believe they can and will win every game.

I can't tell you how often in the past that I have said "we can beat this team, but we have to play a perfect game to do it." Yesterday, this team was not perfect, and it dominated another top 10 team in the country. For the first time in my years watching this team, I honestly feel like this team can and will beat every team on its schedule.

LC Dawg
10-05-2014, 10:09 PM
I just got home from Starkville and I've had limited internet access this weekend so I'm just now getting to catch up on everything being said about our Bulldogs. I walked out of the stadium yesterday thinking that we really may be the best team in the country and its nice to see that people across the country feel the same way. We played first and even after all the games yesterday our win still seemed to be the most impressive to everyone.

ScoobaDawg
10-06-2014, 05:02 PM
Pretty impressive video, to see the stadium COMPLETELY full it appears..at the start of the 4th quarter when the game was well in hand.

ShotgunDawg
10-06-2014, 05:08 PM
Pretty impressive video, to see the stadium COMPLETELY full it appears..at the start of the 4th quarter when the game was well in hand.

We've yet to have a game this year where we didn't have a 20 point or greater lead entering the 4th quarter

yjnkdawg
10-06-2014, 05:30 PM
I think this "we" oriented team is on a mission for something better than just a bowl game and I do not think the rankings, game day, media attention. etc. will go to their heads. I think they are specifically focused on the job ahead and right now that job is beating Auburn on Saturday.

gtowndawg
10-06-2014, 05:56 PM
win the Heisman as well. I think they respect him that much. Just part of the overall mission right now.

DawgPoundtheRock
10-06-2014, 06:28 PM
I graduated from State in 1970. I've seen a lot of State football. I've seen a lot of the bad. We lost to Richmond while I was in school. I remember Maine. I remember Croom. I've seen the good; Don Smith running wild against Tennessee. Overall, as a long time State fan, you expect the worst to happen. It gives you a lousy attitude.

Every time we have changed coaches, hope is renewed. tyler was a creative mind. Jackie got us part way. Croom brought the promise of tough discipline and a Bryant prot?g?. Eventually they failed.

Mullen brought new hope. It hasn't been easy, nor has it always been pretty. Building championship teams takes time. We as a fan base weren't always patient. We wanted bigger and better results... now.

The time is now. We have a championship quality team. No longer do I look at disaster. I look to a championship year and a long, bright future.

#HailState

Oh yeah, Go to Hell Ole Miss.