PDA

View Full Version : Just heard we likely have 2 baseball players transferring

601Dawg
05-28-2013, 05:37 PM
Nick Flair and Preston Brown per Paul Jones on 24/7

There could be a lot of players leaving from this years team. We have 7 Srs and Hunter Renfroe, Adam Frazier, and Evan Mitchell may all get drafted and sign.

Gonna have to rely on a lot of new faces next year. Catcher really worries me the most.

601Dawg
05-28-2013, 05:41 PM
The only FR who played any for us this year who are likely returning are
Jacob Robson
Kyle Hann
Myles Gentry
John Mark Shelley
RS- Daniel Gardner, Cody Brown and a couple walkons

Will James
05-28-2013, 08:31 PM
We'll be A-OK

Coach34
05-28-2013, 08:33 PM
I'm not surprised by this. We'll be ok- plus I expect a couple of the freshmen to play next year

engie
05-28-2013, 08:41 PM
Yep, we'll be fine. We've yet to lose a guy that went on to a big career elsewhere... even among the ones that we thought showed promise.

Some attrition has consistently been a good thing under Cohen. I'd be surprised if we don't lose more than two honestly.

We've got 7-8 guys coming in that will contribute immediately in some capacities IMO -- either on the hill or in the field. Think we've got 3-4 that play in the field(Rooker, Humphries, Vickerson, Ingram, Collins) and 3-4 that see time on the mound(Sexton, Hudson, Houston, Hudspeth, Tatum)...

This incoming class is, by FAR, the best we've seen thusfar. Especially if Sandberg and Simpson show up and play baseball at all...

RBritt
05-28-2013, 08:44 PM
How good is the Dakota kid and did Humphries get miss player of the year.

engie
05-28-2013, 08:53 PM
How good is the Dakota kid
Best pitcher, potential-wise, of Cohen's tenure thusfar most likely. He's not as polished as Woodruff was coming in, but he's a guy that has gained 4-6 mph on his fastball in each of the past two years. He's in the mid-90s now and has the body type to get even more out of it. Could easily grow into a high-90s guy. Naturally, we're pretty worried about him in the draft.

and did Humphries get miss player of the year.
Don't think it has been announced yet, but could be wrong...

WeWillScrewItUp
05-28-2013, 08:57 PM
How good is the Dakota kid and did Humphries get miss player of the year.

I thought I saw that Humphries was named Gatorade Player of the Year today.

engie
05-28-2013, 09:07 PM
I thought I saw that Humphries was named Gatorade Player of the Year today.

This is correct. Just found the tweets...

Rod Walker ?@rwalker1906 8h
NW Rankin's Reid Humphreys named Mississippi's Gatorade Player of Year.His 11 HRs led state according to MaxPreps.Tyler Moore's little bro

Coach34
05-28-2013, 09:35 PM
Innings are going to be tough to find for the newcomers:

1. Woody
2. Lindgren
3. Fitts
4. Cox
5. Mitchell
6. Holder
7. Shelley
8. Gentry
9. Norris
10. Bracewell (if he returns)

And that doesnt include guys that we redshirted

engie
05-28-2013, 09:59 PM
Several of these new guys will certainly have roles. Hudson could easily be a weekend starter by the time next season is over. He's that potentially dominant.

You've also got 2 very high ceiling guys(Woodruff and Lindgren) that we really don't have a clue what to expect from at this point. I'd go so far as to say that we don't have a single "surefire" or truly proven weekend starter next year as of right now. As Lindgren and Woodruff go, so goes our season next year.

Coach34
05-28-2013, 10:04 PM
Several of these new guys will certainly have roles. Hudson could easily be a weekend starter by the time next season is over. He's that potentially dominant.

You've also got 2 very high ceiling guys(Woodruff and Lindgren) that we really don't have a clue what to expect from at this point. I'd go so far as to say that we don't have a single "surefire" or truly proven weekend starter next year as of right now. As Lindgren and Woodruff go, so goes our season next year.

