PDA

View Full Version : Will Bama expose TSUN D?

StarkVegas
10-03-2014, 03:10 PM
TSUN fans think they are the 85 bears which is clearly delusional but they have been good against terrible competition. I think reality will set in when the Tide come to town and put it on the black bears. Do y'all think the bama offense will expose that OM defense or do you think the TSUN D is for real?

LiterallyPolice
10-03-2014, 03:15 PM
I think TSUN most likely has a good top 20-ish defense. The problem is that Saban has been known to eat top 20 defenses for breakfast, so they may still get exposed.

Bully Dee Williams
10-03-2014, 03:16 PM
Their first unit is very strong in some spots. Their downfall is size and quality depth in every position on the defensive side of the ball. They will be worn down on the line by bigger and deeper teams like Bama. Their linebackers are nothing special at all and their corners are suspect in my opinion. I will grant them that they do have some great talent at both safety spots, but once again they don't have much depth at that position either. Bama rolls!

Maroonthirteen
10-03-2014, 03:19 PM
That Alabama QB is so fast.... He made some UF defenders look slow in comparison. I don't see OM having enough defensive speed to contain that guy.

starkvegasdawg
10-03-2014, 03:26 PM
If bama will just line up and commit to running it down their throat they will wear them down and win easily. After they do that then Amari Cooper will be able to get open and burn them deep.

blacklistedbully
10-03-2014, 03:27 PM
Have been saying this all season. Never understood the Bear hype.

IMissJack
10-03-2014, 03:28 PM
I think the OM offense gets exposed more than its Defense.

Bully Dee Williams
10-03-2014, 03:35 PM

I think the offense has been slowly exposing itself all season. Their lack of a run game is going to destroy them in conference play. Plus, their Oline is going to get cremated by the heat brought by Bama's dline. Bo is going to get lit up tomorrow.

Westdawg
10-03-2014, 03:38 PM
i am thinking that the game may stay close for a little while, possibly even into the mid 3rd qtr......nah, i hope it is 42-0 at halftime for Bama, and even the Grove is emptied out by then. I want to see chandeliers hanging upside down and someone in a self-induced cough syrup coma laying at the front of VHS. I want it to be such a drumming that even the Klan members who would be trying to march have to take their hoods off in shame. I want to hear "Dixie" played backwards through the speakers, telling the OM faithful ( in a sinister voice) that the end is near and to have the Mannings banished from Oxford......and that is all before the game ends. :cool:

msstate7
10-03-2014, 03:43 PM
I think bama is going to hammer away at the undersized om front 7. I think Om will hang relatively close to late in the 3rd. Bama will keep om's defense on the field for much of the game. Bama 30-7 is my prediction. I think the physical whipping to om's defense will carry over to another loss at aTm next week. Tenn then becomes a must win for om in 2 weeks

MrKotter
10-03-2014, 04:05 PM

Memphis exposed that shitty offense

StarkVegas
10-03-2014, 04:14 PM
Yeah the bear offense isn't any good Bo will throw at least 3 picks tomorrow

sandwolf
10-03-2014, 04:19 PM
I think their defense is absolutely for real. On the season, they have only given up 248 yards per game.....Memphis came into that game last week averaging 498 offensive yards per game and OM held them to 104 total yards. You can try to spin it any way you want to, but that is impressive as hell. From what I have seen, it does look like they have some trouble stopping the run between the tackles, but other than that, they have looked dominant.

msstate7
10-03-2014, 04:21 PM
I think their defense is absolutely for real. On the season, they have only given up 248 yards per game.....Memphis came into that game last week averaging 498 offensive yards per game and OM held them to 104 total yards. You can try to spin it any way you want to, but that is impressive as hell. From what I have seen, it does look like they have some trouble stopping the run between the tackles, but other than that, they have looked dominant.

Between the tackles in just what bama likes to do. Om defense has been impressive though

fishwater99
10-03-2014, 04:50 PM
If bama will just line up and commit to running it down their throat they will wear them down and win easily. After they do that then Amari Cooper will be able to get open and burn them deep.

