PDA

View Full Version : I do not understand why some coaches don't value the kicking game

Todd4State
10-04-2014, 08:05 PM
Nick Saban demands excellence as a part of every aspect of his team- but he seems to neglect special teams.

I don't get it.

I understand that kickers are the outcast on the roster. But they're still an important part of the game. If you are bad at special teams, you just make things more difficult for yourself. You can win a game with field position. And how awful is it to have a really good team and then lose because you can't make a 30 yard field goal?

I have noticed that we have improved as a special teams unit overall with the exception of kicker, and I don't think that it's a coincidence that we finally have broken through with two wins over top 10 teams after having a long drought.

Bass Chaser
10-04-2014, 08:28 PM
I think part of it is the limited amount of practice time set by the NCAA. There are definitely three phases to the game - O, D, and ST. ST seems to get the short end of the stick.

Todd4State
10-04-2014, 08:44 PM
I think you are right, and I also think the NCAA rule that limits how many assistants that you have hurts as well. The NCAA really does need to add one more assistant to the staff.

Goat Holder
10-04-2014, 09:19 PM
If you think Saban doesn't stress the shit out of ST, then you are a blithering idiot and need to stop posting forever.

ST is also NOT the reason we are where we are. Improved with the exception of kicker? What does that even mean?

Geez dude. Do your research. Shitty kicking seems to be a nationwide trend.

Todd4State
10-04-2014, 09:34 PM
If you think Saban doesn't stress the shit out of ST, then you are a blithering idiot and need to stop posting forever.

ST is also NOT the reason we are where we are. Improved with the exception of kicker? What does that even mean?

Geez dude. Do your research. Shitty kicking seems to be a nationwide trend.

So, I guess you haven't paid attention to Alabama's recent losses? Give a TD on a long field goal to Auburn? Missing several field goals which cost them a perfect season against LSU? Fumbling a KO today and going 1/3 on field goal attempts to cost them the Ole Miss game? Maybe if you did your research YOU would see a theme.

As far as us, our punting is better. We cover kicks better. We had issues with punt returner in game one but have corrected that aside from the one muff today and one ball that Graham should have let go against LSU. We are solid kicking the ball off and getting it into the end zone as well. Like I said the only issue we have is at place kicker and long snapper.

I guess you have conveniently forgotten the blocked punts last year, us allowing KO returns for TD's, issues with getting KO into the end zone, and issues with place kicking (which are ongoing). Engie had a chart somewhere that showed how bad we were. If you had a clue about football, it would be VERY obvious that we are much better overall in special teams this year.

Goat Holder
10-04-2014, 09:39 PM
We are much better in all aspects.

None of that crap you posted made your original point any less dumb. Saban has always had spectacular ST. You're judging him by 2 games? Whatever.

Todd4State
10-04-2014, 09:47 PM
We are much better in all aspects.

None of that crap you posted made your original point any less dumb. Saban has always had spectacular ST. You're judging him by 2 games? Whatever.

Two games? I listed THREE. You're going to call ME dumb when YOU can't count? And for the record, I'm judging him based on his performance over his entire career at Bama. Excuse me for not breaking down every game since 2007.

And how can you say that he has "always had spectacular ST" when he has issues at kicker pretty much every year he has been at Bama?

Goat Holder
10-04-2014, 09:50 PM
Two games? I listed THREE. You're going to call ME dumb when YOU can't count? And for the record, I'm judging him based on his performance over his entire career at Bama. Excuse me for not breaking down every game since 2007.

And how can you say that he has "always had spectacular ST" when he has issues at kicker pretty much every year he has been at Bama?

It's a figure of speech. Point is he's had good ST most of the time. It's fact. Just drop it.

Todd4State
10-04-2014, 09:54 PM
It's a figure of speech. Point is he's had good ST most of the time. It's fact. Just drop it.

No it's not fact. I've pretty much proved it's not, and I'm going to call you out for being stupid because you deserve it for hijacking this thread.

Now go do something productive like sticking a fork in an electrical outlet.

Goat Holder
10-04-2014, 10:10 PM
No it's not fact. I've pretty much proved it's not, and I'm going to call you out for being stupid because you deserve it for hijacking this thread.

Now go do something productive like sticking a fork in an electrical outlet.

If Bammer hasn't had good ST, then it's obviously not needed. 3 ships n shit. But bottom line is, they have. Javier Arenas says hello.

This is dumb dude. Save yourself the embarrassment. The thread not only needed to be hijacked, it needed to be shit on and flushed down the toilet.

Todd4State
10-04-2014, 10:16 PM
If Bammer hasn't had good ST, then it's obviously not needed. 3 ships n shit. But bottom line is, they have. Javier Arenas says hello.

This is dumb dude. Save yourself the embarrassment. The thread not only needed to be hijacked, it needed to be shit on and flushed down the toilet.

Including one NC where they cost themselves a perfect season because of special teams against LSU. And how many NC's have they COST themselves because of ST's? Like last year? Maybe cost themselves one today. THAT'S my point. Glad you got it.

And your retort is they had a good return guy a few seasons ago? That's your proof that they are good on special teams? Really?

We all know who is embarrassing themselves here. And it's not me.

And by the way- just because you have a weakness, it doesn't mean that you are going to lose every game, so get out of here with that "well, they win plenty of games, so they must be good" strawman. Just like we have won plenty of games under Dan despite poor special teams. BUT being bad at special teams can definitely make a difference between a championship, a better bowl, etc.

War Machine Dawg
10-04-2014, 10:35 PM
So, I guess you haven't paid attention to Alabama's recent losses? Give a TD on a long field goal to Auburn? Missing several field goals which cost them a perfect season against LSU? Fumbling a KO today and going 1/3 on field goal attempts to cost them the Ole Miss game? Maybe if you did your research YOU would see a theme.

As far as us, our punting is better. We cover kicks better. We had issues with punt returner in game one but have corrected that aside from the one muff today and one ball that Graham should have let go against LSU. We are solid kicking the ball off and getting it into the end zone as well. Like I said the only issue we have is at place kicker and long snapper.

I guess you have conveniently forgotten the blocked punts last year, us allowing KO returns for TD's, issues with getting KO into the end zone, and issues with place kicking (which are ongoing). Engie had a chart somewhere that showed how bad we were. If you had a clue about football, it would be VERY obvious that we are much better overall in special teams this year.

Normally I'd say that's gonna leave a mark, but it seems you'r arguing with Goat's mongoloid personality.