Yeah, but if all 10 of those guys are back and healthy- they will be on the weekend roster. That only leaves another spot or two

I hope Hudson is as good as advertised- would be huge for us

601Dawg
05-28-2013, 10:05 PM

1. Woody
2. Lindgren
3. Fitts
4. Cox
5. Mitchell
6. Holder
7. Shelley
8. Gentry
9. Norris

What pitchers did we redshirt?

Coach possibly as many as 4 of our pitching signees will get drafted. They may steal innings from guys like Fitts, Gentry, Shelley, Norris and even Lindgrin if he can't get his stuff together.

We have some guys who can sling it coming in.

601Dawg
05-28-2013, 10:09 PM
Yeah, but if all 10 of those guys are back and healthy- they will be on the weekend roster. That only leaves another spot or two

I hope Hudson is as good as advertised- would be huge for us

Hudson has been clocked at 95-96 this year, Tatum and Houston also are in the low 90's.

Coach34
05-28-2013, 10:09 PM

Coach possibly as many as 4 of our pitching signees will get drafted. They may steal innings from guys like Fitts, Gentry, Shelley, Norris and even Lindgrin if he can't get his stuff together.

I know we have signed a really good class- but much like our 2-deep at LB in football- there just isnt much room- it's already full of good players.

601Dawg
05-28-2013, 10:13 PM
I know we have signed a really good class- but much like our 2-deep at LB in football- there just isnt much room- it's already full of good players.

Who are the pitchers you said redshirted??? The only FR pitchers on our roster not named Gentry or Shelley will likely never see the mound at Dudy Noble.

Coach34
05-28-2013, 10:18 PM
Who are the pitchers you said redshirted??? The only FR pitchers on our roster not named Gentry or Shelley will likely never see the mound at Dudy Noble.

whomever Anothony Anello and Alex Deise are- plus JC guy Wes Stokes that are on our roster. I dont know a thing about them

Homedawg
05-28-2013, 10:27 PM

Nobody that would get innings from an incoming stud.

msstate7
05-28-2013, 10:27 PM

1. Woody
2. Lindgren
3. Fitts
4. Cox
5. Mitchell
6. Holder
7. Shelley
8. Gentry
9. Norris

Can any of these guys play 3rd? Please tell me we'll have a dependable 3rd baseman next season

engie
05-28-2013, 10:38 PM
I'm just slow to apply too much developmental expectation to Woodruff and Lindgren based on what we know at this point. This year burned me on them to an extent(yes I realize Woody was injured and Lindgren hasn't exactly been healthy either). We were always going to be reliant on those two guys to be truly elite this year -- and losing one and having the other underperform has been a huge setback. Without those two guys, we've overperformed as a team -- and as optimistic as my initial expectations were, they were actually still met despite not having our two(really 3) "aces" step up -- thus my expectations have been surpassed given the circumstances of the season for the third straight year.

Leads me to question what might have been -- and just how close we are to being on a truly elite level right now while still playing shorthanded and handcuffed in a big way... If Lindgren becomes "what he is supposed to be" and Woodruff does as well, the sky is the limit to how good we can be next year. If we don't get demolished in the draft with our jrs and incoming freshmen, we ought to be pretty damn near a "teflon" stage where no single thing prevents us from being tremendous.

Coach34
05-28-2013, 10:39 PM
Nobody that would get innings from an incoming stud.

just heard from someone that Stokes will likely get some innings next year- low 90's FB- if he gets innings- that makes 11 guys right there. Stokes will be a veteran in his 4th year of college

Coach34
05-28-2013, 10:43 PM
If we don't get demolished in the draft with our jrs and incoming freshmen, we ought to be pretty damn near a "teflon" stage where no single thing prevents us from being tremendous.

I worry about us offensively with having almost no power- but pitching will be sick. Even if Woody and Lindgren dont becometop notch weekend SP's- they will still be on the weekend rosters every weekend- that's all I was pointing out. I dont see us having more than 1 or 2 Freshman contribute on the hill- there just isnt room.