This is all they need to do, but I expect Kiffen to throw early and often... We will see..

blacklistedbully
10-03-2014, 05:25 PM

This is where the infamous Ole Miss hype comes in. They want you to believe Memphis was a quality win because Memphis was explosive offensively versus UCLA. Here's the problem with that:

Look at UCLA's defensive results in their other games. Pretty much every team that has played UCLA has either had their best offensive performance in total yards, or has come close. ASU amassed 626 total yards in their 35-point blowout loss to UCLA. Here is a partial list of teams that did an as good or better job of defending UCLA's opponents than did UCLA:

Weber State
Richmond
Austin Peay
Middle Tenn
North Texas
Kansas
New Mexico

In fact, of the 13 other teams UCLA's opponents have played, only 3 did appreciably worse than UCLA in total offense given up. So please, let's not pretend putting yards up on UCLA is the sign of a formidable offense. Some of these teams are FCS, and 4 of the FBS programs are in the lower half of the FBS in total offense. UCLA is currently ranked 99 out of 125 FBS teams for total defense. That's pretty telling on its own, but then consider that 3 of the 4 teams UCLA has played have the following Total Offense ranks:

#70 Virginia
#76 Memphis
#110 Texas

How bad does a defense have to be to rank #99 out of 125 when 3 of the 4 teams they've played are the above?

Start digging a little deeper at Memphis and their "explosive offense", and you discover:

Memphis opponent Austin Peay gave up 545 yds to Memphis, but 620 yds to Eastern Illinois. AP is ranked 110 of 121 FCS schools in total defense, despite playing Chattanooga, E. Il & Il State. Memphis gained just 42 yards more than AP's average. Memphis is the only FBS school AP has played.
Memphis opponent Middle Tenn gave up 480 yds to Memphis, but 718 yds to Western Kentucky. MTSU is 90th out of 125 FBS teams in total defense despite playing Old Dominion and Savannah State. Memphis gained just 44 yards more than MTSU's average.

Is Memphis really an "explosive offense" or is it more likely they have simply played really poor defenses?

In short, I think the truth is, UCLA is terrible defensively, relying on their offense to win for them, and Memphis' "offensive explosiveness" is due to the terrible defenses they have played, not because they have a great offense.

Holding Memphis to 104 yards is good, but let's peel away the hype and realize it was not a case of "holding down an explosive offense". Hype, hype, and more hype. Don't buy into it.

Percho
10-03-2014, 05:28 PM

Henry could have 300 yards

RougeDawg
10-03-2014, 05:43 PM
Guys, this is a rhetorical question. It's just a matter of when.

defiantdog
10-03-2014, 05:48 PM

Boise State, Vandy, ULL, and Memphis.... really man?

And Memphis has played Austin Peay, UCLA (which did surprise me) and Middle Tennessee State.

OM's defense has been untested. But you can't tell me that they are much better than Florida's defense, and Bama ate them alive.

gravedigger
10-03-2014, 05:57 PM
Yes tusk is an exhibitionist.

TUSK
10-03-2014, 07:49 PM
This is where the infamous Ole Miss hype comes in. They want you to believe Memphis was a quality win because Memphis was explosive offensively versus UCLA. Here's the problem with that:

Look at UCLA's defensive results in their other games. Pretty much every team that has played UCLA has either had their best offensive performance in total yards, or has come close. ASU amassed 626 total yards in their 35-point blowout loss to UCLA. Here is a partial list of teams that did an as good or better job of defending UCLA's opponents than did UCLA:

Weber State
Richmond
Austin Peay
Middle Tenn
North Texas
Kansas
New Mexico

In fact, of the 13 other teams UCLA's opponents have played, only 3 did appreciably worse than UCLA in total offense given up. So please, let's not pretend putting yards up on UCLA is the sign of a formidable offense. Some of these teams are FCS, and 4 of the FBS programs are in the lower half of the FBS in total offense. UCLA is currently ranked 99 out of 125 FBS teams for total defense. That's pretty telling on its own, but then consider that 3 of the 4 teams UCLA has played have the following Total Offense ranks:

#70 Virginia
#76 Memphis
#110 Texas

How bad does a defense have to be to rank #99 out of 125 when 3 of the 4 teams they've played are the above?

