PDA

View Full Version : I did some comparing Renfroe to the Golden Spikes semifinalists...

dickiedawg
05-29-2013, 04:58 PM
Just trying to see how big of a "snub" this really is.

14 of the 30 finalists are hitters. Two of those are pitcher/hitters, and only one of those had the hitting stats to back up his selection. So let's call it 13 hitters.

Of just those 13 plus Renfroe, Hunter is 13th in AVG, 7th in RBI, 4th in HR, 12th in OBP, 5th in SLG, 8th in OPS, and 7th in SB.

In other words, he's pretty much middle of the pack overall. He doesn't have a category he blows away the competition in- like Tony Kemp with his 30 SB to go with a .402 AVG, or Colin Moran with his 84 RBIs or Kris Bryant's 31 Home Runs (THIRTY ONE!)

Please note- when I say "middle of the pack" I mean that compared to the 13 finalists. He would fit right in with the rest if judged as a whole. Again, though, the lack of one "wow" statistic really hurt him in my estimation. The other thing that hurt him was how his BA plummeted late in the season. That's still probably the first thing most folks look at.

Something else that stands out is that it is a JOKE for Alex Bregman to be selected over Hunter Renfroe. Renfroe's stats are better in every category except AVG and Stolen Bases. Obviously for Bregman to do it as a freshman is incredible, but Renfroe's body of work is better.

Also, if New Mexico's DJ Peterson doesn't win the award, I won't know what to think. This guy is 1st or 2nd among the finalists in every category I compared except Stolen Bases (That would be AVG, RBI, HR, OBP, SLG and OPS). You also have to consider San Diego's Kris Bryant with his aforementioned 31 home runs.

msstate7
05-29-2013, 05:18 PM
Does sdsu play in a tiny park or what?

dickiedawg
05-29-2013, 06:14 PM
He plays for USD, not sdsu. And the park is 312-370-391-385-327. It's no Hoover met, but it's not the reason he's hit 31 home runs.