Everybody thought Shelley was going to log alot of innings in relief- and he hasnt pitched since March

601Dawg
05-28-2013, 10:43 PM
whomever Anothony Anello and Alex Deise are- plus JC guy Wes Stokes that are on our roster. I dont know a thing about them

All three are walkons and essentially practice players

Coach34
05-28-2013, 10:50 PM
All three are walkons and essentially practice players

not Stokes apparently

601Dawg
05-28-2013, 10:57 PM
not Stokes apparently

If he was a JUCO transfer and didn't throw a single inning this year I doubt we see him next year.

engie
05-28-2013, 11:00 PM
Can any of these guys play 3rd? Please tell me we'll have a dependable 3rd baseman next season

Look up 10 posts. MS Gatorade Player of the Year -- younger brother of Tyler Moore(of MSU and MLB fame) -- and MS HS homerun champion(11 bombs) Reid Humphreys will be here. Played for Northwest, where they do a very good job developing players and guys generally come out basically ready to rock and roll. He was tied for 11th nationally in homeruns last year according to Maxpreps -- one behind Chase Vallot, a 2014 MSU catcher commit from Lafayette, LA.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if Humphreys starts day 1 at 3B(or SS if Frasier is gone) and makes a run for SEC freshman of the year. May be placing unfair expectations on him, but I'm that high on how talented he is -- and how prepared he is to deal with a college regimen in general.

mic
05-28-2013, 11:09 PM
Lets dont close the door on
Woody
Lindy
or evn Evan Mitchell for that matter.
Alot of fans wrote off Stratton after his Soph season as well...

Coach34
05-28-2013, 11:10 PM
If he was a JUCO transfer and didn't throw a single inning this year I doubt we see him next year.

because there is no way he sat out this year with arm trouble or coming off arm surgery huh?

engie
05-28-2013, 11:18 PM
I worry about us offensively with having almost no power- but pitching will be sick. Even if Woody and Lindgren dont becometop notch weekend SP's- they will still be on the weekend rosters every weekend- that's all I was pointing out. I dont see us having more than 1 or 2 Freshman contribute on the hill- there just isnt room.

We're upgrading power everywhere but right field, which obviously will leave a big hole. But if Rea hits 4-5 more(which I think is reasonable), we get several from Humphries(I think we should), and several from the catcher position(which is possible between Garner and Collins), we can replace Renfroe's overall longball productivity with us also having several guys who are gap guys that have potential to hit the long ball should improve our overall productivity at the plate.

Humphreys hit a homer every 7.8AB this year -- and a double every 7.8AB. He got an extra base hit in over 25% of his ABs -- which is total insanity with the new bats.

engie
05-28-2013, 11:22 PM
Lets dont close the door on
Woody
Lindy
or evn Evan Mitchell for that matter.
Alot of fans wrote off Stratton after his Soph season as well...

Mitchell is a JR that is most likely gone in the draft...

theloungeinleft
05-29-2013, 12:29 AM
Do you have a link or tweet to this information? I am not sure about Flair, but I believe this is incorrect regarding Brown.

Sandman14
05-29-2013, 12:39 AM
very good thread.

Sandman14
05-29-2013, 01:59 AM
why would flair leave? seems he's about to be getting PT next season as a youngster...

Will James
05-29-2013, 07:17 AM
why would flair leave? seems he's about to be getting PT next season as a youngster...

What position?

Sounds like he sees Humphreys coming into 3B and Detz will be in the lineup at DH if nowhere else.

bulldogcountry1
05-29-2013, 08:22 AM
A couple guys transfer every year. That's to be expected. As long as it's guys that aren't contributing, then there's nothing to worry about.

