PDA

View Full Version : WMD's Keys to Victory.....

War Machine Dawg
10-02-2014, 04:24 PM
Gents, WMD's Keys to Victory is now a weekly feature at FWTCT. Here's the Gig 'Em Edition (http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/football/2014/10/2/6850243/wmd-keys-to-victory-gig-em-edition-mississippi-state-bulldogs-vs-texas-a-m-aggies). Enjoy the drill. What did I miss or what would you add? Let's talk keys to beating aTm.

confucius say
10-02-2014, 04:43 PM
Largely agree. Run the ball and stop the run (those are always paramount). Win the turnover battle and win on third down (also usually always paramount, with the notable exception of LSU game where we did not win the turnover battle and struggled on offense on 3rd down).

One thing you talked a little about but did not mention as one of your points was no big plays. Make aTm drive the length of the field, nothing over the top. Admittedly, this will be difficult if we have to bring backers to get pressure, because inevitably it will allow some deep shots down the field if the backers do not get home. Which leads me to my next point:

We must get pressure with our down four so we don't have to bring extra guys consistently. aTm's OL is stout, so this will be difficult. But I really believe, even with all the flash and dash of aTm's skill guys, the game will be decided in the trenches, as it normally is (I'm looking at you ryan brown/a j jefferson/preston smith/chris jones).

War Machine Dawg
10-02-2014, 04:51 PM
Largely agree. Run the ball and stop the run (those are always paramount). Win the turnover battle and win on third down (also usually always paramount, with the notable exception of LSU game where we did not win the turnover battle and struggled on offense on 3rd down).

One thing you talked a little about but did not mention as one of your points was no big plays. Make aTm drive the length of the field, nothing over the top. Admittedly, this will be difficult if we have to bring backers to get pressure, because inevitably it will allow some deep shots down the field if the backers do not get home. Which leads me to my next point:

We must get pressure with our down four so we don't have to bring extra guys consistently. aTm's OL is stout, so this will be difficult. But I really believe, even with all the flash and dash of aTm's skill guys, the game will be decided in the trenches, as it normally is (I'm looking at you ryan brown/a j jefferson/preston smith/chris jones).

That's something I was alluding to when I talked about the importance of tackling. "Their big plays come from broken tackles.....wrap up and get them on the ground quickly." They don't take a ton of deep shots. It's mostly underneath timing routes to get the ball out of Trill's hand, then letting the WRs make guys miss and get RAC yards. If you tackle well and quickly, you're forcing them to drive the field by default.

Definitely agree about getting pressure with the front 4. That said, look again at the point of how they get the ball out of Trill's hands quickly to eliminate pressure.

confucius say
10-02-2014, 05:04 PM
Yep, they do get the ball out quickly by design. QB hurries will be more important than sacks. Trey Flowers of Ark lived in their backfield, and even though Ark didn't have any sacks, Trill was noticeably bothered by the pressure.

War Machine Dawg
10-02-2014, 09:56 PM
Late Thursday bump

thf24
10-02-2014, 10:31 PM
Hill (I refuse to say that nickname) also doesn't have great touch on the deep ball at this point, even their own fans will tell you that. The point of emphasis will definitely be limiting YAC.

LC Dawg
10-02-2014, 10:39 PM
Great points. I would have tackle at one. I just think if we tackle well we strangle their offense. Our 3rd down conversion doesn't really bother me that much. I think a little of it is a product of our substitutions in the first 3 games. I know we didn't have a good conversion rate against LSU but we had some great drives and hit some big plays which I will take. I know keeping the ball away from A&M's offense is important but I really think their defense gives us opportunities for big plays so I think we'll have some short scoring drives.

drunkernhelldawg
10-02-2014, 11:45 PM
I think that's all true. The other thing I worry about is pass protection and turnovers caused by breakdowns there. We've got to protect Dak and the ball.
Are we on the edge of our seats or what, waiting for this thing . . .

War Machine Dawg
10-02-2014, 11:46 PM
Great points. I would have tackle at one. I just think if we tackle well we strangle their offense. Our 3rd down conversion doesn't really bother me that much. I think a little of it is a product of our substitutions in the first 3 games. I know we didn't have a good conversion rate against LSU but we had some great drives and hit some big plays which I will take. I know keeping the ball away from A&M's offense is important but I really think their defense gives us opportunities for big plays so I think we'll have some short scoring drives.

They aren't in any particular order. I put #RTDF number one because it's my number one for us every week. Just go ahead and get it out of the way, so to speak.

Agree that some of our conversion problems were due to treating the first 3 games as preseason. But it's an area of concern since we were only 5/14 against LSU. I know we had the 2 long drives, but we did those quickly. I want to see a more sustained, methodical approach against aTm. As you saw in that UPig game, they don't need much time to score, so limiting their possessions and shortening the game is going to be critical. But I also agree that we'll have a couple of quick scoring drives, too.

One thing is for sure, this game is going to be interesting. And if we can get out of this one with a W.......Katie bar the door!

drunkernhelldawg
10-03-2014, 02:16 AM
Great point you make about possession time and sustained drives. It's gonna be interesting to see what our defense looks like. I've got to feel that whatever it is will work at least sometimes. Katie bar the door, indeed, if we win. But no rest looms on the horizon regardless. We're in the middle of one of the most intense three game stretches in my memory. Katie's got work to do.
Love your feature.

War Machine Dawg
10-03-2014, 10:10 AM
Great point you make about possession time and sustained drives. It's gonna be interesting to see what our defense looks like. I've got to feel that whatever it is will work at least sometimes. Katie bar the door, indeed, if we win. But no rest looms on the horizon regardless. We're in the middle of one of the most intense three game stretches in my memory. Katie's got work to do.
Love your feature.

Appreciate it. And you're right, this is a BRUTAL 3 game stretch. I just mean that for me, this is the most shaky matchup of the season. So if we can survive this one and get back to teams where the matchup is better......look out.