Start digging a little deeper at Memphis and their "explosive offense", and you discover:

Memphis opponent Austin Peay gave up 545 yds to Memphis, but 620 yds to Eastern Illinois. AP is ranked 110 of 121 FCS schools in total defense, despite playing Chattanooga, E. Il & Il State. Memphis gained just 42 yards more than AP's average. Memphis is the only FBS school AP has played.
Memphis opponent Middle Tenn gave up 480 yds to Memphis, but 718 yds to Western Kentucky. MTSU is 90th out of 125 FBS teams in total defense despite playing Old Dominion and Savannah State. Memphis gained just 44 yards more than MTSU's average.

Is Memphis really an "explosive offense" or is it more likely they have simply played really poor defenses?

In short, I think the truth is, UCLA is terrible defensively, relying on their offense to win for them, and Memphis' "offensive explosiveness" is due to the terrible defenses they have played, not because they have a great offense.

Holding Memphis to 104 yards is good, but let's peel away the hype and realize it was not a case of "holding down an explosive offense". Hype, hype, and more hype. Don't buy into it.

The data mining skills are strong with this one!

Nice...

hells bells
10-03-2014, 09:04 PM
Never coached football but did coach soccer the communist sport. I will take power over speed any day. Oregon losing just makes this a uphill battle for TSUN. Hell, all I am ready for is 11 am. Our State, Our Time, Our Team, Dogs Rock!

sandwolf
10-03-2014, 09:54 PM

And Memphis has played Austin Peay, UCLA (which did surprise me) and Middle Tennessee State.

OM's defense has been untested. But you can't tell me that they are much better than Florida's defense, and Bama ate them alive.

It doesn't really matter who Memphis had played. I am not saying that they were an offensive powerhouse.....I am just saying that they have fielded a productive offensive team. The point is that holding ANY team to 104 total yards, is flat out incredible. And to only give up 248 yards per game on average is also impressive as hell. For reference, our best defensive outing was against USM, and we allowed 283 yards in that game. So my point is that they have been flat out dominant against everyone that they have faced and based on what I have seen, I think they are a legitimately good defense.......but we will find out for sure tomorrow.

Homedawg
10-03-2014, 10:01 PM

I think they are much better than fla. Period.

msstate7
10-03-2014, 10:12 PM
This will be the first real test for om's defense. Everyone praises aTm's offense well aTm averages .3 yards more per game than bama. Bama averages 258.5 yards rushing a game and 335.8 passing. That's 594.3 total yards a game which is 4th in the country. Om has out talented every offense they've seen this year. That ends tomorrow.

UpdykeTreeService
10-03-2014, 10:31 PM
Alabama will score at least 63 on Ole Piss. You guys have a bye this week?

preachermatt83
10-03-2014, 10:35 PM
Alabama will score at least 63 on Ole Piss. You guys have a bye this week?

How long will this one last? I say 3 posts. Maybe 4 just bc he has a hilarious screenname.

blacklistedbully
10-03-2014, 11:49 PM
It doesn't really matter who Memphis had played. I am not saying that they were an offensive powerhouse.....I am just saying that they have fielded a productive offensive team. The point is that holding ANY team to 104 total yards, is flat out incredible. And to only give up 248 yards per game on average is also impressive as hell. For reference, our best defensive outing was against USM, and we allowed 283 yards in that game. So my point is that they have been flat out dominant against everyone that they have faced and based on what I have seen, I think they are a legitimately good defense.......but we will find out for sure tomorrow.

Of course it matters who they've played. It also matters who played for them. Comparing our stats versus USM is ludicrous, as they have likely played their starters a helluva lot more than we have. Memphis has played a bunch of really crappy defenses. Did you actually watch their game versus TSUN? They looked agonizingly slow. Ole Miss had a HUGE speed AND size advantage. They won't enjoy that advantage versus Bama, so the expected result should be dramatically different, IMO.