What I am concerned about is that we didn't get significant PT from a position freshman this year. To have a balanced, consistently successful program, you need to have a freshman or two making a significant contribution so there won't be a gap of experience down the road. When you got freshmen that can come in and compete immediately, it also means that your recruiting is where it needs to be. Yes, we were pitching-heavy this year and got some good innings on that side, but the draft and graduation could leave us with a lot of jobs to fill. Robson got every chance to take LF, but he never could earn it. He would have gotten more PT if we had not faced so many lefties late in the year.

Coach34
05-29-2013, 08:24 AM
What position?

Sounds like he sees Humphreys coming into 3B and Detz will be in the lineup at DH if nowhere else.

That would be my question as well. It seems like he really doesnt have a position- especially after that drop he had at 1B.

Homedawg
05-29-2013, 08:37 AM
just heard from someone that Stokes will likely get some innings next year- low 90's FB- if he gets innings- that makes 11 guys right there. Stokes will be a veteran in his 4th year of college

I didn't mean stokes wouldn't pitch, just that, he won't eat up a stud fr innings. As was said earlier, u will have to preform to pitch come sec time.

HereComesTheSpiral
05-29-2013, 10:11 AM
That would be my question as well. It seems like he really doesnt have a position- especially after that drop he had at 1B.

Just a question, but what if they have been trying to turn Flair into an outfielder? That's the only way I see him playing unless they move Detz to the outfield or redshirt humphries. In reality, I see him transferring to another school.

FreeBoosie
05-29-2013, 10:35 AM
Check your sources, Brown is not transferring.

Coach34
05-29-2013, 10:38 AM
Check your sources, Brown is not transferring.

That's good to hear...hope you're right

War Machine Dawg
05-29-2013, 11:01 AM
Shhhh......talking about player transfers may piss off what's-his-name. May hurt the players' feelings 'n' shit.

Saltydog
05-29-2013, 11:27 AM
Hate to hear about Flair. Thought he could help us next year.

Raytoraid83
05-29-2013, 11:31 AM
I've heard from more than one person that Flair is gone, but Brown isn't going anywhere.

maroonmania
05-29-2013, 03:54 PM
I've heard from more than one person that Flair is gone, but Brown isn't going anywhere.

If Flair is leaving its likely because he is never going to make it anyway in the SEC. Heck, the left side of our infield next year will likely be WIDE open assuming Frazier goes. SS and 3rd will both need players because if you assume Frazier turns pro, Frost is graduating and Norris is pitching that only leaves Detz who is just sort of a makeshift 3rd baseman. Then for SS we've got Britton and maybe Hann (SS or 3rd) and that's it apart from incoming freshmen. We know Pirtle and Rea will start on the right side. Pirtle is draft eligible along with Detz but I think its safe to assume both will be back.

HereComesTheSpiral
05-29-2013, 04:06 PM
If Flair is leaving its likely because he is never going to make it anyway in the SEC. Heck, the left side of our infield next year will likely be WIDE open assuming Frazier goes. SS and 3rd will both need players because if you assume Frazier turns pro, Frost is graduating and Norris is pitching that only leaves Detz who is just sort of a makeshift 3rd baseman. Then for SS we've got Britton and maybe Hann (SS or 3rd) and that's it apart from incoming freshmen. We know Pirtle and Rea will start on the right side. Pirtle is draft eligible along with Detz but I think its safe to assume both will be back.

I think Pirtle will get a look at SS if Frazier leaves and 2nd is Hanns to lose.

Will James
05-29-2013, 04:08 PM
I think Pirtle will get a look at SS if Frazier leaves and 2nd is Hanns to lose.

Is Hann>Britton?

Better yet is there any JUCO that can jump in there. I haven't seen shit from Hann.

CadaverDawg
05-29-2013, 04:25 PM

I think if Frazier leaves, we will have a Britton and Pirtle middle infield. I still think Britton can be a damn good player for us. He typically has a great plate approach and goes to all fields.

