PDA

View Full Version : Should Arizona necessarily be ranked above Oregon?

dickiedawg
10-03-2014, 12:59 AM
There are obvious parallels to our win over LSU, after which many claimed it was absurd to have LSU ranked ahead of us though many did anyway.

Oregon will fall out of the top 10 but not necessarily much farther than that. Maybe 15. Does Arizona catapult to the top 15?

Also, that fumble hurt Mariota's heisman campaign. Go Dak.

TUSK
10-03-2014, 01:02 AM
no.

ScoobaDawg
10-03-2014, 01:07 AM
No. a ranking should measure the body of the work not just one week. Or else, say Arizona loses to USM next week.. does USM then jump higher than UA and Oregon? No...

mcain31
10-03-2014, 03:02 AM
Arizona has beaten them 2 years in a row. I'd move them up. They are a team on the rise

Johnson85
10-03-2014, 04:28 AM
There are obvious parallels to our win over LSU, after which many claimed it was absurd to have LSU ranked ahead of us though many did anyway.

Oregon will fall out of the top 10 but not necessarily much farther than that. Maybe 15. Does Arizona catapult to the top 15?

Also, that fumble hurt Mariota's heisman campaign. Go Dak.

At this point in the season, being undefeated, probably. I haven't watched Arizona enough to know whether they pass the eye test, but unless they've squeaked by 4 terrible teams, I'd say they deserve the benefit of the doubt at this point. If they lose in the future, just move them back down. Also, Oregon barely escapedmwashington state. So maybe Oregon is down this year too.

gravedigger
10-03-2014, 05:58 AM
Well the un asked question is "were the rankings correct in the first place?"

The answer to that is no bc oregon obviously was ranked higher than they should have been.

mcain31
10-03-2014, 06:31 AM
Oregon is going to struggle against teams with good front 7s until they fix their O-Line. I didn't realize how bad their OL was until last night.

BulldogBear
10-03-2014, 06:34 AM
Well the un asked question is "were the rankings correct in the first place?"

The answer to that is no bc oregon obviously was ranked higher than they should have been.

This. Technically speaking a poll voter should more or less be starting with a clean slate each week. He should take in that weekend and the entire body of work and rank them according to what he thinks the best 25 are in order. Although he does take into account the entire body of work, last week's rankings would actually not be supposed to be taken into account. Everybody ranks what they think with the latest week taken into the entire body of work and the new rankings fall where they may.

Quaoarsking
10-03-2014, 07:25 AM
They shouldn't necessarily forever depending on how the future games go, but as of right now, when you're comparing a 5-0 team to the 4-1 team it beat on the road, yes. Absolutely.

Bucky Dog
10-03-2014, 07:45 AM
No way the voters move Oregon out of the top 10! They are just too damn sexy!! With that said, Arizona should be ahead of them this week.

Coach34
10-03-2014, 07:46 AM
They shouldn't necessarily forever depending on how the future games go, but as of right now, when you're comparing a 5-0 team to the 4-1 team it beat on the road, yes. Absolutely.

This

Arizona is undefeated and won on Oregon's field. Hell yeah they should be ranked higher- it's a no-brainer

Sienfield
10-03-2014, 08:12 AM
But how many of the voters will know that Arizona beat Oregon.

sleepy dawg
10-03-2014, 11:36 AM
This. Technically speaking a poll voter should more or less be starting with a clean slate each week. He should take in that weekend and the entire body of work and rank them according to what he thinks the best 25 are in order. Although he does take into account the entire body of work, last week's rankings would actually not be supposed to be taken into account. Everybody ranks what they think with the latest week taken into the entire body of work and the new rankings fall where they may.

This too.... Every week, a voter should forget everything about any rankings from the week before. If I was a voter, I would never go back to look at what teams were ranked the week before or even how I ranked the week before. Every week should be like a brand new season. Every week you have sooo much more information than you had the week before.

Chinchilla
10-03-2014, 03:00 PM
No. a ranking should measure the body of the work not just one week. Or else, say Arizona loses to USM next week.. does USM then jump higher than UA and Oregon? No...

That's a worthless comparison.

If Team A is undefeated and beat Team B on the road, there is not a single reason under the sun that Team B should be ranked higher. That's idiotic.

Spider-Man
10-03-2014, 03:02 PM
Yes.