PDA

View Full Version : Which of the Oregon games was the one we lost our starting QB the day b4?

blacklistedbully
10-02-2014, 01:58 PM
Or was it the day of?

Was it the close loss at home or the blowout loss at Oregon?

Todd4State
10-02-2014, 02:00 PM
It was at Oregon. And if my memory serves me correctly, it was the day before. Or at the very least rumors of the tire incident emerged days before the game.

Thrill1
10-02-2014, 02:02 PM
Was day before and I believe it was the 2002 season. My two buds who went heard when they landed in Eugene. Word spread quickly even without social media. Poor Kyle York.

jumbo
10-02-2014, 02:50 PM
yeah, the game at Oregon. And if I remember correctly it was because he got a discount on tires that the tire place gave to all students. Does anyone remember enough to confirm or deny?

BulldogBear
10-02-2014, 02:54 PM
Let me say that if you told me right now that we would play a football game against Oregon THIS season I would take it. Y'all can figure that one out. Hail State!

blacklistedbully
10-02-2014, 03:34 PM
yeah, the game at Oregon. And if I remember correctly it was because he got a discount on tires that the tire place gave to all students. Does anyone remember enough to confirm or deny?

He went to buy tires at a shop. He didn't have the cash or a check, so a booster used his credit card just as a deposit so they would hold the tires for him until he got back with a check. It was never intended that said booster would actually pay for the tires. Fant's mother brought the check over the next day, but the NCAA ruled even the use of the credit card for the hold constituted an "improper benefit".

Political Hack
10-02-2014, 03:38 PM
He went to buy tires at a shop. He didn't have the cash or a check, so a booster used his credit card just as a deposit so they would hold the tires for him until he got back with a check. It was never intended that said booster would actually pay for the tires. Fant's mother brought the check over the next day, but the NCAA ruled even the use of the credit card for the hold constituted an "improper benefit".

yes. he had to leave in a hurry for practice and the tire shop needed a deposit to let him leave with the tires on his truck. I think it was just a random guy in line that knew who he was and helped, or at least that's how I was told the story. Pretty sad what people cause a fuss over sometimes.

CowtownDawg
10-02-2014, 03:59 PM
yes. he had to leave in a hurry for practice and the tire shop needed a deposit to let him leave with the tires on his truck. I think it was just a random guy in line that knew who he was and helped, or at least that's how I was told the story. Pretty sad what people cause a fuss over sometimes.

Per this old story http://mississippistate.scout.com/2/63419.html, it wasn't a random guy, but a friend that he met right after he got to MSU. And, his mom showed up within an hour and paid for the tires.