War Machine Dawg
05-29-2013, 04:34 PM
I thought the plan was to groom Britton as Frazier's replacement at SS. Dunno if he can hit well enough, but he's definitely got the glove. Wish we could've found a way to use him some this season.

maroonmania
05-29-2013, 04:40 PM
He typically has a great plate approach and goes to all fields.

Let's not get carried away now, Britton will possibly be "OK" at the plate but he would likely be a BIG step back offensively from what Frazier gives us. And Britton got less playing time this year at 2nd/SS than even Hann and I can't remember the last time he actually played in an SEC game. Not saying he can't get the job done but Cohen really hyped him as a true freshman at SS and when the lights came on he was awful defensively and a minus hitter at the plate. He has had a lot of time to mature since then but in no way am I convinced right now that he is definitely our SS heir apparent.

msstate7
05-29-2013, 04:52 PM
Are we sure pirtle won't be drafted? I think he's a better pro prospect than Adam. Both good defensively. Neither have much power, but pirtle has more. Pirtle being a switch and actually playing the position that both would be drafted for makes me think pirtle has a better chance of making mlb

CadaverDawg
05-29-2013, 05:46 PM
Let's not get carried away now, Britton will possibly be "OK" at the plate but he would likely be a BIG step back offensively from what Frazier gives us. And Britton got less playing time this year at 2nd/SS than even Hann and I can't remember the last time he actually played in an SEC game. Not saying he can't get the job done but Cohen really hyped him as a true freshman at SS and when the lights came on he was awful defensively and a minus hitter at the plate. He has had a lot of time to mature since then but in no way am I convinced right now that he is definitely our SS heir apparent.

I missed the part where I said he would be on par with Frazier. Dont read too much into what I posted...I think he has a great aporoach at the plate and that I THINK he can be a really good player for us.

Frazier made quite a jump from Fresh to Soph year...and I think Britton could do the same from Soph to Junior. Of course, he will have to get the Pirtle treatment where he actualky gets a chance to get some at bats....not the Trey Porter treatment.

I think he can be really good....not saying he will be Frazier 2.0

engie
05-29-2013, 05:54 PM
Are we sure pirtle won't be drafted? I think he's a better pro prospect than Adam. Both good defensively. Neither have much power, but pirtle has more. Pirtle being a switch and actually playing the position that both would be drafted for makes me think pirtle has a better chance of making mlb

From the 10th round on, every single player get the same signing bonus. $100k. Literally no difference over those rounds.

In Pirtle's case, he's unlikely to be taken in the top 10 rounds, and thus why he's likely to raise his stock by coming back(he's seen constant improvement this year), and then actually make more money when signing as a senior.

I see sub-10th rounders as a no-brainer to come back and finish school at this point unless they simply want out. The new slotting changes the "negotiation" angle altogether...

maroonmania
05-29-2013, 07:01 PM
I missed the part where I said he would be on par with Frazier. Dont read too much into what I posted...I think he has a great aporoach at the plate and that I THINK he can be a really good player for us.

Frazier made quite a jump from Fresh to Soph year...and I think Britton could do the same from Soph to Junior. Of course, he will have to get the Pirtle treatment where he actualky gets a chance to get some at bats....not the Trey Porter treatment.

I think he can be really good....not saying he will be Frazier 2.0

Sorry, wasn't intending to imply that YOU said he would be on par with Frazier or anywhere close, I was just making the point that he would likely be a big dropoff from Frazier. To be honest though I haven't seen enough from Britton the last year and a half to make any real judgement on him other than to believe that if he was really going to take over at SS then we would have seen more of him this year.

HereComesTheSpiral
05-29-2013, 08:44 PM
Is Hann>Britton?

Better yet is there any JUCO that can jump in there. I haven't seen shit from Hann.

I think if Hann plays in a competitive summer league then he will be a better option than Britton for next year. I give him and Robson the benefit of the doubt because they played high school in Canada and I doubt they saw anything near the level of talent they have seen this year on a regular basis. I'm sure Britton will get the opening day nod, but If there are problems in the field, I doubt he will be a starter very long.